Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't believe it, it looked just like my Burger. A nasty orange color. Closer inspection showed MADE IN CHINA on the VIN tag.
complete with a too-low profile rear tire.
What do the Chinese do, import a Burger and sit up all night measuring it? Must be easier to copy one than make their own!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Where is what we are supposed to look at?

Bill

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
i probably know what are you talking about. I saw that guy, twas like 300 cc, otherwise almost exact copy of the 400. I was allowed even to start this thing, the bugger proved pretty vibey. No, I can expect such plagiary from China, but some known scooter companies imo should be sued for that. They can feel free to copy the new V-Strom 1000 design though :D

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The latest Suzy 250 bike is made in China so it may not be that long till the Burger is.
http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/promo/000414/

Saw one in a local dealer and was quite taken by it did not suspect it was made anywhere
but Japan although the header pipes and engine finish looked a bit too bright.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
mike1nw said:
I couldn't believe it, it looked just like my Burger. A nasty orange color. Closer inspection showed MADE IN CHINA on the VIN tag.
complete with a too-low profile rear tire.
What do the Chinese do, import a Burger and sit up all night measuring it? Must be easier to copy one than make their own!

When in Cancun,Mexico I sometimes rent a scooter and rented a 150 cc Burgman (brand new) and it is made in China.....

·
Registered
314 Posts
Built in China and engineered in China are two different things. As of the last decade or so China has proven that when outside companies engineer and use their manufacturing techniques and standards along with rigorous quality control systems that good product can be built. IMHO the better way to state what we all know to be true is to refer to bikes engineered in China and built in China by Chinese MFG.

Check the tags on many Piaggio bike, you'll find find the made in China tag.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Deedah said:
Built in China and engineered in China are two different things. As of the last decade or so China has proven that when outside companies engineer and use their manufacturing techniques and standards along with rigorous quality control systems that good product can be built. IMHO the better way to state what we all know to be true is to refer to bikes engineered in China and built in China by Chinese MFG.

Check the tags on many Piaggio bike, you'll find find the made in China tag.
All those Apple products are an example.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I forgot to include the photo, but it's in a link /\ above. Yup nasty orange color.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
China quality stinks! Quality control matters, but the 'quality' is still there. 'Made in China' is still not and won't be 'made in Japan'. But people are buying, so why the US would want to stop this. Money is the final goal, even if you have to eat straw for the sake of it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Steady on boys Ralph Nader had a point about American cars so really its the consumers who want something for nothing that cause the problem as when i was in China it was pointed out to me the quality of the item would be what your prepared to pay for, Just look at apple and most American companies that sold out the American people by moving to China. I'm glad i never became an astronaut as on lift off i just would not be able to get the thought out of my mind that the craft was supplied by the lowest tender and included payoffs as well.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
/\ that's why my father stopped flying- was a paratrooper in WW2- I can remember his words "I'm not getting into an aluminum pop can built by the lowest bidder".

I wonder if hardware on Japanese bikes is made in China- I remember bolts on my Shadow seemed to be made of pot metal.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I've not been keeping up with Chinese made scooters but isn't the Roketa shown here one of the better ones? Big problem is when you need service that you can''t do yourself, you're SOL. If there were a local dealer, i'd go check one out at $2000.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'm in sales and frerquently remind folks that all products are not the same.. just because they appear to do exactly the same thing..
The question.. If you were an astronaut, how would you feel putting yourself on top ofa rocket and supported by systems that were made by the lowest bidder..

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Here it is.
Parked in front of it is a GS500, which I originally wanted but couldn't find last summer. Burgie is just fine, however :)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
This is it, this is the one I saw at my local Wildside Motorcycles shop. No wonder it closed :D

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
For you youngsters out there, I recall that after WWII this country started seeing the import of many "Made in Japan" products. A great many were very shoddy and cheaply made. Early Japanese cars rapidly rusted out. The same was true of Korean vehicles when they first started importing. By the '60's Japanese motorcycles had made a huge inroad in the American market and continued to what you see today. And the Korean cars seem to be doing very well also.

We're now seeing the beginning of Chinese scooters; some bad, some not so bad, some with Japanese or European brands more accepted. It won't be long till you see more and bigger scoots, and cars, made in China, if the USA can remain viable enough economically for the Chinese to want to enter our markets. India is also knocking on the world market doors as well with their inexpensive vehicles.

Its just a matter of time.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I worked for a bike dealer in the 60's and to be honest they were the least trouble of anything we sold,
and the owners came back and bought bigger Japanese stuff when it came available and the rest is history.
We used to get a few back in for service with not a drop of oil in them the owners never checked it, but new oil
and away they went sounding as though nothing had happened, the Japanese are now pricing themselves out of
the UK bike market Triumph from the UK and many EU brands are getting to be better value, lots of BMW's about
but not the BMW scooter never seen one of those, but the UK bike market is on it's knees at the moment and new
licencing laws will only make it worse, it's now much cheaper to pass the test and run a small car so few new riders
will be coming into biking from now on.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
ted clement said:
Its just a matter of time.
It's a matter of nations too. You can't compare these. Chinese quality actually is getting worse, and my prediction it will continue this way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts