Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting this here since it is a past event/ride...

Yesterday returned from a motocycle camping trip to Spring Green, WI. This is one of the annual events put on by the ST-Owners forum members (of which I am still one). Been going to this event almost every year since 2010. Lots of great roads to ride in that area and the trip there and back is not bad either since much of it is in the Driftless area that covers south western Wisconsin, north eastern Iowa, north western Illinois, and south eastern Minnesota. This time I didn't ride all days I was there. I arrived on Wednesday and set up camp in the dry. There was threat of rain every day after that but it only rained for a few hours early early Saturday morning (way before I get up, though I did wake up to hear the drops falling on the tarp) and also a little on Saturday for an hour. I rode to Dodgeville, WI on Thursday. Just a short trip to get some camping supplies at the Walmart there. Then on Friday I rode to Baraboo to meet up with the group riders at the Log Cabin restaurant there and took the long way back to the campsite. I intended to take a different long way to get there but there was road construction that slowed me way down so I re-routed the first leg and took up the long path on the return. Saturday was when the biggest threat of rain was expected and I felt like just chilling at the campsite with about half of the group who also hung out. Sunday morning was dry other than a bit of dew but way better than what was forecast. Always a good thing to be able to pack up a dry tent. Altogether this trip 757 miles. The Burgman performed flawlessly and turned in between 57-61 mpg per tank. The lower number was with a headwind.

Oh, was mostly very warm so we did keep our social distance while keeping back from the fire at night since there were fewer attendees than usual.

Linky to photos of the event

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Did you eat any cheese curds or brats ? Did you witness any high stakes Cribbage games ?

Nice Canopy Sail you got there ....and that Corbin looks Royal !

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES to the cheese curds. Local grocery sells them by the bag from a local cheese maker. This event is called LOCSTOC. That means: Land Of Cheese ST Owners Club.

That big tarp is what I use when there is a good chance of rain to keep my tent dryer and also when very hot and sunny to keep my tent cooler.

Love that Corbin seat. The only reason I can make trips like this without the need to stop before I need gas in the tank. Due to that seat I find I definitely don't need to stop at all other than for gas, and then it's an imposition that I have to stop for that. But I guess I cannot go far without gas in the tank. 😁

Oh, and there are very few gravel roads in the area where I camped. With all the dairy farms it just won't do to end up with gravel dust in your milk and cheese so they pave all the roads that would be gravel in other states. Makes for a lot of curvy hilly fun roads to ride. Just watch out for those sharp curves just over the crest of the hill. No warning and they come up real sudden like. o_O

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Nice camp setup. I need to get one of those chairs...

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
What is that chair ? and could we get a review ?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That chair is actually a rather common backpacker's or camper's chair. It pack into a small size so fits well under the seat with all my other stuff. I found it on Amazon and one of the details I really liked is that it comes with snap on wide feet for using on sand or sandy soil. This particular campsite where I was has very sandy soil and most chairs like this tend to sink in somewhat. It is a very comfortable chair. Not as low to the ground as a few that I have had but not as high off the ground as your typical larger camp chair. REI sells one just like it, as do many other companies that have camp equipment. There are a LOT of brands of this type of chair on Amazon and other sources. Mine has a 250 lb capacity. Many of the riders I have camped with use chairs like these.

Amazon.com : MARCHWAY Ultralight Folding Camping Chair with Anti-Sinking Wide Feet, Portable Compact for Outdoor Camp, Beach, Travel, Picnic, Hiking, Lightweight Backpacking (Orange) : Sports & Outdoors

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I'd seen it at REI in the Before Times, but it seemed a bit of an extravagance.
Now that it's no longer really a good idea to sit in restaurants, something like this could come in handy on long trips.

Beats hanging a folding director's chair off the back, behind the milk crate on the rear rack.
Yes, someone actually did this. It wasn't on a Burgman, though.

·
Administrator
18,347 Posts
I wish I had pictures of MarlynsPrince's Alaska road trio. His Burgman 650 was packed.

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
Registered
857 Posts
Putting this here since it is a past event/ride...

Yesterday returned from a motocycle camping trip to Spring Green, WI. This is one of the annual events put on by the ST-Owners forum members (of which I am still one). Been going to this event almost every year since 2010. Lots of great roads to ride in that area and the trip there and back is not bad either since much of it is in the Driftless area that covers south western Wisconsin, north eastern Iowa, north western Illinois, and south eastern Minnesota. This time I didn't ride all days I was there. I arrived on Wednesday and set up camp in the dry. There was threat of rain every day after that but it only rained for a few hours early early Saturday morning (way before I get up, though I did wake up to hear the drops falling on the tarp) and also a little on Saturday for an hour. I rode to Dodgeville, WI on Thursday. Just a short trip to get some camping supplies at the Walmart there. Then on Friday I rode to Baraboo to meet up with the group riders at the Log Cabin restaurant there and took the long way back to the campsite. I intended to take a different long way to get there but there was road construction that slowed me way down so I re-routed the first leg and took up the long path on the return. Saturday was when the biggest threat of rain was expected and I felt like just chilling at the campsite with about half of the group who also hung out. Sunday morning was dry other than a bit of dew but way better than what was forecast. Always a good thing to be able to pack up a dry tent. Altogether this trip 757 miles. The Burgman performed flawlessly and turned in between 57-61 mpg per tank. The lower number was with a headwind.

Oh, was mostly very warm so we did keep our social distance while keeping back from the fire at night since there were fewer attendees than usual.

Linky to photos of the event
I have a family cabin near the Dells, beautiful area for riding. I have a 650 Exec and it's pretty much my only transportation when I'm up there. Hope you are able to return and enjoy this part of WI again!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a repeat event at the same location the weekend after Labor Day. I haven't fully decided if I want to go to this one or another rally in Northern Iowa. I usually end up going back to Spring Green each year though.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
While in Spring Green, Wisconsin visit House on the Rock :

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wish I had pictures of MarlynsPrince's Alaska road trio. His Burgman 650 was packed.
I bought a Cabellas tent cot at a garage sale last week and tried it out over the weekend south of Mt. Lassen. Despite being a little tricky it to set up its very solid and much wider than the cot I used last year on my Sierra moto trip but far too wide to put on the Burgman. It weighs about the same as the on Marlyn used which made it ard to take out of the car.

I highly recommend the chairs above. I keep my outad one in the top case all the time. Bigger feet would be a big plus. I'm looking for a cot in a similar form.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts