Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok folks i know this isn't about scooters but i came across a book about two actors riding their bikes across europe and the united states,a pretty good read, ewan mcgregor and charley boorman i think their passion for the open road is something we can all relate to,they have their own website "long way round" and their adventure was a tv series on bravo that i unfortunally missed the dvd is on the website but isn't on a us format yet, some of our brothers and sisters across the pond may be more familiar with their journey, but they started out as bike lovers rather than actors making a travel series,i would appreciate any feedback from anyone familiar with this.....thanks

·
Registered
969 Posts
I just saw that there was a book about that, too. I also missed the series. I think I'll ask TIVO to look for it for awhile.

Steve

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually according to http://www.bravotv.com the episodes are going to be reshown starting march 1st, there are some clips and more info there almost finished with the book and i have been pretty impressed with these guys, much more to them than "actors"

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
ronniern said:
i would appreciate any feedback from anyone familiar with this.....thanks
I saw all but the first episode. Really had the very FIRST differant "slant" on the hobby I have ever seen VERY refreshing too. A real story about "real" biking in my eyes. I especially LOVED the episodes in Mongloia and Russia. What Adventure Touring should be defined as. I really loved it for its differant perpective. Catch ALL the episodes if you can. The stuff they get to eat is worth your time alone!
Reminds me of my youth.......Now I think I should do the same thing using a new Honda Rucus 250cc Scooter "mule". Hmmmmm, working up my plan as we speak. Mike

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
If I could get Suzuki (or other manufacturer) to sponser me, I'd do a tour on N. America on a scoot. Give me a bike and gear, pay the expenses, and a small salary and I'll make the 20k miles they did look like a ride to the grocery store. :D

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
If you get the DVD or see the rerun, watch the segments during the passage through Russia.

McGregor learned the hard way that Russian gas pumps don't have an auto-shut-off when the tank is full; got gas in face and eyes.

At the next town, he forgot; gas in face and eyes again.

I felt sorry for him the first time; yelled "Stupid!" at the him (well, at the TV anyway) the second time.

It's kind of a dumb setup. You can't just "fill 'er up." You have to know in advance how much gas you want to add, and pay for that amount up front; and once it starts pumping, it won't stop until that amount is dispensed.

·
Registered
373 Posts
It was a great series, saw it many months ago here in the UK
Most memorable was when they were invited to dinner in Mongolia (I think) and they had sheeps & Goats testicles for the main course!

Andy

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I had Charley come to Beaulieu to give one of his Long Way Round talks - he does a roadshow adding to the footage and answering questions in his unique way. Every visitor who paid for their tickets thought it was money very well spent and I hadn't laughed so much in ages. Ewen was coming as well, but was unexpectedly delayed filming the last Star Wars film at the time.

If the series is being shown in the States I'd expect Charley to tour to support it - if you get the chance, go!

Since then, Charley has done another series about the Dakar Rally which was even better, by virtue that he was a competitor, but fell off and broke his wrist early on so they had to switch the emphasis to the other riders, and his increasing concern for their welfare as the race goes on and the true enormity and danger of the race takes a hold he gets more and more emotional every time they emerge safely from the desert to the bivouac. a PROPER biker, CB... as indeed, is Ewen.

The funniest part of the whole LWR series is the utter, complete and total stupidity of KTM refusing to supply the duo with bikes. The series was already a confirmed production, filming was underway and then KTM took the decision not to supply the bikes as some loopy russian `interrogated` the pair at the LWR offices and decided unilaterally they weren't going to finish... when it didn't matter in the slightest whether they did or not - it was the journey, not the arrival that was important.

BMW took up the mantle at short notice and have sold tens of thousands GS Adventurers off the back of the series - KTM must have lost MILLIONS in potential sales :oops:

It's one of the few motorcycle-based programmes that transcends the motorcyclist audience - even my mother was hooked on the series, and she's in her 70's and hates motorcycles!

The other highlight was how people in the middle of nowhere like the Mongolian steppes still recognised MacGregor, even with the beard and the massive festering zit on his brow! Star Wars comes to Outer Mongolia, the faces were a picture!

And in case you watch the Teutuls the American Chopper boys hosted EM and CB when they got to New York, and in return EM took them riding round London to a little-known motorycle museum which then featured in American Chopper. What next? Captain Kirk aids Obi Wan?

BTW the duo are planning another adventure - Long Way Down - riding from John O'Groats in Scotland to Capetown in Africa - details on the LWR website. Sounds like a great television series already!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Saw the show and read the book. Loved it! Been meaning to buy the euro-DVD with more footage. Afterwards I read about a couple guys from USA doing the route backwards on two Honda Nighthawk 750s. I have a new found respect for them and any air cooled UJM (standard). They really were the perfect bike. Wish they were still sold here (USA).

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
I rented the DVD's from Netflix. Inspiring trip.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Wel I watched the whole series this weekend. :D FYI it is available at cycle gear her in the US.

I also happened to notice that there is plans for another miniseries. The Long Way Down They are going to Africa from Scotland. I can't wait to see it as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I saw some of the series and while I could have done with less face time from the actors it was still a fun show.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I thought Charlie came across as a bit of a wus in the Dakar attempt. :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts