Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! I test drove a Burgman 650 at Americade a few months ago. This was my first ride on a scooter and I was very impressed! I've had several bikes in the past but currently have nothing to ride.

Maybe I'm a little too practical but when I buy new vehicles, I heavily consider long-term maintenance. Since I've never owned a scooter or any two-wheeled vehicle with an "automatic" shifter, how reliable are these mechanisms on scooters? As reliable and durable as any manual transmission on a typical bike? Do they have a bunch more problems as the miles pile on? Are they exceedingly expensive to replace if something major goes wrong with it or is this something that just rarely ever occurs?

Second, has anyone had the first valve adjustment performed yet? If you had a mechanic do it, how much was it? I noticed that it requires removing the camshafts.

How much mileage are most of you getting out of your tires? Have you noticed pretty normal wear or has it been premature?

What kind of fuel mileage are you getting on the 650 model? I see the 400 gets in the 70mpg range.

Thanks.
Jeff M.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Jeff,

Where did you see that there is a valve adjustment involved in the first maintenance? I had mine done and they told me that it was not needed.

Do you know for a fact that it needs to be done? If so, I will need to call my dealer and ask them about it.....

Thanks,

Kenny

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Kenny,
No, I'm sorry. The valve check isn't needed until around 14,500 miles but I'm just wondering how costly such a chore would be since the camshafts have to be removed.

·
Registered
793 Posts
shimmy shimmy shake

Suggestions I've made for myself to do the valve adjustment:

1) Ask local and regional dealers if they stock shims for the AN650's.
Once the covers are opened, I'll want a stock of shims handy to
complete job in one day and I'll use the table in the book to calculate new
sizes.

2) Use service manual to do shim adjustment.
Instructions contained in manual are imperative like on page 2-10 >
Note:
• Be sure to apply engine oil to tappet shim top and bottom faces.
• When seating the tappet shim, be sure to face figure printed surface to
the tappet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re long term questions.

We have approx 18000 kilometers on ours so far.
Concerns-
1. Tyre life Rear tyre averages 8000k's (On our 3rd at the moment.) Front tyre - Still original, probably get another 3 or 4 thousand kilometers.
2. Servicing - Valve clearances 24000 check.
3. Oils - I use Shell SX4 Motorcycle oil every 6000.
4. Spark Plugs.- WATCH carefully when changing them, we had a Radiator holed at the 12000 k service. Not a lot of clearance and easy to bump the cooling fins. Suzuki replaced the radiator (Service done by M/C shop.)
5. Replaced the rear shocks with Koni units
Apart from this would not swap it for the world. Geoff from Tassie

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Covert. Have you overlooked the manual yourself? Being a mechanic I was wondering if you foresee any problems with doing the maintenance. I am a tool & die maker, millwright by trade and consider myself extremely mechanically inclined. Im familiar with shims and feeler gauges. Would you reccomend taking it to a dealer or doing the work myself. I have the manual in PDF format. Note : I also worked in a motorcycle shop in me teen years and know 2 strokes very well, I rebuilt an RZ350 engine from the ground up including boring and honing for new pistons. Work was all done by me. ( runs great btw :D ) Long time before this service is required since its put away for the winter with only 1200 kms on it.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Allwalk, How did you get the manual into PDF? Did you scan it into a computer or is Suzuki selling it that way?
Kawasaki posts theirs on the web and I wish Suzuki would too.

Zook650, Do the aftermarket shocks do better on bumpy roads than stock? There's a dirt road I like to cycle on (Reddington Pass) but the stock AN650 has proven intolerant to washboarded dirt roads.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hey Ajwood I downloaded mine at this website. It's 436 pages so be patient, it takes some time .
***To protect BUSA from copywrite infringement, this link has been removed from open forum.***

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, I would also like to download manual as well, if that if possible. I just went to that web link but there was nothing there to download that I could see. Thanks

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hmmm looks like the person who put it up there has been found out. Sorry Daviv but it looks like it is no longer available :cry:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts