Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I did browse quite lot of threads about Ecm remaps and found nothing relevant that goes to my case. Did anyone among 650 riders felt the need of a "longer" OD while in Automatic ? Did read anything related to OD while in D and understood it is actually engaged, which I can say it's noticeable, but as I give more throttle it immediately goes to 5, or however, exits from that relaxing OD (always talking in D so ratios are different etc).
To talk numbers (in km, sorry Im italian) the correspondent ratio of "OD" while in "D" is engaged only around 120-122 km/h, but if I increase the throttle a bit, rpm increases and it goes to "5" to speed up. Closing it a bit again it won't keep the speed to OD ratio, but will drop down. Im looking to keep it in "OD" but can't manage it trough trottle at higher speeds that it actually engages. It's my understanding altough more fuel burning probably, it extends general gears and cvt belt life requesting less effort but Id like not to switch to D to put it in OD and go more without feeling Im always speeding. Is that something possible to do trough ECM remaps and anyone ever did it ? (or advice not something sane to do to the engine, likewise?)

Thanks in advance

Max

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
If I understand you correctly, you are asking for the ctv, when in Manual Mode to stay in OD for a lesser rev range than at present and can it be mapped to aquire this? It changes down to 5 if the speed goes somewhat under 55mph, thus requiring a rider input to put back into OD. Have I stated correctly the problem you are asking?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Actually it sounds like your trying to maintain the higher ratio in D at speed. I think you need to talk the ErikDK about his Speedohealer install to modify CVT shifting. Basically by modifying the road speed the CVT sees from the sensor he can control the shift points on the CVT to lower RPM in all ratios.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

No Pellbrow. Im asking the cvt when in D, to keep the higher ratio (aka "OD" in manual) even if I increase throttle but not shifting down to a lower ratio (5 in manual).

Great Mjr Ill google the forums about your inputs right now.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree, it would be nice if OD kicked in a bit earlier and stayed there a bit longer while in Automatic mode. Unfortunately that is not the nature of the beast.
If I am cruising at 100+ kms I simply pop it into manual when I attain cruising speed and manually shift it up into OD. It will cruise all day in OD if the manual mode is employed. This I have found is much easier than trying to find a way to "reprogram" the CVT to control when OD engages and disengages.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I agree, it would be nice if OD kicked in a bit earlier and stayed there a bit longer while in Automatic mode. Unfortunately that is not the nature of the beast.
If I am cruising at 100+ kms I simply pop it into manual when I attain cruising speed and manually shift it up into OD. It will cruise all day in OD if the manual mode is employed. This I have found is much easier than trying to find a way to "reprogram" the CVT to control when OD engages and disengages.
Me too!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Got to agree. "D" satisfies probably 95% of the rider population/riding requirements. For those who want to operate outside of this envelope, Suzuki has provided the "M" function. Why not just say 'thanks,' and use it?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I agree. It's a simple solution for a minor problem. Around town freeway riding, I need regular "D" mode for quick shifting in traffic. But out on the open road, "M" and "OD" for the long cruises. It will shift into first automatically should you stop, but I try to put it back in Drive before then.

Speed healers and reprogramming the tranny mapping seems a lot of hassle and expense for a relatively easy thing to do manually.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I'm enjoying the modification every time I'm out riding.

In conjunction with my electronic cruise control, revs rarely exceed 4000 rpm when cruising in the 50 to 60 mph (80-100 km/h) range.

You have to remember that from K5 to L0 the CVT was programmed to satisfy motorcycle journalists used to riding sport bikes "testing" the scooter for 1 or 2 days using their normal sportbike yardstick.
People buy bikes based on these "reviews" and Suzuki didn't want to scare off potential buyers by reviews calling the Burgman sluggish and hesitant to rev out the engine.
The worked-over 2013/L3 model has had the CVT reprogrammed to keep the revs down for fuel economy, and the very annoying 3k rpm lower threshold has been reduced to 2500 rpm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with the M+OD trick, but I keep forgetting it while approaching to a toll only to notice when it's too late and hear that nasty sound of it lowering gears automatically even in M which scares me quite right.

Erik, Im fascinated by the idea of a fully electronic cruise control without cables and pulleys, as well as the speedohealer (altough after reading around I quite don't get how telling the truth about the speed would make the OD longer, but sure my problem :) and scared as **** to even touch a screwdriver.

To make a long story short, replacing my 2005 650 ecm with a 2013 one out of the box, would do the trick ?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Erik, Im fascinated by the idea of a fully electronic cruise control without cables and pulleys
There is an article on here about the Rostra cruise control also. Erik might have something else though.

http://burgmanusa.com/bkb/650+Rostra+Cruise+Control

Or the vacuum controlled Audiovox which isn't as nice.

http://burgmanusa.com/bkb/650+Audiovox+Cruise+Control

Im fascinated by speedohealer (altough after reading around I quite don't get how telling the truth about the speed would make the OD longer, but sure my problem :) and scared as **** to even touch a screwdriver.
The CVT shifts ratios based on speed and other things but if the controller thinks your going faster than you are it will shift the ratios and that changes the RPM's at any given speed.

To make a long story short, replacing my 2005 650 ecm with a 2013 one out of the box, would do the trick ?
Not sure that would work and you might end up with other problems.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I agree with the M+OD trick, but I keep forgetting it while approaching to a toll only to notice when it's too late and hear that nasty sound of it lowering gears automatically even in M which scares me quite right.
It's even worse when you accelerate again, because it doesn't upshift automatically, it just revs up until it bounces the rev limiter at 8500 RPM

MaxMi said:
Erik, Im fascinated by the idea of .. the speedohealer (although after reading around I quite don't get how telling the truth about the speed would make the OD longer, but sure my problem :) and scared as **** to even touch a screwdriver.
Installing one SpeedoHealer will make it rev even higher.
I have two of them.
One gives a reduced speed signal to the speedometer to make it show the correct speed.
The other gives an increased speed signal to the CVT-controller, to make it go into OD at lower speed, and generally reducing the rpm for any given speed.

MaxMi said:
If the price of €850 + shipping doesn't scare you off, read further:

One would need to carefully compare the wiring diagram of your 2005 with a 2013, as well as other information from the service manual.
Here in Europe, we also need to think about the immobilizer system, so you would also need the chip from the 2013 key

The immobilizer verifies that the key ID agrees with ECM ID
by means of radio communication through the immobilizer
antenna. When the ID agreement is verified, the system
makes the engine ready to start.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. No 2013 Ecm in my 2005. One question about the SH :

gives an increased speed signal to the CVT-controller, to make it go into OD at lower speed, and generally reducing the rpm for any given speed.
Im unclear on how the SH would make the OD ratio longer while in D without downshifting requesting more speed opening the throttle a bit. To my understanding, it translates proportionally the signal so the behaviour would be just replicated proportionally with different speed readings equally to the distance read by gps. Am I wrong ? I mean that wouldn't make it a permanent OD uncaring if I open throttle or not.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts