Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have been motorcycling for more than 45 year and am thinking about giving up my DL650 for the 650 Burgman. My question is how well does it work as a long distance touring machine? I'm looking at a 2011 or a new 2014. there is about a $3500 difference. any and all thoughts and advice welcome.
Tks

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I 've been riding about the same length of time and I have toured on cruisers and various touring BMWs. I just got back from a 1,200 mile trip on my 650 and found it to be a better tourer than any of them. With the top box, I can carry as much or more than I could on a BMW with bags and a top box. I could also move my feet around better than I could on other bikes. I also found that I was protected better in the rain and only got wet when we stopped to let the BMW riders put on their rain gear. There are a few things you can add to make touring better (see below).

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
asreichler, welcome to the site.

I own the 400z abs model but also get to ride the 650 Burgman now and again. It's a 2010 model usually but we have a 2009 too. Last year I took it to Italy and covered over 4,700 miles riding solo. It's a great bike. Previously I rode my GSX1400 and DL1000GT on the same route to Italy and although I could go a little faster on those bike than on the Burgman 650, I rarely did. The 650 is just perfect for the job. If cost is not too important, I'd recommend going for the 2014 model as it's styling and mechanicals have been overhauled and it's easier to wheel around with the engine off. It's also more economical by some way I'm told. Incidentally, I've done the same trip now on my 400z abs Burgman and it went very well indeed. It used only just over 70% of the fuel the 650 used but of course I did go just a little slower, keeping to 70mph most of the time. The 650 goes faster in the cruise with less effort with almost as much luggage space as the 400. You won't go wrong with either of the bikes you mention.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
If you don't do cross-country roads, you'll hardly find anything comfier than Lardy in the class or even slightly beyond.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
I 've been riding about the same length of time and I have toured on cruisers and various touring BMWs. I just got back from a 1,200 mile trip on my 650 and found it to be a better tourer than any of them. With the top box, I can carry as much or more than I could on a BMW with bags and a top box. I could also move my feet around better than I could on other bikes. I also found that I was protected better in the rain and only got wet when we stopped to let the BMW riders put on their rain gear. There are a few things you can add to make touring better (see below).
Plus1 and if you stick to the 2011 model you can have it looking like this where as you can't for the 2013-2014 models.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I've done quite a bit of log distance touring on my 650. As others have mentioned, I find it to be a very good touring machine.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Also been riding many many year (ouff), now on second 650, touring with 650 Burgie last ten year, excellent tour bike with more pro than con.

Extremely confie touring bike, very capable !

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I've done about 10k miles in as many months in my 650, most of it touring with several 350 mile days. It is, without a doubt, the finest touring bike I've ridden. I probably don't have quite the breadth of experience with different bikes as others here, but I've owned a couple of Honda sport touring bikes like the ST1100, and would much rather ride the burgman.

Comfort is the biggest factor for me. The feet forward, laid back position of the scoot just begs for long days in the saddle. Throw in the storage, protection and auto tranny plus ample power and the 650 wins hands down. It's not a Goldwing, but then again a GW isn't a burgman either; there are advantages to both. Let's just say, you won't be disappointed.

So far as new or older model, there are again, advantages to both. Personally, I think you get the best deal with used bikes. I got my 05 for $3300 usd. If I get 50k+ miles before the cvt belt goes Davy Jones locker, I will call it a day and look for another bike, well satisfied I got good deal.

Add a rider backrest, Airhawk seat pad, some storage boxes, gps, throttle lock and call it a day for add ons. You won't need much else except some music, fuel and a destination.

Except for the usual suspects, these bikes are almost maintenance free. Good luck on your search and decision.

And welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Yeah , it will carry you comfortably , and just about any thing else you reasonably want to carry any where you want to go . It's no dirt or trail bike like an adventure BMW , but that's not what it is . Experienced scooter guys say it's the RV of scooters , IMO that's a pretty good description . All that said these plastic bodied scooters are a totally different kettle of fish to work on . You might want to watch some of LaDude's videos on you-tube to see what these big scooters are like to work on .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have a 2010 Honda Goldwing that I bought new three years ago. I have over 62,000 miles on it which most of what was put on in a little over two years. Last August I picked up a 2007 Executive that had 3500 miles on it and I soon will have put another 10,000 miles on it despite the fact that it got ridden not at all from November 2013 until March of this year.

So bottom line is while I still prefer my GL1800 for the several hundred mile days mainly because of things like the satellite radio, the GPS and electronic cruise control I greatly prefer the Burgman for anything else.

But if my Burg also had satellite radio, GPS and the electronic cruise control I would likely have a lot more room in my garage because the Goldwing would likely be sold. Just sayin' it like it is.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I’m a newbie compared to a lot of members. I’ve only been riding for nine years, starting at 53 years old – scooters only. I thought it would be fun to tootle around on a Honda Elite 80 to do local errands. Two months later I bought a Burgman 400 to ride the local Santa Monica mountains & canyons, and do some freeway commuting to work.

Then the LW (little woman) discovered she loved riding pillion. We did a couple of overnights to the central coast of California (San Simeon) and the San Diego area. Loved it. Bought Burgman 650 #1. Now have done annual 1800-2300 mile summer tours of Calif/Nevada for seven years straight.

We ride the roads less traveled to avoid the Interstates whenever possible. We've crossed the Sierra Nevada over every pass – Tioga through Yosemite, Sonora, Ebbets, Monitor, Carson, Yuba & Donner.

We’ve ridden through the mountain redwoods of Sequoia and the coastal redwoods of Humboldt and Santa Cruz.

We’ve cruised past Mt. Whitney off US 395, and taken Hwy 89 to Lake Tahoe, Mt. Lassen and Mt. Shasta.

We’ve toured the wine country in Santa Barbara and Napa & Sonoma. We’ve done Hwy 1/Pacific Coast Hwy/Big Sur multiple times – South to North, North to South. Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge is always a rush.

And then there’s the world class moto byways like Hwy 36 between Red Bluff & Fortuna ("Twisty roads next 140 miles"); Hwy 58 from the Central Valley and Paso Robles, and Hwy 33 north from Ojai.

I plan most days for 250-300 miles. We stop to smell the pines, the sea air, or the chardonnay grapes.

I sometimes think about if I’m missing out by not riding a Beemer, Yamaha or Honda sport tourer. Naw. With a soft-sided suitcase under the seat, and a pair of Cortech saddlebags strapped on, we’re good to go.

From 107 degrees in the Anza Borrego Desert to 39 degrees and snow flurries one summer on 9950 ft. Tioga Pass, the 650 has never even taken a deep breath. The 650 can tour.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
you can tour wherever you want on the Burgman, put gas, get a backrest and enjoy...see here:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi, 2005 650 Burgy here and I'm about to put it over 87,000 miles. Just got back from a 4,500 mile trip. I put a Corbin saddle on it with a backrest, and it's harder than most, but it actually works better than the one I had on my 78' Wings. I don't know why, but it does, but everybody's body is different. I ride from dawn to dusk a lot.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The Burgman 650 is the best mid size touring motorcycle you can buy. In drive it will cruise all day long at 85 mph and not even breath hard. If your out west and traffic is light you can always put it in Manual and 6th gear. 5500 rpm is 95 mph. The only thing that limits the Burgman is that it does not come with all the gadgets a Goldwing has. Someday Suzuki will get the message and build a 1000cc Burgman with all the gadgets you need.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well folks I hear you loud and clear. get it and go. thanks for all of the input.
now I need to figure where to mount the map and the GPS.
Allen

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
well folks I hear you loud and clear. get it and go. thanks for all of the input.
now I need to figure where to mount the map and the GPS.
Allen
GPS mounting gear:
Amazon.com : Vehicle Mount for Bike : Gps Vehicle Mounts : Camera & Photo
Amazon.com: Ram Mount Cradle Holder for Universal X-Grip Cellphone/iPhone with 1-Inch Ball - Non-Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
Amazon.com: RAM Mounts RAM DBL SOCKET ARM A-LENGTH Body Other Bases BLK- RAM-B-201U-A: Sports & Outdoors
Amazon.com: EDO Tech® Ultra Compact Direct USB Hardwire Car Charger Cable Kit for Garmin GPS Nuvi StreetPilot, Great for Vehicle and Bike (no traffic receiver): GPS & Navigation

This set up has a universal X-mount for the gps, but ram makes mounts specific to each unit if you like. The permanent charger is really easy to install on my 650, only took 20 minutes and a screwdriver, no soldering necessary.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cherie what tank bag is in your second picture? Where did you connect the GPS power cord? Is it always on or key activated.
Do you know if you can attach a top case to the 2014. I imagine you have to remove the passenger back rest. Will the 2014 allow for attaching GIVI hard bags?

·
Registered
122 Posts
In the past, I ran a cord out of the bottom left corner of my glove box from the power plug there and then up to my GPS.
Now, I have a hardwired power adapter installed permanently.

Kim

1 - 20 of 95 Posts