Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only had my 400 a couple of weeks now, but thinking of touring with it next summer. No, I don't need (or want) a 650. I'm not in a great big hurry and don't need to ride 80+ mph on the Interstate. I just sold my Honda NT700 tourer. Time to slow down and smell the roses and alfalfa. 60 to 70 mph on the back roads sounds great to me.

What experience do others have touring with the 400? Has it only been solo, or any two up? What modifications have you found necessary to make it comfortable and capable? How much gear do you carry, and how do you carry it?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I look forward to hearing about your successful adventures. Anyone?

Rich

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
@Yoda : I've done few trips 500-600miles only. 2 up, the 400 handles well, it has some issues with crosswinds but that is expected. Windscreen such as the givi af266 or clearview will help with the buffeting, a throttle lock sort of thing will provide relief to your hands, also most people out there use grip puppies to reduce the amount of vibration being absorbed by the hands. Also backrest will provide additional confort and if budget allows any sort of intercom with your passenger. Additional power charger to plug into the cigarette lighter to feed any electronic devices you got. storage wise, at the moment i refuse to install a top case, I've bought a give saddle bags and use the 63L storage capacity under the seat works just fine for my needs.

the 400 will do just fine at the highways, will keep up and have plenty of power to take on anything on the road, except pot holes!

that's my take.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
What experience do others have touring with the 400? Has it only been solo, or any two up? What modifications have you found necessary to make it comfortable and capable? How much gear do you carry, and how do you carry it?

Rich
My wife and I have gone on some long day trips two-up, including mountains however, she did not like the air to the helmet the passanger gets. Now, we each have our own 400. I have ridden solo one 500 mile day on a two-day, 950 mile trip on a stock seat. I now have and highly recommend an AirHawk seat cushion (medium cruiser size). I tried and didn't care for a gel cushion. An aftermarket windshield is almost a must. They eliminate the buffeting you feel due to the stock shield flexing, and are much quieter. I like the Givi AF266. It's pricey but, adjustable. It also gives hand protection which helps on colder days.

This summer we took two extended trips. One was just the two of us and we covered 1700 miles over six travel days. We camped about half the time and carried everything we needed. Full camping gear for two would be more difficult with two but, possible if frugel and purchasing food daily. We each have Bestem 929 top cases as well as soft saddle bags. The second trip was 1800 miles over nine days, all over Colorado south of I70. Many mountain passes as well as Pikes Peak. Didn't camp so, packing was easier. No complaints on either trip on the bikes' capabilities. I take mine anywhere there is decent road, and have put over 21K miles on it since getting it 18 months ago.

In any case, take a compact, 12V air pump and tire patching materials, basic tools, package of lemon Pledge wipes (used by many on windshield) and, I'm sure others will chime in with other recommendations. Just do it and have fun!

Reactions: Kilted Tailor

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
In 2011 three of us did a 2500 miles long trip to the Big Bend and Davis Mountain areas of West Texas. Two were on 650s and the third was on a 400. The fellow on the 400 had no problem running with us on the 650s. The year before that a friend and I went on a 1600 mile trip to Missouri. I was on my 650 and she was on my 400. Again the 400 ran right along with the 650. I can pretty well say the 400 is a decent one up tourer.

·
Registered
427 Posts
There you have it! Pack seasonably, and for solo you will have a blast. I did two three day trips last year, no problem all my camping gear, and food fit in the trunk. My camera on a hump bag that I made up, and the sleeping back on the passenger seat.

What helped me was, changing out the rollers to sliders on the variator for better response, and they dropped the cruise rpm about 800. Stock wind screen is bad, I have since fitted a Givi and look forward to more comfort next year. I could easily do 190 miles per tank and did one 200+ mile tank without running out of gas.

Have fun these are great machines.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Did a 1600 mile trip on rt 50 from Va to Ill and back this summer, the 400 was great got 68-73 mpg the whole time.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Sure, we can talk about touring

Talk to the man who's been to all 48 of the lower states and dipped his 400 in to both Canada and Mexico (don't recommend Mexico unless you speak Spanish and still . . .).

On my current 400 (K9) I've been from Death Valley to Mt. Evans on my last trip - 2011, with several stops in between. On the previous one (K5) I made the lower 48.

During the summer of 2012 I was set to go to Alaska and all throughout Canada (north, south, east and west), however, my wife's heart surgery and 37 day stay in two hospitals plus one full cardio/pulmonary arrest cancelled that plan.

What specifically do you want to know about touring on the 400? I do recommend that you avoid speeds much above 65 mph indicated/6,000 RPMs. It's been my experience that when I went 70 mph, my MPG crashed to less than 50 MPG. Consider what you save in fuel/oil/etc. by going a bit slower - besides, you're not stopping so much for fuel.

Let me know if you want more information. The 400 does have its limits, but it's also one tough little machine. Both of mine have been honored by Harley riders, BMW riders, etc. My average trips were around 4,500 - 5,500 miles, and that was with the old K5 which was "supposed" to have those horrid valve checks/adjustments done every 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The 400 is a fine touring machine. I've not taken it quite the distances my fellow forum commenters have, but 350+ miles in a day is absolutely no problem.

I wince a bit at the two-up part, the clutch always seems to drag and power reduced when I do so. I'm of the ilk that you buy a bike that can do 90, in order for it to do 70 comfortably. The 400 can do two-up, but not comfortably, mechanically wise. IMHO. But then again that depends on the size of the riders. 250lbs of rider and passenger will have a much easier time than a 400lbs couple.

Other than that, a backrest, seat cushion, etc., whatever your preference, makes the trip that much more comfortable. Good luck and enjoy that new bike.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We try to stay lean, I weigh a little less than 170, my wife about 150. The only plans for two up would be day trips out and back here in New Mexico without any luggage or gear.

Anything longer, overnite, or camping would be solo. I plan on strapping a dry pak on the pillion seat for any gear that won't fit in the 'barn' (as I call it) under the seat.

So far, my only mods include Grab On foam grips, a Givi tunnel bag, and a Cee Bailey windshield (on order, due soon). I have an Air Hawk R cushion for my seat left over from my Honda NT700, although I haven't found ANY need to use it for short trips yet. The Burgman seat is much more comfortable than the NT.

After hearing of all the other long distance exploits by so many other 400 riders, I am inspired (stoked?) to head out on the highway. Thanks for all the input, it is much appreciated.
Rich

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Rode my '05-Burgman 400 from Indiana to Bemidji, Minn.
last July...in fact, 2 July's in a row, to Minn.
Gone 8 days each time.
Then went to Corbin, KY in Sept. Gone 6 days that time.
YOU CAN DO IT !!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Key point.
That's exactly why I wince a bit with two-up riding on the 400; you need to evaluate the situation beforehand. There is a significant degradation of performance once you start hitting a very obtainable weight limit of 350lbs or higher.

Considering the main demographic for Burgmans, and Maxi scooters in general, is men 40-60 years old, it's easy to see why the b400's weight limits are easily surpassed riding two-up. The bike performs nicely hauling 250lbs of weight. But How many middle-aged men are sporting a 150lb frame and toting a 100lb wife? There's not many in the US, that's for sure.

Now on the 650, I don't think twice about two-up. It can easily handle 400lbs with virtually no degradation of performance. So, for me, it comes down to a comfort-level with the bike's capabilities. I'd rather under stress a bike than ride at it's limits.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
We try to stay lean, I weigh a little less than 170, my wife about 150. The only plans for two up would be day trips out and back here in New Mexico without any luggage or gear.

Anything longer, overnite, or camping would be solo. I plan on strapping a dry pak on the pillion seat for any gear that won't fit in the 'barn' (as I call it) under the seat.
You should be fine. 320lbs is still within the b400's comfort zone. You'll probably lose about 5-10 mph on the top end, but that still gets you to 80 mph; plenty fast enough for the highway. And your one-up days will be shear joy. It's a great solo touring bike. Personally, I've never needed more storage than the trunk for a nice weekend trip,

I'm jealous. NM is beautiful. I can see why you need some touring capabilities. Have a wonderful time on that bike. You're gonna love it.

Oh BTW, many scooterheads jokingly refer to the trunk as "the pet carrier". I know, that's just wrong, but still kinda funny. :laughing2::rolleyes::eek:

·
Registered
748 Posts
I ride 2-up all the time and have ZERO issues doing it. I'm sure if I tried a 650 I may think different, but regardless, it'll still take both of you for many, long, fun rides.
So I guess I agree with all the others, nice bike!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I ride a 350 mile day two up with no problems at mostly motorway (highway) speeds. I'm 175lbs as is my passenger. Mostly I'm at 70mph for the duration but slower on the back roads. Make sure to crank up the preload on the rear suspension, it make a huge difference inspite of what you might read on some threads here. The bike will still hit 85-90mph in neutral conditions two up ie: calm day, little wind etc. Just takes longer to get there! But I don't do that very often these days. Fuel consumption is still good at 66-69 miles per Uk gallon for the day. I've had the 650 for the same trip and for me, there was no real gain to be had in terms of comfort or handling. Just a much bigger fuel bill! IF you are doing two up over long distances ALL the time, then the 650 will shine as the one to go for. But most are happy with the 400 for everthing. I'm going on a 4,000 mile run to Italy next year on mine. I'll be solo, but loaded heavily. I know I will be fine and have lots of fun.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One other point about my riding here in New Mexico. I live at 5290 feet elevation, and many of the day trips here include mountain roads up to about 7500 feet. That amounts to aproximately 15 to 20 % power loss, so ANY vehicle does not perform as sparkling as at sea level, but it feels normal to me after living here for 35 years. Any time I go "down" to lower elevations, it feels like I have a hot rod, with any of my vehicles!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Interesting subject, high Altitude performance of the burgman. Could be a thread unto its own.

Locally in Los Angeles, the highest roads top out at 8k feet or so. I haven't felt any appreciable degradation of power, but I was one up traveling light on day trips. Maybe some other, more traveled riders could shed some light on the subject.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
One other point about my riding here in New Mexico. I live at 5290 feet elevation, and many of the day trips here include mountain roads up to about 7500 feet. That amounts to aproximately 15 to 20 % power loss, so ANY vehicle does not perform as sparkling as at sea level, but it feels normal to me after living here for 35 years. Any time I go "down" to lower elevations, it feels like I have a hot rod, with any of my vehicles!
Before she got her own, my wife and I rode two-up several times over the Grand Mesa, just east of Grand Junction here in Colorado. It tops out at something over 11,000 feet. Granted, the speed limits were slow, particularly over the curvies but, we were able to do the posted speeds plus, and I had no complaints.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Been up and down the west coast, as far north as Portland, OR, and a far south as San Diego, CA, on my '07 Burgman 400. Over and back across the Sierras several times. Solo riding, sometimes with camping gear, mostly without. I tend to travel pretty light. Never had the slightest problem. Only mods have been a Givi windscreen (original really is awful!) and 19G Dr Pulley sliders when I did the 15K maintenance.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts