Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on a grand journey (CO->IL->OR->BC->NM->AR->CO) spinning the wheels off my trailer and taking my scooter out to play on interesting roads. Last week it was Going-to-the-Sun in Glacier NP. This week it was Lolo Pass on the MT/ID border. I planned this ride based on previous remarks in this forum.
I'm camped at Lolo Hot Springs, about 10mi on the MT side of the summit/border. There is also a lodge, restaurant, and pool there. As I pass the summit I see this sign, "Winding Road Next 99 Miles". It's for real! There's fuel, food, & lodging at Powell, ID, about 10mi from the border. The next stop is Lowell, ID - 65miles away. And it's all twisties, surrounded by lush evergreens with a river along side most of the way. They're not too technical, most can be navigated at 40mph+.
The real trick is keeping your focus for 100-200 miles; a long straight stretch is less than a mile on this run.
About a mile from Lowell I see what looks like a pearl Burgman coming up canyon. Hard to tell at closing speeds of 100+. This is the first Burgman I've seen on this trip. I pull into Lowell for lunch and there's a silver 650 parked in front of the café. As I dismount, the pearl bike pulls up. We both say, "Another Burgman!" I add, "Did you notice the silver one?" to which he replies, "That's my wife's." He happens to be our own dsfrasier from Calgary, AB, Canada.
After a pleasant lunch, we head out together. They are headed up canyon, and I decide to turn around and head back to camp. We stop at the summit visitors' center for some commemorative purchases, and again at my camp for refreshing drinks. They headed on into Missoula for the night.
So not only did I have a great ride, I got to meet some neat people. What a day!

·
Registered
438 Posts
That was lots of fun. My wife Jocelyn and I were on our way to Missoula after coming down to Orofino through Thompson Falls and Yaak. We pulled into the cafe at Lowell for some lunch, and were just sitting down when the waitress ran out the door and tried unsuccessfully to stop a customer from driving away without her purse. I jumped on my bike and motored after them and had just caught up as they made a U-turn and headed back to the cafe. I turned around and followed and was very surprised to see someone parking a black Burgman where mine had been parked a few minutes earlier. I imagine he was just as surprised to see Jocelyn's bike as he came in to park and even more so when I rolled in behind him. Another Burgman! LOL! and we went in, the three of us had lunch, swapped stories, and laughed a lot. Anyway, we decided to ride east together. The Clearwater River is beautiful and the road curves constantly, all the way along the valley to Lolo Pass itself. We stopped a few times to rest and chat and then for stickers and then finally to meet Angie, the cat.

This is a rare event, at least for us. We live in Calgary and tour in the summer. This year we've ridden 6000 miles through two provinces and four states and seen only two Burgmans, a fellow on a silver 400 on his way to work in Deadwood and then Steve, on his black 650. He has it decked out very nicely. In any case, we had a good visit, parted as friends, and hope one day we might ride together again.

Cheers!
Scott Fraser

That's Jocelyn, with Steve farther ahead.

It's a very nice road.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just wanted to say hey to SPSTools,
We bumped into each other yesterday at the BC Tourism Office. I was riding home from work and saw a black burger in the parking lot so pulled over and noticed the BUSA logo on the back. SPSTools was just walking up to his wheels so we chatted for a bit. Enjoy your ride in Canada and stay safe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts