Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Such as, on a trip, how many of you put a padlock through the rear brake disc?
With a nylon ribbon attached and tied around handlebars so you won't forget the next morning 馃槚?

Reactions: Dave_J

Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
I have a disk lock that I sometimes use on the front disk with a hi-viz lanyard to the grip on one side. Rear brake disk too hard to get to for older riders.

Reactions: Shutterbug

Super Moderator
Where possible I use the purpose designed hole in the bodywork to lock the bike down (also to a ground anchor in my garage.

Its harder to access for anybody to cut as it鈥檚 more central

Registered
I bought an alarm last year (not expensive), and a friend had his car stolen, so that was trigger for me to move my behind and install it. not terribly difficult. just time. around 4 hours. first time removing the front fascia. thats why. im shocked how huge they make it but almost no space there.

I also use a disc lock with the 'reminder" lanyard on the front disc. at least the pos sits under the street lamp. and the blue flickering light alarm light helps. I believe in the better safe then sorry mindset. ive had too many of the sorrys

im still trying to think about how to make an oil fill hole cover so no one pulls a stunt to put something in the engine. that always worries me. I put heavy red grease on the cap so I can see if it was tampered with. not a protection but at least an indicator of sorts if it was touched. yes, some bad people here whod do it. no doubt.

Registered
2014 Burgman 400
That and setting the Parking Brake (for those that don鈥檛 know).
I have a few disk locks, both have built in alarm, both are somewhere in my storage shed 馃, one I used a few times about 15yrs ago, one that's still new in box Xmas gift over 10yrs old, well in a nutshell don't like the potential of FU your brakes or dropping bike, etc. I've also seen plenty of failed results 馃槫 , humans are very capable of ignoring any FU prevention devices, do it daily,馃槚

The parking brake is a excellent deterrent, most potential thieves would be dumfounded and move on.

Registered
I hope you removed the batteries from those stored disk locks. After 15 yrs they WILL leak or at least be dead, even if not ever used. Disk locks with alarms usually use button batteries so more likely they are just dead.

Administrator
When I did ride over 200 miles from home and stay overnight I always lock the forks, lock the key shutter and put my Krypto Disc Lock on the right disc rotor and run the BRIGHT ORANGE lanyard up to the throttle. It would be a STUPID day if I somehow ignored that Lanyard.

Reactions: SemBurg

Administrator
I have seen a few bent rotors and busted caliper tabs. The Lanyard helps a lot.

Reactions: JRoss

Registered
If you ignored that lanyard, or worse forgot to put one on, you deserve to dump the bike... and have an audience... and with at least one person making a video of it to post on YouTube.

Registered
2014 Burgman 400
I hope you removed the batteries
Yes I did, they will probably go in the trash one of these days, I would never pass such a bad idea to anyone, friend or foe, 馃槼

Krypto Disc Lock on the right disc rotor and run the BRIGHT ORANGE lanyard...
In my long tenure as aircraft mechanic, saw plenty commercial heavy jets (737,747,767, 777, etc.), takeoff and then return, with landing gear, ground safety pins installed, landing gear would not retract, these pins also have long red lanyards in addition to detailed pre-flight checklist to insure they are removed !! Also had a few fellow mechanics that "died" because they removed same pins at the wrong time 馃ズ

Again never underestimate the "Human Factors" in any situation.

Never underestimate the power of stoopid 馃槈
We all have drank the stupid Koolaid at some point, some have been luckier than others.

If you ignored that lanyard, or worse forgot to put one on, you deserve to dump the bike.
I really don't have a good reply or comment for that POV 馃 馃

Registered
That was a comment aimed at the general "you" not any person in particular. Or maybe if you prefer it was partly aimed at Dave's comment? No reply needed.

• Haha

Registered
Yes I did, they will probably go in the trash one of these days, I would never pass such a bad idea to anyone, friend or foe, 馃槼

In my long tenure as aircraft mechanic, saw plenty commercial heavy jets (737,747,767, 777, etc.), takeoff and then return, with landing gear, ground safety pins installed, landing gear would not retract, these pins also have long red lanyards in addition to detailed pre-flight checklist to insure they are removed !! Also had a few fellow mechanics that "died" because they removed same pins at the wrong time 馃ズ

We all have drank the stupid Koolaid at some point, some have been luckier than others.

Ex aircraft mechanic/rotary wing mechanic as well...22 years past. "Remove Before Flight" and on the pre-flight and on the pre-flight checklist. They still do it.

Administrator

Ex aircraft mechanic/rotary wing mechanic as well...22 years past. "Remove Before Flight" and on the pre-flight and on the pre-flight checklist. They still do it.
Sounds like some stiff fines or firing someone need to happen.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts