Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a lot of people put in safety measures for this but unfortunately mine is too late. I've locked the keys and everything I own in the scooter... No money, no cards all gone. Is there any way to get in easily?

·
Premium Member
13,040 Posts
sure, just use your emerge--- oh,,, right, what model and year? and maybe location, someone may be close enough to help. and maybe help with the seat release mod that takes 20 minutes that you will never use because you never lock,,, oh,, right.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Plus it would help to have a 2nd key. Most Burgmans come with 2. Maybe there is a way to remove the side plastic to get to the lock cable and cut the plastic sheath to pull the cable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately I am in Australia... Queensland. I have found an option to unscrew the front panel. There's no spare keys unfortunately they were lost through another disaster. I have a 2017 Burgman 200. What a nightmare ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey there fellow QLD'er. Where abouts in QLD?

Not sure how different a 200 is to a 400, but the 400 is actually very easy to get in to. You just take of the Tupperware at the back and you'll see a little bit metal clip, push that and bingo she's open.

·
Premium Member
14,302 Posts
I've seen a lot of people put in safety measures for this but unfortunately mine is too late. I've locked the keys and everything I own in the scooter... No money, no cards all gone. Is there any way to get in easily?
Not sure how different the body work is on the 200 but if you can find a place where you can see the cable running along the frame then squeeze it tightly with a pair of pliers and give it a pull toward the front of the bike. That should get enough movement on the cable at the seat latch to trip it.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I thought someone said to start disassembling starting with the taillight? Anyway, you need to start taking things apart. Sooner or later you'll get to the seat latch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey there fellow QLD'er. Where abouts in QLD?

Not sure how different a 200 is to a 400, but the 400 is actually very easy to get in to. You just take of the Tupperware at the back and you'll see a little bit metal clip, push that and bingo she's open.

I am on the Gold Coast Surfers Paradise. I will try that this morning. And then put in safety measures.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can see the seat latch. But my dissasemly skills are not good enough to get close to it with pliers. I shall keep trying. What a great way to spend a public holiday

·
Administrator
20,590 Posts
Glad you got it open.
We use to take a flat paint stir stick and swat flies in mid air. We would put some Army Combat rations out in the sun and wait for the flies to show up. Then see who could wack more in 2 minuets. Things you do when board and can not drink beer.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Congratulations! Now remember to purchase an extra key, or do the emergency seat release mod or carry a paint stick with you in the future!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Pleased you got it sorted, I'm just a bit north of you and ozjeff

Cheers

Ernie

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for posting this thread. I'm glad you were able to get the under-seat storage open.

But I was thinking about how I ride. I only carry a 20-lb pack of tools and when I am riding one of my bikes I just strap it on the back or carry the pack on my back. But on my new (to me) scooter I have been putting this pack in the under-seat storage. Now that's fine. But I also have my extra key in that pack. Which is not fine.

Once again, thanks for the post -- it exposed a possible bad scenario for me. :thumbup:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Slow and steady.... you will get there , I did the same on my 05 400 took me about 1/2 hour to get in but I was working careful as the old girl has not one blemish in her original paint. I removed the back panel above the tail light and was able to place a thin screw driver against the cable latch and pop the trunk. Good luck. These locks can be a bit fiddly.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Amelia,
First off ... Welcome to the forum.
I don't know if you looked into this, but there are threads on installing a secondary seat release. Also, I'm not sure how the 200 is configured, but it didn't appear much different than other Burgmans.
In the link below, there is info on attaching an alternate cable that can open the seat without the key. My purpose was merely to open up while the bike is running ... others, for damaged cables.
It's a simple, inexpensive modification that's well worth it.

https://burgmanusa.com/forums/12-general-discussion/151130-emergency-seat-release.html

1 - 19 of 19 Posts