Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'Day All.
An incident worth mentioning.
I filled Ingrid (The Burgman 650) up at a Servo with the scoot up on the centrestand. Paid the man, pushed off the centrestand and rode out of the Servo. Heard something go "clunk" on the way out. Bloody thing was locked in first gear.

Apparently, this is a problem known to Suzuki as they sent a new part (under warranty) along with instructions on how to make up a guard.
There is a sensor switch underneath the scoot that, when the scooter is put up on the centrestand, it locks the gearbox in first gear. Presumably so you won't try to find out the top speed of the scooter whilst it is on the centrestand. This switch is exposed to all sorts of gunk when you are riding and seizes up after a while and the bike thinks the centrestand is still down and keeps it in first gear. Down here in Australia, we have some pretty crappy roads believe me.
Anyway, after the mechanic fixed the problem, (under warranty), he suggested that I check the switch every now and then and give it a squirt of WD40 to get the gunk away. It is also an idea to lubricate the centrestand hinges because if it doesn't retract all the way, the same problem occurs.
Hope this saves someone the grief I had for a short while.

Steve.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Incredible!
Man - thanks Steve!
I learn a new thing about these bikes almost every time I'm here.
-Pete

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I generally lubricate the centerstand, the centerstand switch, and the sidestand switch several times each riding season. If you ride in the rain a lot, or wash the scoot frequently, it should be done more frequently.

Just returned from Scootercade, and several hundred miles of rain riding on the trip. My centerstand is sticking (of course...). I will lube all that stuff tomorrow. I've tried 3-in-1 oil, WD40, even chain lube on the centerstand - nothing seems to last that long. They really should put grease fittings in the centerstand pivots.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Steve

Thanks for the heads up

Always nice to have the solution BEFORE the problem

Bill

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Thanks for that - but we have had a forum member with that problem before - good reminder tho' :wink:

·
Registered
822 Posts
pauljo said:
I've tried 3-in-1 oil, WD40, even chain lube on the centerstand - nothing seems to last that long.
I had that problem too... stuff like 3-in-1 lasted about a couple of hours (depending on where you're riding it). But when I threw some grease on the hinges that solved the problem! I'm using synthetic grease and it works great!

·
Registered
279 Posts
pauljo said:
I generally lubricate the centerstand, the centerstand switch, and the sidestand switch several times each riding season. If you ride in the rain a lot, or wash the scoot frequently, it should be done more frequently.

Just returned from Scootercade, and several hundred miles of rain riding on the trip. My centerstand is sticking (of course...). I will lube all that stuff tomorrow. I've tried 3-in-1 oil, WD40, even chain lube on the centerstand - nothing seems to last that long. They really should put grease fittings in the centerstand pivots.
Use SAE30 regular motor oil and you will solve the problem. How soon we forget that this oil has been the best lubrication over the years. 3 in 1 oil is useless unless on a small appliance such as electric razors etc. and WD40, although excelllent for some applications, has absolutely no lubricating qualities whatsoever.

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
This centre stand switch problem was talked about lost winter when mine did it. It's not much of a problem. Lay down beside the bike, pull the plunger out with pliers, lubricate with silicone spray and that's it. Riding on roads with salt and crud on them will cause it to stick. Don't know why Suzuki didn't put a nice rubber boot around the plunger.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: Locked in First Gear! By-pass

Hitting the kill switch on & off quickly while rideng bypasses the stuck centerstand switch & resumes normal shifting until you can get it lubed & unstuck which of course should be as soon as possible. This does not apply to a loose centerstand.
Use a penetrating oil (WD40), twist plunger with a pliars,If you can grip it,! And/or pry back on the plunger head with a narrow bladed screwdriver. Do it in that order or you may break a blade. The problem is on the inside of the switch. Yes it needs a boot. :idea:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
i use marine grade grease on everything. waterproof is the reason. it seems to be a little more money, but doesnt come off....larry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts