Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I so enjoy these that I am seriously considering buying one, I am staying closer to home now, no overnight riding, my body is slowing down. I had a scheduled ride this morning and did not go. Feeling old, beat up and tired. This bike would still allow me to get out for local fun, in style.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The last 'Meet-Up' group ride I did was 6 Harley's, 1 Metric Harley wantabe, 1 FJR1300. The ages were from 25 to 40 years except the FJR and me, both in our 60's.

We did mostly mountain back roads and the Harleys were blasting loud pipes around the corners.
At the first stop the FJR rider and I decided to ask to take over the lead to get out front of the noise but the 7 Knuckel Draggers did not want that. FJR rider had a good GPS with our trip's way points logged in but the LEAD on a Harley did not want us up front.

I have not been invited back since. I am still so sad about that. ;)
I used to participate in a local annual charity fundraiser called "Run With The Nuns". Same scenario. The knuckle-draggers had to be at the head of the line...subjecting everyone behind them to the noise of their unmuffled exhaust pipes. Hmmm...I wonder what my life expectancy would be if I passed them on a scooter :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
58 Posts
It was enjoyable, this club has everything on two wheels regarding scooters, actually more like a 50cc with pipes club.
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the concept of a 50cc scooter with open pipes :ROFLMAO: Somehow a chainsaw comes to mind.....

Reactions: BurgDanno

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,164 Posts
Portage WI doesn't have anything. I haven't seen another 650 Burg anywhere in WI in 5 years.
I lived in Franklin, WI for 13 years and had one, my son in Waukesha had a 400 till the wifey pulled rank and made him get rid of it.

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,164 Posts
I stopped doing charity rides when some apes told me not to show up again 'with a toy' when I had my 400. I would have responded but valued my health too much.

·
Registered
2008 AN400
277 Posts
I kept to myself in the rear snorting all the oil/gas fumes. Many different types of folks that I generally don't mingle well with. I did good and kept an open mind and only said good things. They really enjoy the same things in life we do, and they were friendly accommodating accepting my old self. I hung with a Morphous rider, we had more in common and he was only 12 years my junior, most of the others about 20 years.
:ROFLMAO: I love the restraint... I can imagine myself in the same situation, just telling myself "just keep your mouth shut, smile, and then sayonara..."

I think that as we accumulate all that wisdom of age, it's inversely proportionate to tolerance of BS and plain idiocy.

Disclaimer: I used to be one of those 2-stroke 50cc riders LOOL in fact, almost killed myself on one.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The last 'Meet-Up' group ride I did was 6 Harley's, 1 Metric Harley wantabe, 1 FJR1300. The ages were from 25 to 40 years except the FJR and me, both in our 60's.

We did mostly mountain back roads and the Harleys were blasting loud pipes around the corners.
At the first stop the FJR rider and I decided to ask to take over the lead to get out front of the noise but the 7 Knuckel Draggers did not want that. FJR rider had a good GPS with our trip's way points logged in but the LEAD on a Harley did not want us up front.

None of the other riders had Intercoms so the FJR rider and I could chat to ourselfs and at the last 10 miles we blasted past the others and just rode our own ride. The Harley riders tried to keep up but could not corner as fast. I can not keep up with a FJR1300 except in cornering if the FJR rider is not on race mode.

I have not been invited back since. I am still so sad about that. ;)
How different. I found a large group of riders which were mostly full dress Harley Davidson riders and joined them for a "curve heaven" ride on my 250cc Chinese scooter. After the ride I got nothing but surprised comments that I kept up (barely, but kept up) on the 70 MPH sections.

One guy tried to lose me in the curve heaven part. After the first section I asked him if I was crowding too close to him in the curves and I can back off. He choked and his reply is priceless. He told one and all he would walk away from me after we were out of a curve but I was always right behind him going into the next curve.
I was welcomed by that crowd. I joined them for the longer, faster rides after I upsized to the TMAX.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts