Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received an invite from a local scooter club for a ride Saturday. This is a very local meet .5 mi from my door. A local car show, beach ride (35mph) straight road and a meal somewhere.
First thoughts, bunch of small-bore bikes with kids in shorts and flip-flops, not for me.

Then, I thought I'm being a dick like the Harley guys, judging folks I don't know and the Goldwing guys and the Concours guys and the BMW guys, heck every group I've been in turned out to be Motorcycle Racists. Seriously...I've known guys that won't ride with you if you don't have a "like machine".

It sure was nice for them to reach out to me, they are well organized with meet times, directions, kick stand up time, ride destinations and eats with links. Better organized than any motorcycle rides/clubs I've been in. I need to open my mind and not be a dick. (May be a challenge) who knows, I may have fun, get out and meet some new folks, maybe someone will be on some sort of Maxi-Scooter, and I'll find a new riding buddy. Looking forward to this, I'll follow up after this meet/ride.

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
398 Posts
Yah, I'd go too.

You'll be idling at 35 but oh well.

Meet some new folks.

I kinda wish I had a little 49cc Scoot....what else gets 120mpg ?

I'm finding plenty open minded folks.

I met a new guy at Pickleball this week. He has several Harley Tattoos, longtime biker.

He was studying the Burgman and highly impressed !

We had a nice cordial chat about Maxi-Scoot benefits.

He's recovering from a bad fall down a flight of stairs (OUCH !)

I think the accessibility factor has him interested.

Glad to let him ride if ever he desires to try !

The lesson to me is, never be afraid to reach out to others, different tribes or not.

Semburg, are you in Florida ?

Good on you.

David

·
Registered
28 Posts
Portage WI doesn't have anything. I haven't seen another 650 Burg anywhere in WI in 5 years.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
You might even end up buying a small displacement scooter! I love my Honda PCX150.

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,774 Posts
Portage WI doesn't have anything. I haven't seen another 650 Burg anywhere in WI in 5 years.
I may not live in Wisconsin but I just returned from a ST-Owners group event in Spring Green. We had a ride to lunch in Arena and another to Baraboo on Friday. I usually ride solo but sometimes with a small group if they want to tag along with me. I meet up with the bigger group riders at the lunch spot of the day and then again back at the campsite to listen to all the stories and fibs told around the campfire. We have one even in early June and another one the first weekend after Labor Day. Should keep in touch and meet up.

So far I'm the only Super Scooter in the group but I have no problem keeping up with any other rider in the group. They may be able to push those BMW and ST1300 bikes to higher max speeds on the straight roads but I'm usually right there with them since no one rides much over 70 at any time so well within my reach.

And just to highlight what @SemBurg was getting at... Those guys in the ST-Owners group were just a little questioning at the very first when I showed up with my Burgman 650 but quickly accepted me since I was not the one who slowed anyone down in a group ride. I've even led a ride or two with others following at pace good enough to keep them all interested. Even have one or two ST1300 riders interested in test riding my AK 550.

·
Premium Member
19,107 Posts
burgies so not do well off road, like beach sand , gravel, wet leaves/grass wet clay etc, the heavy weeight, small tires and powerful engines/ drives can make the back tire want to lead instead of follow, use caution as usual. Get some experience in beach riding before going out with a group where your choices are dictated by others a little more than when riding by yourself . would be my suggestion

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may not live in Wisconsin but I just returned from a ST-Owners group event in Spring Green. We had a ride to lunch in Arena and another to Baraboo on Friday. I usually ride solo but sometimes with a small group if they want to tag along with me. I meet up with the bigger group riders at the lunch spot of the day and then again back at the campsite to listen to all the stories and fibs told around the campfire. We have one even in early June and another one the first weekend after Labor Day. Should keep in touch and meet up.

So far I'm the only Super Scooter in the group but I have no problem keeping up with any other rider in the group. They may be able to push those BMW and ST1300 bikes to higher max speeds on the straight roads but I'm usually right there with them since no one rides much over 70 at any time so well within my reach.

And just to highlight what @SemBurg was getting at... Those guys in the ST-Owners group were just a little questioning at the very first when I showed up with my Burgman 650 but quickly accepted me since I was not the one who slowed anyone down in a group ride. I've even led a ride or two with others following at pace good enough to keep them all interested. Even have one or two ST1300 riders interested in test riding my AK 550.
I was a member of the ST-Owners Group, or should say am a member, just inactive.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I received an invite from a local scooter club for a ride Saturday. This is a very local meet .5 mi from my door. A local car show, beach ride (35mph) straight road and a meal somewhere.
I do wish there were something like that here. But, alas, in the 2 months I've owned my Burg I've not seen another scooter of any make, model, or bore in the Shreveport/Bossier metroplex. Northwest Louisiana seems completely devoid of scooters. There are plenty of other types of motorcycles. Just no scooters. It sounds like fun to me SemBurg. I'd wade into the water. Give it a try. I would...

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
I was a member of the ST-Owners Group, or should say am a member, just inactive.
No need to be a stranger over there. Even maybe attending a RTE. I haven't owned my ST1100 since 2014.

·
Registered
28 Posts

See any other burgmans while you were in Wisconsin

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
See any other burgmans while you were in Wisconsin
Didn't see any Burgman scooters while there. I did see one or two while riding there or home from there. I usually do see at least one while on a long trip of 285 miles like this was one way... other than mine. But those are usually seen close to the towns and not so much out in the country between.

Reactions: JOHNY 650

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was a total deluge washout last weekend. Same heavy rains pounding last night for hours, woke up to dry roads and cooler temps. 78° when I left, I rode with them today for a beach cruise which I try to avoid due to tourists, congestion and traffic. It was enjoyable, this club has everything on two wheels regarding scooters, actually more like a 50cc with pipes club. Those little suckers are loud, high pitched annoying with pipes, I kept to myself in the rear snorting all the oil/gas fumes. Many different types of folks that I generally don't mingle well with. I did good and kept an open mind and only said good things. They really enjoy the same things in life we do, and they were friendly accommodating accepting my old self. I hung with a Morphous rider, we had more in common and he was only 12 years my junior, most of the others about 20 years.
Automotive parking light Plant Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel

Giraffe Plant Jaw Reptile Organism

Head Plant Wheel Tire Window

I will be migrating back to riding alone, it's just plain easier. People were late, not ready to roll at kick stands up posted time, showing up needing gas, lighting up cigarettes and other smokables at every stop, loud noisy bikes not safe riders or skilled riders, unsafe equipment, many no gear. Just not my cup of tea and I'm not going to be preachy or judgmental, just won't do it again. Search is on for another Burger Buddy. I prefer riding with skilled spirited riders who push it SAFELY and with respect for others.

·
Administrator
23,668 Posts
The last 'Meet-Up' group ride I did was 6 Harley's, 1 Metric Harley wantabe, 1 FJR1300. The ages were from 25 to 40 years except the FJR and me, both in our 60's.

We did mostly mountain back roads and the Harleys were blasting loud pipes around the corners.
At the first stop the FJR rider and I decided to ask to take over the lead to get out front of the noise but the 7 Knuckel Draggers did not want that. FJR rider had a good GPS with our trip's way points logged in but the LEAD on a Harley did not want us up front.

None of the other riders had Intercoms so the FJR rider and I could chat to ourselfs and at the last 10 miles we blasted past the others and just rode our own ride. The Harley riders tried to keep up but could not corner as fast. I can not keep up with a FJR1300 except in cornering if the FJR rider is not on race mode.

I have not been invited back since. I am still so sad about that. ;)

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like the Cadillac logos on that Morphous... 😆
Yeah, I got a kick out of that. It's amazing how viewed from the rear the shape and lighting resembles the Cadillac. I was impressed with the ergonomics, very long & low seat, looks like it would be a good option of shorter legs. Looks like longer legs have more stretch room as well. I don't know much about them, but I like the looks for a local cruiser. I don't think it can hold a candle to my 650 in the Maxi Scooter do all department. I'd like to have a white one parked next to mine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts