Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was riding on the interstate the other day I had an idea (amazing I know). Is there something out there that can replace the horn sound with a very loud Harley sound? The Burg's are so quite, people don't know we are around. If I could push a button to let them know I am there (other than the horn, which makes them mad) I think it would help out a lot. :idea:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Mary asked for the 'sound', not the expense and problems of a HD. :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Funny timing... Yesterday I installed one of Jac Vinson's turn signal beeper kits on my 650. It has a very loud beeper that was originally selected because it was mounted down below the fairing. But he sent me a new easier install procedure to try out. With this procedure it mounts right under the handlebar cover.

In the new location it is LOUD! It is almost embarrassing to leave the signals on when stopped in traffic at a light waiting to turn. But I saw driver's looking around. It sound's like a huge truck is getting ready to back over them... (A lot of trucks have the backup beeper - sounds the same.) Even when moving at surburban cruising speeds, I think it is loud enough for driver's to hear when I turn on my signal for a lane change.

From a safety standpoint, it is not a bad thing. But I think I'm going to try to muffle it a little - I'm too shy to be making all that racket. :oops:

Jac is experimenting with other beepers that put out less sound for the new mount location. But in a way, the current beeper mounted high (under the handlebar cover) does what Mary is looking for - makes loud noise without sounding like a horn. Even going straight, just hit the hazard flasher switch, and you're making a racket...

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Paul

I think she wanted something a wee bit different to a beep beep!

More along the lines of 'rolling thunder'.

:wink:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
billmeek said:
I want something like this on my Burgman :

Compact Extra Loud 139 dB Motorcycle Air Horn
Again, my spelling is a bit off. But, at least everyone got the point. The air horn would do the job alright, plus blow them off the road. I'm still looking for a sound that would get you a ticket in a town with a noise ordinance.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
MaryVande said:
I'm still looking for a sound that would get you a ticket in a town with a noise ordinance.
That horn is at least 40db over most noise ordinances in citys that have them. Most noise ordinances range between 85-95db. I like the fact that is makes a noise like a semi. Should scare'em out of their wits if you are right next to'em.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
billmeek said:

Bill

When you figure how and where to fit on the 400 we could make it a forum mod (more noticeable than a logo - perhaps).

No offence was intended to logos during the making of this comment.

·
Registered
822 Posts
billmeek said:

Excellent!! I could've used that today when a guy was backing out of a parking space while I was coming... he just didn't hear my stock horn!

One question... just where on the 650 would this thing mount??

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
chuck807 said:
Not sure yet. Once I get back on the road I plan on getting it (or something simular) to allow my 400 to make a bit of noise. :twisted:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
chuck807 said:
Alas - that is always the question with aftermarket horns... I'd see if it will fit where the stock horn already is - but sometimes they don't.

A couple of tips.

1. Position it where it won't inhale water when it rains. Otherwise, you might be surprised to hear a gurgle instead of a blast the next time you push the horn button! I had that problem with a set of Fiam horns once. I got tired of taking them off to empty water out of them....

2. Sometimes to realize the full performance of an aftermarket horn, you have to upgrade the horn relay as well. For some horns, the stock relay does not send enough juice to maximize sound output from the more powerful horn. If that is the case, you can pick up a new horn relay at an auto parts store.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I upgraded my horn to a 'highway blaster' single note 120db. Bought it at Canadian Tire for $20.00 It scares the you-know-what out of people when I blow it. They look around for the car and all they see is this scooter coming at them.

I tried installing it where the existing horn was but after an hour or so I gave up and put it in a new place. Take a look straight up from where your existing horn is mounted and you will see two bolts that look like they are holding the plastic cowling under your steering assembly. I used one of these to mount the horn. You will have to make an extended wiring harness cause the old one won't reach. You can even leave the original horn mounted where it is and just pull of the wires to use on the new one. Added advantage is that it is extremley weather protected up there.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Arby, CDN Tire part number?

Thanks!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was bit wrong on the horn it is called the Freeway Blaster Horn and the price is $26.95. The part numbers are
20-2038-2 High note
20-2039-0 Low Note

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
MaryVande said:
The Burg's are so quiet, people don't know we are around. If I could push a button to let them know I am there (other than the horn, which makes them mad) I think it would help out a lot. :idea:
Well, I removed the silencer from my Remus exhaust today just for fun. I can assure you that cars should be able to hear me alongside. Not exactly a "Harley Sound" but somewhere in the decible range. It's not too bad when cruising at a steady speed, but twist the throttle even a little and she bellows. Only problem is a lot of noise on takeoff (since you, of course, must twist the throttle to take off... :roll: ). I, umm, had to take off right next to a patrol car this morning - It was probably the slowest I've accelerated from a stop in quite a while. :?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Paul? Backing down from a 'race'? What is this world coming too? :lol:

·
Registered
367 Posts
So Paul, any gas milegae/economy numbers?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Sails said:
So Paul, any gas milegae/economy numbers?
With the silencer in I've been averaging 47-51 mpg in normal riding. Loaded for touring, and burning up the miles at 80 mph plus, I've dropped to 40 mpg or less. But that seems to be pretty much in line with what other folks are getting. I do have a (smallish) Clearview windscreen and a Givi E52 trunk - best mileage would be with the stock screen and no trunk, based on prior experimentation. Basically, the Remus pipe hasn't seemed to have much impact on mileage, but different size windscreens do always have some effect. I've been running with the Remus for about 8000 miles now.

I'm going to leave the silencer out for awhile and get mileage on several tanks. If running unsilenced makes any difference in mpg, I'll post the results. One caveat. I was playing with manual mode today - it sounds so cool with the unsilenced pipe. :twisted: So, my happy gear shifting for aural effect is probably not as efficient for mileage as auto mode. But hey, I gotta have some fun!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts