Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ridden a 400 for 4 years and love it but planned to move up to a new 650 in the Fall. But I just came across an '09 with 140 miles on it for $5500. Have not seen it in person, but it looks like new in the photos. So what to do. Is there enough advantage to getting a new (2014-5) for more bucks over the 09 and are there any problems showing up with the 09 generation?? He claims the price is FIRM.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wouldn't want it for that price. Maybe $4,500. How has it been put up...do you know. Everyone is different but you can buy a deeply discounted new '13 or '14 if you shop around.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds like a rare find to me. I would negotiate that price down at least $500 if possible. Most prices are set and expecting some price haggling. It's virtually one half the price of a new scoot.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
My $0.02. Relax and don't worry about the bike. There are plenty of overpriced bikes out there. I am sure you can come back next year and he will still be holding firm at $5,500.
My suggestion is to watch the ebay auctions. Add the 09's to your "Watch" list so you can see the ending price. Also, check out searchtempest.com and see what else is out there. Several of our members got 12' for under $7,000 out the door. There may still be some new 12 models out there.
I see you joined a few years back, but if you filled out your profile and gave your location, a local member might be able to steer you in a better direction.

BTW, 2 years ago I paid $4,800 for my 08. Now they can be had for under $4,000. The 09's should not be much more.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think I paid 5200 for my 2011, had about 8000 miles on it. Can't remember exactly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. As you say, there are deals out there. I can get a '14 for $8500 in Mesa where we winter. I believe the model was upgraded in '13 and I am wondering if there was enough improvement to justify a 'new' model, vs an 'almost new' '0? Do not know how it was stored and will be calling to get details today.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Assuming the '09 is in pristine condition: at this moment you can overpay for an 09 by by 'x' hundreds of dollars, but save 3-4 thousand over new bike. As someone who just sold his 07 and bought a 14, I can tell you there are performance differences, but nothing a rider can't adjust to. I love both models.

If a late model, very low mileage used bike was on the market at the time I wanted to buy, I would have seriously considered it. But in my heart of hearts, I really did want the new model and was willing to pay for it. My main priority was to get a bike I could ride and enjoy for 8-10 years.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The 2009 is still OLD, no matter how you look at it and has no warranty whatsoever. How would you like to immediately spend $300 plus on new tires and labor because they SHOULD probably be replaced. ALL of the fluids, even brake fluid should be replaced--oil, filter, gearbox, final drive and antifreeze also.

If you can afford it, buy a new one. They supposedly have some improvements but that is debatable.

I could have easily bought a new 13-14 or 15 but I didn't care for the ergonomics as compared to the earlier models. I ended up with a new 2012.

Sam:D

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
My 2 cents .

That is what I would call a PREMIUM bike , @ $5,500 a fair deal for buyer and seller .
I have seen better deals , but not by much for a 2009 Executive . If you want a near new bike and like the older models and the color of this one , I would say buy it . You would / could do better money wise on a 05 to 08 with 5 to 10K on the clock for around $3,500 give or take . As far as what I would do if I bought it , an oil change and that's it . Also keep in mind there are very few pristine Burgmans out there , most of the bikes guys say they paid 3K for them have damaged plastics . You would be paying a slight premium for this bike , but it is a PREMIUM BIKE !

The bottom line is do you want a premium bike , and are you willing to pay a slightly premium price .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
213 Posts
PO--is this a local bike? If so, take it out for a good test ride. I would be concerned about stale fuel and an old battery and tires. But if it tests out well, and it makes you smile, buy the thing. It's April and time to ride. Remember, you can always make more money, but you can't make more time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 09 is about 3 hours away so can't just run over and look at it. Sounds like there is not a lot of difference between the 09 and 14 no matter what Suzuki says. Personally I think I prefer the white color over the current gray shade. Lots of good comments here...thank you all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This bike is about 3 hours away so can't just run across town to see it. Sounds like there is not a lot of difference between the 09 and 14 no matter what Suzuki says. Lots of good comments here.....Thank you all......

·
Registered
213 Posts
I bought a new '09 in Feb. '14 from a local dealer. It was a new holdover from another bankrupt shop, with 175 miles. Full warranty, which I didn't use. 6,000 miles later, it runs perfectly. Is yours the Executive model? The adjustable windscreen is a very nice improvement, but not a deal killer. Does the owner say it starts, and that you can ride it? The tires on my '09 were stock, and looked fine, but didn't last three thousand

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have ridden a 400 for 4 years and love it but planned to move up to a new 650 in the Fall. But I just came across an '09 with 140 miles on it for $5500. Have not seen it in person, but it looks like new in the photos. So what to do. Is there enough advantage to getting a new (2014-5) for more bucks over the 09 and are there any problems showing up with the 09 generation?? He claims the price is FIRM.
Here in the UK, there were some problems with regulater/rectifier failures on '09 models.

Mine failed at quite low mileage, (under 1000 mls)

I'm not sure if there were any recalls for '09 models where you live, there maybe someone in your area on BUSA site with more info.

Best of luck :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I feel so lucky, I bought an 08 with 9000 miles last fall.Russel Day Long Seat, Clearview, Throttlemeister, Wired Gps, Givi48L. $4300.00 Canadian

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Talked to the owner today..... Yes, it is the executive model. Said he bought it new and rode it some, but has 5 bikes and just never got to this one much. Says it runs great, has STABIL in the tank, changed the oil and seemed quite knowledge about bikes and street rods also. He is 80 and has too many toys. Hope to get over to look at it his weekend.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Here in the UK, there were some problems with regulater/rectifier failures on '09 models.

Mine failed at quite low mileage, (under 1000 mls)

I'm not sure if there were any recalls for '09 models where you live, there maybe someone in your area on BUSA site with more info.

Best of luck :)
The 2009 Burgman 400s were recalled to replace a shoddy regulator. Some of the 650s got the same shoddy part, but there was no recall. Mine crapped out when I was 3000 miles from home. Most inconvenient. My Burgman is a white 650 Exec (Canadian model).

Regards
Scott Fraser
Calgary

·
Registered
66 Posts
There is a big difference between '09 and 13+. All the 13+ are Executive's because they dropped the 2 models. And you should have a lot less chance of a CVT failure on the newer ones.

You are an adult but don't "want" one so bad you overpay. I don't think the owner has a prayer of getting $5500 from a knowledgeable buyer. What you have here is an overpriced garage queen w/ no warranty. Might be ok, might not.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts