Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welp - I thought about sharing this lil tid-bit elsewhere but - I think that this is the only place to do it in.

It's a beautiful Saturday. My Son, 14, myself, and my Dad went out to the Shoal River Sporting Clays range today http://www.shoalriver.com/index.htm. It was the only chance my Dad had to hook up with his Grandson before Grandson went back to NJ to finish up the school year at his Mom's place. Pop hadn't visited with me in a while either.

We went loaded for bear. Had a GREAT time. We shot 2 rounds of skeet each and then ambled over to the rifle and pistol range for about another hour. My Son had never shot before (well BB guns..) and I was bit anxious and "motherly" about safety things - but - he took to it like a duck to water! He must have hit 9 out of the 24 skeet targets the first round and about 13 the next round! Now - that ain't bad! The boy has a knack! I stunk..only broke about 17 each round. We laughed a lot! :p - Dad kept forgetting to jack another round in when he was shooting doubles (i empathize - it's something you have to get used to....it's been a while for my fly-fisherman Dad!)

Pop brought his old Remington 870 Wingmaster pump 12 gauge, his Smith and Wesson .38 revolver, his Russian 9mm (Walther PPK knockouff (sp?), and his 22 cal semi-auto rifle (and two other long guns that I didn't even see - we didn't get to pull them out of their cases...). I took my Remington 1187 semi-auto 20 gauge and my Taurus .380 semi-auto pistol. After our two rounds of skeet (very windy day, the clay targets were bouncing all over the place - very erratic flight paths) we went to shoot the pistols and rifles. All of us were tuckered out after the 144 shotgun shells and the 200 or so rounds thru the 9mm, 380, and .38 - so we decided not to pull out the long guns. Plus - even with all of us wearing hearing protection - my ears were feeling a bit tender. A husband and wife there at the pistol range were shooting some sort of darn BAZOOKA pistol...a 50 cal maybe!? KABOOOM!!!! Man that's hard on bystanders ears! :twisted: So - we just gathered all back up, payed our range fees and drove back to Ft. Walton.

I'm not a gun nut, but there were a lot of worse ways to spend a nice Saturday afternoon between Gramps, Pop, and the Boy! :)

We had a wonderful time, my boy learned a lot about gun safety and handling (and SCOOTERING TOO!!!), and, now, :cry: I have to take my lil buddy to the airport tomorrow.

I'll miss him.

ps edit - looks like the shoal river web site crashed...sorry.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Sounds like a great day Pete. I used to trap shoot with a couple of Remingtons and reloaded all my own shells. I haven't been shooting for some time and I do miss it.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Pete,
Sounds like your smart enough to take advantage of anytime you do have -and really, that's all you can do. In the end it all comes down to memories and the more you have the better it is. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good memories. Dads and their progeny doing fun things that last long in the soul. Shared adventures don't really make future separation due to jobs or school or new family entirely painless, but the days apart are richer for today's investment. Thanks, Pete.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Gun Nut!!

Well, I am a gun nut, and I'm glad you had a great day at the range! Always seems there's some numnuts on the next firing point with the latest super magnum hand held howitzer, don't it? Same kinda folds with Harley 1200's and no mufflers. Such is life. Try electronic earmuffs-Natchez Shooters Supply has a good pair on sale for 29.00 a pair.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I just got back about an hour ago from the airport an the "little poot" is "wheels in the well" as I type.

Making memories - did me best. I'll see him again sometime in the not too distant future. I was a bit worried when they were swiping swabs through his luggage during the check-on baggage inspection! - heck - we just got through firing all that ammo! I am assuming that the swab-swiper thing is to detect explosive residue...dunno.

My oldest Son will be finishing up a college stint in Tennessee real soon and he'll be coming back home here to decide where he'll be going next to finish up his four year degree. (I hope it'll be a local college!!) Also my oldest, Monica will be driving down here from Jersey in about 8 weeks so - I'll be able to see her and do some catching up.

Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink :roll:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Pete,

Two things come to mind. Hearing protection is very important. Get a set of custom molded ear plugs. When it gets too loud you can put muffs on over that (Hi-power rifle for example). I wear mine on the airplane when I travel and it's much more relaxing.
The second thing that comes to mind is that my Browning over-under fits under the Bergie seat just fine! Ride the scooter to the range, twice the fun in a single day!

Thanx,
Russ

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts