Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do.

Talkin bout cars now - not pick up trucks! I like them too! (Pick up trucks.)

Here's a link http://www.copcarsonline.com/internet_specials.htm.

I think that for a person that wants a heavy-duty, cheap ta keep ride, these would be good all-around domestic haulers....that is if you can't afford a new hi-line SUV (Ick - sorry - I'll pass - even ona free Porche - really - I loath SUVs - no offence anyone.) or nifty late model european job!

Oh well - maybe a humble 67 bug would do... :)

Just bored.
me.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
And the best part is, people wonder if it IS a cop car and give you the right-of-way. :D They're old enough that no one would want to steal it, you don't car if it gets door dings at WalMart.....yet you could have one with a Corvette LT1 engine under the hood. They're run hard but well maintained and should have a lot of life left in them.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I bought a Police Crown Vic at a state car auction in Connecticut once. The car had about 100,000 miles on it (and probably many additional hours of idling). Good car though. My wife drove it for a number of years and my teenage son loved to borrow it. :p I don't recall having any major problems with it.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Some police cars may be well-maintained. I had a local officer warn me not to buy any from his dept. Those cars are never shut off except to get gas. The minutes one officer's shift ends another one jumps into his car. Three shifts a day, no rest for the car. Since then they've started issuing cars seized in drug crimes to officers. Get caught making meth in kansas, and they'll seize everything you own, and state or county employees will be driving it or wearing it or watching it or whatever.

Dave B.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Actually, not getting shut off is a good thing. It's cold starts that do the most damage to an engine. The exhaust should be good because the water will continue to be vaporized rather than condense and start to rust. The body's probably the worst part. Like a cab, the doors will get used a lot. Cuffed back-seat passengers might start kicking (well, we see that on COPS all the time at least), and there are holes left where all the computer/radio equipment was mounted.

My local BMW motorcycle dealer got a special deal on a bunch of California highway patrol bikes -- R1100RTP's with ~60k miles. Mechanically they were probably very good, but they were a little worse for wear cosmetically, with brackets and cutouts where lights and radios were mounted, and general wear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts