Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Trying to get a new trend going over here. Lightsiding I call it. It's simple yet unique. You simply fit a motorcycle tyre to a car! I can't believe I'm the first to try it (well, I will when I get another 3 tyres). I'm not interested in saving money, just spending it as well as getting some sticky rubber onto the road. I came up with the idea when I was wondering what to do with my recently replaced Bridgestone.

It was a real bugger to inflate and I had to use my 'Cheetah' bead sealing tool (pictured).

[attachment=0:1akgfyyb]Lightside.jpg[/attachment:1akgfyyb]

Whaddya think? Discuss! :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I reckon when it comes to baiting people, you are a master! :lol:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Great idea! :? In just three or so years you'll have enough for a complet set :lol: Although I suspect that if your government won't allow a CT on a bike they certainly won't allow MCs on a car. :dontknow:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
My Lupo 3L wore the inside shoulders of the front tyres (155/65-14) off in no time, so fitting the worn rear tires from a burgman 650 to the front of one of those would quickly restore a nice rounded profile, but you'd have to re-install the tyres opposite on the rims after a while to get both sides re-rounded.

The strange wear comes from an unusual steering geometry optimized for low rolling resistance.

·
Premium Member
8,152 Posts
great idea, with that "stickiness" any fiat or vw bug should be able to run in the grand prix with those big loud cars that need all that weight just to hold the tires down on the road :lol:

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I think it's a bad idea. Those tires are meant to lean. Since they don't have a flat tread surface, as soon as you go around a corner, the tire will cause the car to try to lean and thus go up on two wheels. If you not really careful you'll roll it over. :shock: :lol: :lol: :D

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I wouldn't listen to anyone who says it's a bad idea. They are just naysayers.

You are the only one with experience, so you are the sole authority. No one is allowed to speculate. In fact, I think you need a thread dedicated to lightsiding where you can share your opinions and experiences with yourself.

·
Administrator
18,385 Posts
[Sgt Shultz voice] I see nuthing, I seeeeee nuthing. [/Sgt Shultz voice]

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
On a second thought, the TH01's measly load index 56 vs. the car tire's 75 means the pressure would need to be 50 psi or more on the heavily loaded front axle.

@Dave_J: (and others) I've been looking for a picture of a recurring theme from the cartoon series Beetle Bailey by Mort Walker, where General Halftrack passes by the privates doing something strange/illegal and says to himself "I refuse to ask or something similar, I have only read the translated version.

[attachment=0:26ozrenp]Beetle Bailey 10-3-09.JPG[/attachment:26ozrenp]

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts
Should work perfect, same thing right?.. Take some videos of your car doing a 5 mph figure 8 in a parking lot to further solidify your claims.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
:lol: @ mike.

:D

·
Registered
486 Posts
Such a wonderful idea. Your car's cornering speed should double...it'll be just like a cycle. Just be sure to lean in your turns...

Be sure to use four times the air pressure stamped on the sidewall, to make up for poor fit on the rim and other problems.

I salute you!...so, SO clever...

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Steve D UK said:
Hi all

Trying to get a new trend going over here. Lightsiding I call it. It's simple yet unique. You simply fit a motorcycle tyre to a car! I can't believe I'm the first to try it (well, I will when I get another 3 tyres). I'm not interested in saving money, just spending it as well as getting some sticky rubber onto the road. I came up with the idea when I was wondering what to do with my recently replaced Bridgestone.

It was a real bugger to inflate and I had to use my 'Cheetah' bead sealing tool (pictured).

[attachment=0:2kslog1n]Lightside.jpg[/attachment:2kslog1n]

Whaddya think? Discuss! :p
Dude! That looks like a big FAT choppah' tire!!!!

I expect you could easily roll thru the twisties on TWO wheels now, just make sure you lift the tires off the SAME side of thecar off the road. You'll never hydroplane. Are you going to LightSide all 4 tyres? If you just do the BACK tires you might crash and burn. Or just put them on either the LEFT side or the Right side (see my comment above).....I think it's a BULLY idea!

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Why worry about the pressure? You can get the tire on the rim, just BLOW it up until, well, it BLOWS up and you'll be fine! Run that puppy for all it's worth, the load on the tire will be fine and it's traction profile will NOT present any issues, simply 'cause YOU can do it. My hats off to a real innovator!!!

ErikDK said:
On a second thought, the TH01's measly load index 56 vs. the car tire's 75 means the pressure would need to be 50 psi or more on the heavily loaded front axle.

@Dave_J: (and others) I've been looking for a picture of a recurring theme from the cartoon series Beetle Bailey by Mort Walker, where General Halftrack passes by the privates doing something strange/illegal and says to himself "I refuse to ask or something similar, I have only read the translated version.

[attachment=0:2j3v8in1]Beetle Bailey 10-3-09.JPG[/attachment:2j3v8in1]

·
Administrator
18,385 Posts
This joke has run for some time now, Now for the real skinny. All the darkside comment aside, a motorcycle rim and car rim look alike but do a diameter measurement. You will find that a Motorcycle tire JUST grips the Car rims bead area and may blow off on a small bump. After you do the measurements you will find that the motorcycle tire is about a 14.5" and the car rim is at 14 inch. Thats why a car tire fits tighter on a motorcycle rim, the CAR tires bead is 0.25 DEEPER in the motorcycle rim. Measure it.

If you want to joke and bash darksiders, fine. But when you make a post in joke without any disclaimer and someone thinks its cool and does it, just like all the Naysayers quote all the time, YOU open yourself up for litigation when they have an accident.

Do as you please yourself. And I will not read this post again so bash away, if it makes you feel good.

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
Heyyyyyy, this is a light side thread...

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dave_J said:
This joke has run for some time now......

If you want to joke and bash darksiders, fine. But when you make a post in joke without any disclaimer and someone thinks its cool and does it, just like all the Naysayers quote all the time, YOU open yourself up for litigation when they have an accident.

Do as you please yourself. And I will not read this post again so bash away, if it makes you feel good.
I'm not in the least bothered about any litigation against me because according to you, the world is going to end on December 21st 2012 anyway. :roll:

:idea: Can I sue you if we're still here on the 22nd?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I thought I would provide some perspective by moving this thread into this forum section.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts