Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about adding some LED strip lights to the front of my 09-400 (under the headlights) and I was wondering if folks had a preferred supplier?

It's been years since I added LEDs so I'd like to know who like whom.

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey Bruce...I purchased some LEDs from our local AutoZone store...pretty decent selection.

late,
Coz

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of the idea - just not quite sure yet.

I do need to find a better electrical connector - I would like to find some type of twist-barrel type because I need a way to easily (and reliably) disconnect the wires when needed.

·
Registered
36 Posts

I do need to find a better electrical connector - I would like to find some type of twist-barrel type because I need a way to easily (and reliably) disconnect the wires when needed.
I've been pretty happy with http://www.superbrightleds.com/

I ran weatherproof strips along the edges of the headlights. They also have many different types of connectors.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

These are what I use. They're not cheap but they only put a pin prick in the insulation without cutting any of the wire strands inside. With these you don't alter your stock wiring harness. http://www.posi-lock.com/

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I bought some from ledriders.com , Justin the owner is pretty decent guy and if you ask he would work with you. I just installed the lr10 and a skene dimmer , 1 hour to install put them on my fenders , would fit on the 400 same place, I think. I also remember Chris ( daboo) did a whole thread on his install and purchase

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I got most of mine from LEDGlow.com but now Our local Pep Boys carries a good supply and variety.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've ordered the lights - hopefully they should be here by next Friday.

My other problem has been how to wire in a quick disconnect so that when (not if, but when) I need to pull the front nosepiece again (the plastic that holds the headlights) I can easily and reliably disconnect the lights. The "quick disconnects" you can buy in the hardware store are a joke with this small wiring.

What I'm probably going to do, unless someone comes up with a better idea, is to wire nut the light wires to power and ground wires. I'd like to make something a bit nicer, but the only other thing I can think of is to add fuses that you twist open. This would allow me to not only physically disconnect the lines, but also to drop/break/loose the little glass fuses too.

Hmmm, the wire nuts are looking better all the time.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
If you use a posi-tap all takes to unhook the wire is unscrew the accessory end of the posi-tap about ½ turn and pull the wire out. It sure is easier than unplugging spade terminals or wire nuts. If you look at the included picture you can see the tap side (on the left) goes over the wire you are tapping in to. On the accessory side you just bare the end of the wire you are adding and stick it in the end of the posi-tap and tighten it.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Incidentally folks, what if the white coupler in front that is reserved for heated grips is already connected like on ZA models, what could be the second best choice to tap the switching lead to. :confused:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Molex looks interesting

The Molex looks good.

How does one "acquire" a male and female connector and what is involved in adding the wires to them?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Does anyone know the posi-tap connector size to tap into the option hot wire (heated grips) ?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Do you know the gage of the option hot wire ? If you find out the gage of the wire just look at the chart above. I find the blue one fits most of my needs.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Will try to find the gage somehow, thanks model.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts