Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how to lift the front of the 650 to check the steering for play? I can't find anyplace underneath to support it without cracking the fairing. There is one flat area under the engine but it is quite far to the rear and would have to support a lot of the weight and I don't think the aluminum engine housing would be strong enough to hold the weight. That area is just behind the engine oil drain plug and it doesn't look safe. My old Honda was easy, just lift it with one hand and slide a block of wood under the front with my foot. Not so with the 650 Burgman. I realize there isn't much weight on the front wheel when the bike is on the Center stand, but it is still enough to break the fairing underneath. Hope somebody can help. Rusty

·
Registered
250 Posts
You could get someone to sit on the pillion seat and/or lean down on the luggage rack to raise the front wheel off the ground, I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
18,096 Posts
I use 3 bricks and a pc. of 1/4" thick plywood, under the engine. This raises the front wheel about 1/2" off the floor. Works pretty well for me, I only have to do that about 3 times a year. I think allwalk has a picture, simular, in his photo gallery.

Here is a link to allwalk's gallery
http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/album28

·
Registered
239 Posts
Rusty, I have lifted the front end at the place you mentioned many times.
Check the gallery under "removing front wheel", page 17, I think. I hate doing it, not from the strength of the engine point of view, but the bike doesn't seem all that stable balanced like that! Nonetheless, I've done it before and no doubt I'll be doing it again.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
128 Posts
Lifting the 650

So get down on the ground and look behind the radiator and you will see a frame cross member. Put a jack under that and jack it up ( I use a small Hydraulic bottle jack ) This way you don't put preasure on the aluminum case. this also has a better leaverage point to transfer the weight to the rear and balance on the center stand.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for that one, Macgyver, I hadn't noticed that place before. Much better to use, as it's closer to the front. Strange that in the manual, Suzuki makes no mention of where to support the bike.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for all the advice. Sure is a great net we have here and great members who are always ready to help each other solve a problem.Thanks, Rusty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts