Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You can lift a side ~2 in., put 2x blocks side to side under the C.S. One block at a time.
Can lift front by hand, to put block under front wheel.
Easier to work on it now 馃槑

Attachments

Reactions: JC'sWheels

Registered
Nice idea for helping save the back, short of a lift. While jostling it around like that, I would add one safety item...a strap from the center stand to the front wheel. I had the Helix come off the center stand once (while the rear wheel was off) and it came down on my foot...not pleasant.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Registered
2008 Burgman 400
I have one of those small harbor freight cranes that would do this easily! And away we go!

Registered
How do you lift a scooter with a crane?

Premium Member
Reactions: mikeyMarine

Registered
2008 Burgman 400
If you have no experience with cranes or lifts of any kind, you should NOT ATTEMPT even trying it. Failing to properly plan & perform any aspect of lifting with a crane could seriously injure you and damage the object your lifting. An awful lot of engineering goes into lifting objects.
I have worked with overhead cranes all my life and have a deep & profound respect for their ability to lift heavy objects.

Registered
If you have no experience with cranes or lifts of any kind, you should NOT ATTEMPT even trying it. Failing to properly plan & perform any aspect of lifting with a crane could seriously injure you and damage the object your lifting. An awful lot of engineering goes into lifting objects.
I have worked with overhead cranes all my life and have a deep & profound respect for their ability to lift heavy objects.
So how do you do it with the plastic enclosed Burgman? You have some photos to share?

You said your harbor freight crane would lift the Burgman 鈥渆asily 鈥 to work on. That, I鈥檇 like to see. The only 鈥渆asy鈥 lift points I鈥檓 aware of with a Burgman, are the bottom of the tires, supported by a kickstand

Registered
2008 Burgman 400
So how do you do it with the plastic enclosed Burgman? You have some photos to share?

You said your harbor freight crane would lift the Burgman 鈥渆asily 鈥 to work on. That, I鈥檇 like to see. The only 鈥渆asy鈥 lift points I鈥檓 aware of with a Burgman, are the bottom of the tires, supported by a kickstand
I ran a nylon strap through the wheel. I will take picks tomorrow for you.

Registered
I have one of those small harbor freight cranes that would do this easily! And away we go!
I ran a nylon strap through the wheel. I will take picks tomorrow for you.
Your earlier post said you 鈥榗ould鈥. Now it seems you already did it. Only lifted one end? Which wheel?
How did you ensure it couldn鈥檛 flop over, or no scratches from the strap (s)?
I鈥檓 curious

Registered
This is the key....and "no experience" probably applies to 99.99% of the general population.

Reactions: Dave_J

Registered
2008 Burgman 400
Your earlier post said you 鈥榗ould鈥. Now it seems you already did it. Only lifted one end? Which wheel?
How did you ensure it couldn鈥檛 flop over, or no scratches from the strap (s)?
I鈥檓 curious
Your are correct, I lifted the rear while standing beside the bike to prevent it from going side to side. I simply put a strap thru the rear wheel and connected each end or the strap to crane hook. Once in air I I used my foot to slide a couple 2x4 under center stand and gently bumped controler to let it down on the wooden blocks.

Its not very difficult guys鈥 My crane motor runs on 2 trolleys and a 6鈥 long run and the run is bolted to an overhead beam in my garage. I lift all sorts of things with it, my mower, the tractor my trailer that I haul stone鈥. It鈥檚 a nice little tool to save your back. I have to work today, so I鈥檒l get ya a pic tomorrow.

Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

Machine Audio equipment Electrical wiring Engineering Event

Registered
I got it. Your original posts gave the impression you lifted the whole bike level, which would be a real feat. You also have a much more elaborate setup than what most people buy for a harbor freight crane, which I was envisioning
Mystery solved 馃憤馃徎

Premium Member
I still prefer the bench press method, one wheel in each hand and push!!! (that's how swmbo does it, sometimes her moustache gets caught in the side stand and I hata help her)

seriously I lifted the rear with straps and a come along when changing the belt on my 650 and putting straps on the grab rails worked fine, no tupperware crushing/ balance problems involved and plenty of room to work on removing everything

Registered
2008 Burgman 400
I got it. Your original posts gave the impression you lifted the whole bike level, which would be a real feat. You also have a much more elaborate setup than what most people buy for a harbor freight crane, which I was envisioning
Mystery solved 馃憤馃徎
Thank You !

Registered
I still prefer the bench press method, one wheel in each hand and push!!! (that's how swmbo does it, sometimes her moustache gets caught in the side stand and I hata help her)

seriously I lifted the rear with straps and a come along when changing the belt on my 650 and putting straps on the grab rails worked fine, no tupperware crushing/ balance problems involved and plenty of room to work on removing everything
Sounds like you need to trim her stache

1 - 17 of 17 Posts