Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lou @ Lift Supports Depot.Com they take care of you my stabilus lift o mat took a crapolla it isnt any fun without 1 but there prices beat anyones Thanks Lou

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I discovered that the trunk struts on my '03 Mustang GT were the same as that on the '03 Burg man 400, except for the end connectors. However they were easily removed and swapped onto the new gas tube. $20 at Auto zone...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
only paid 26.50 shipping included and it's extra heavy duty to allow for the extra weight with the back rest the cheap one that came with the 04 not strong enough it went out like 3 weeks after installing the back rest butt rest

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The unit for the Mustang is quite a bit stronger as well, the seat rises by itself when released and requires more effort to close. I have no idea how strong the stock unit was when new--only when it was 8+ years old...

·
Registered
50 Posts
(cliffyk) thanks alot for the tip that the 03 mustang GT trunk struts are the same as the burgman.. Im gonna go pick one up today and swap my ends onto it and give it a try! $20 and being able to run 5 min up the road to get it! cant beat that! thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got my lift support from lou today less than 3 days installed it it's much stronger than the stock i had :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went to autozone today and got the trunk lift strut for an 03 ford mustang gt for like $20 and just swapped on the ends from y origonal strut and it works awesome! better then the original! thanks alot for that tip about that strut!

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
13bturbofc said:
I went to autozone today and got the trunk lift strut for an 03 ford mustang gt for like $20 and just swapped on the ends from y origonal strut and it works awesome! better then the original! thanks alot for that tip about that strut!
Cool...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I should mention that on the mustang strut I got, Once you unscrew, remove and chuck the ball style ends that come installed on it, you will see the threaded ends of the mustang strut are slightly larger in diameter so you will need the take the original ends from the factory burgman strut and drill them out slightly and then I used a tap on mine just by hand but the strut ends are pretty much self tapping, I just filled the end with red loc tite and screwed them back on and so far its working awesome and it only cost me $20 at autozone!

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
13bturbofc said:
I should mention that on the mustang strut I got, Once you unscrew, remove and chuck the ball style ends that come installed on it, you will see the threaded ends of the mustang strut are slightly larger in diameter so you will need the take the original ends from the factory burgman strut and drill them out slightly and then I used a tap on mine just by hand but the strut ends are pretty much self tapping, I just filled the end with red loc tite and screwed them back on and so far its working awesome and it only cost me $20 at autozone!

Yup, exactly what I did on mine this weekend when I replaced it. The Autozone part number for the strut I got is a D95532, which is what came up for the 03 Mustang GT trunk.
This is a much more powerful strut than the original, and it takes a bit of effort to close the seat (though can still be done with one hand). The jury is still out on this one, I may stick with it, may not, but at under an hour-and-a-half from deciding to do it, to purchasing the unit, and fitting it, it was a quick and cheap fix.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice! In my opinion the stronger strut is much nicer because its still easy to close but when you turn the key to pop the seat latch it actually goes right up by itself.. the original strut never had the power to lift the seat by itself and i think that's a pretty nice feature, and with the added strength of the mustang strut, I feel the people who have added weight on the seat will have very good results with this strut!

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Okay, an update on mine.......the stronger strut is coming out ASAP.

It seemed to be okay last week, and I took the 650 to work Wed/Thu, and when I went to get the 400 out on Friday, I noticed a difference........The support was so strong it was actually deforming the seat, and opening a visible gap on one side...........That's when I discovered I'd thrown the old one out .... :evil: :evil:

While at the parts store I had a quick look for an alternate, but I hadn't brought a tape measure with me, so not a lot of joy. I thought the Mustang one would do until I got a proper one.

Then when I came out to take the 400 to work yesterday morning, I found the trunk lock wouldn't release, and when I pulled my "emergency string", it broke...
....so I took the 650 instead.

When I got home, I was able to open the trunk by applying sever pressure to the back of the seat.

So now the emergency back-up is getting replaced, and that support is coming out.

More power can be a good thing in some situations, not in all. This didn't work for me.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
This is a "Mighty Lift".
Autozone Part # D95532 Which is what came up with a vehicle type search for a 2003 Mustang GT, for the trunk lid.

Physically, it fits just fine. Just way too high a force rating for the weight I've got resisting it (Standard 400 seat, no aftermarket backrests, etc.).
The specs show it with a force rating of 31.5-46.5 lbs.

Advance Auto Parts show the "Stong Arm" item as their part # D4643 , identical physical size, but unfortunately no mention of force rating in the specifications listed.

Same search criteria used on both sites.
I'm not saying that either of these wouldn't work on someone else's machine, only that the first one didn't work out for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
strange.. I guess in different parts of the usa the autozone stores sell different makes of struts.. the one i got about a month ago was a stabilus brand like my original.. the strut i got is working perfect for me with a stock seat.. it doesn't take much pressure at all to close it and can be easily shut with a finger..

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
13bturbofc said:
strange.. I guess in different parts of the usa the autozone stores sell different makes of struts.. the one i got about a month ago was a stabilus brand like my original.. the strut i got is working perfect for me with a stock seat.. it doesn't take much pressure at all to close it and can be easily shut with a finger..
It may depend on what warehouse theu\y are being supplied from....no idea for sure, but it's a possibility.

For now, I'm successfully using the Mightylift item as a seat prop, with it fastened at the top, tucked under the seat when down, and when I lft the seat, I prop it onto the trailing edge of the cutout for the front bolt inside the handrail (had to remove rubber cover.
This works, and gives me improved access as seat is held higher. But eventually I'll want a properly mounted and functioning item, and will sort things out.

·
Registered
302 Posts
My lift does something strange. Though the bike itself is now 7 years old (2006) it only has 2600 miles on it. I noticed today that unless I bring the seat all the way up to the top of its reach it will fall back down about 3/4 of the way. Is that normal or is it going bad?

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Mel46 said:
My lift does something strange. Though the bike itself is now 7 years old (2006) it only has 2600 miles on it. I noticed today that unless I bring the seat all the way up to the top of its reach it will fall back down about 3/4 of the way. Is that normal or is it going bad?
Lift cylinder is getting tired....replacement is easy.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Mel46 said:
That's the exact symptom that made me want to change mine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts