Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hi everyone.

I've been putting this new Lifeproof mount to work on my 650 for the last 3500 miles, and thought I should share the results.

It's $30, and I found it at Best Buy.
Some locations don't have it, some do.

Here's what the box looks like:

Here are the adhesive mounts, along with the ring to secure the mount with screws on a surface adhesive wouldn't work on.

Here's where I stuck the adhesive mount.
If I remember right, a couple alcohol wipes came with the mount.
I used one before sticking the mount on, and it has held very solid.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here's the mount stuck to the back of the LifeProof case on my iPhone 6.
It's a universal adhesive mount, so it could be used on any flat surface of any case or any phone, etc.

There are magnets in each half of the mount, so you just get them close to mating, and they easily pop together, and you can choose any 90 degree orientation!

To unmount the phone, just rotate it 90 degrees to the left.

The mount is gently sprung to keep it from turning to the left on its own, but to help keep it from turning, I just barely offset the mount toward the top of my phone. That way, the phone's weight keeps it upright when it's mounted vertically, and keeps it horizontal when I mount it with the phone's bottom mounted to the right. I hope that makes sense!

The directions stress that you press the small square mount on to the phone very, very firmly, and it seems the plastic handlebar shroud the base is attached to would break before the mount would come loose.

I'm very happy with the mount, and I hope this info is good for someone else!

Scott

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
....So....you have to stick something on your phone case that makes it no longer flat on the back, so it will wobble if you put it on a flat surface, like a table? Am I understanding this correctly?

Did you consider using a RAM X-mount instead? If so, why did you choose the Lifeproof solution over that one?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Alaska-

The mount on the back of the phone is pretty low-profile, but did occasionally prevent a smooth slide in to my pocket until I got used to it being there. It also requires a finger on it to stabilize the phone while texting or typing with the phone on a flat surface.

I can't say either required conscious thought after a week or so.

I headed to Best Buy for a mount, instead of ordering the Ram mount or anything else because I bought my Burg just a couple days before I rode it on my 5 hour weekly trip to work, and wanted an immediate solution.

Scott

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,683 Posts
I stick my phone on with VELCRO, works great. I bought large industrial strength velcro patches at home depot 2' X 4", you can cut to any size or shape you need. You can stick it on in any orientation you want. Holds very firmly. Phone lays nice and flat on any surface. Perfect! I can't remember exactly what I paid for it, but it was less than $5.
I can post pictures later, if anybody is interested, but it looks just like what you would imagine.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Alaska-

The mount on the back of the phone is pretty low-profile, but did occasionally prevent a smooth slide in to my pocket until I got used to it being there. It also requires a finger on it to stabilize the phone while texting or typing with the phone on a flat surface.

I can't say either required conscious thought after a week or so.

I headed to Best Buy for a mount, instead of ordering the Ram mount or anything else because I bought my Burg just a couple days before I rode it on my 5 hour weekly trip to work, and wanted an immediate solution.

Scott
Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I keep my phone in my pocket. I wear Dickie black jeans they have a pocket built in for cell phones. I can hear it ring since the Burgman is so quiet. I can always pull over to talk. Safty first when riding I don't like distractions when I'm riding. Summer on Cape Cod is nuts with all the visitors and the snow birds returning. You can't ride dumb or you will end up hirt. The only mods I plan for Gracie are some LED lighting to make her more visible. Well that's just me... Always Ride Safe... Scooter 68...till tomorrow

·
Registered
68 Posts
I turn mine off, as the last thing I want to do when riding is listen to phone calls or read texts or email. Put it as far away as possible and only turn it on after I finish riding or want to make a call.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Maybe I'm the odd man out, but I keep my phone in my pocket.
I turn mine off, as the last thing I want to do when riding is listen to phone calls or read texts or email.
Many people use their phone as their GPS. It works a lot better for this function when not located in a pocket.

Yes, you can get directions via bluetooth - but must people find that having a map to look enhances this function.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
I turn mine off, as the last thing I want to do when riding is listen to phone calls or read texts or email. Put it as far away as possible and only turn it on after I finish riding or want to make a call.
Ya, I gotta agree. I'm not a fan of mounting your emergency communications device on to the handlebars. It belongs in the trunk or pocket or someplace safe. What do you do when it goes skipping off into a ditch after a crash? I had a poorly mounted GPS pop off once and it was DOA from just the fall to the ground doing 40.

Maybe keep a spare burner phone just in case. Personally, I keep a cheap, dedicated GPS mounted and the phone in the trunk.

·
Registered
41 Posts
In the case of having the phone pops off, I would just create a leash to attach to the case to the bike as a back up.

I need the phone to function as a GPS on routes I do not know where I am going!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I stick my phone on with VELCRO, works great. I bought large industrial strength velcro patches at home depot 2' X 4", you can cut to any size or shape you need. You can stick it on in any orientation you want. Holds very firmly. Phone lays nice and flat on any surface. Perfect! I can't remember exactly what I paid for it, but it was less than $5.
I can post pictures later, if anybody is interested, but it looks just like what you would imagine.
For something less permanent, get a roll of the 3/4" double-sided Velcro cargo strap material. Take two loops and thread them through the gap between the front and rear halves of the handlebar cover (there's a tab in the middle, but two 3/4" gaps either side of it), then around the bottom of the rear cover half and back over the top.

At least on the pre-2011 models, the "flat" part of the cover facing the rider isn't quite flat, but you can use bits of the double-sided Velcro strap material as shims under the strap loops to get it close to flat. Better is to use the loops of Velcro to strap down a flat mounting plate (Lexan is probably best, but 1/8" plywood would work as well.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts