Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone aware of what the life expectancy is in total miles for the Burgman? Assuming by-the-book maintenance and care. Of course, maybe they haven't been around long enough to give us a definitive answer (?). Another question might be how many tens of thousands of miles should one put in before thinking about selling and getting a new one? :D Just some unnecessary thinking for a few years from now....

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Michael,

With the reliabilty of todays motorcycles, I'd say the 650 should easily be capable of 100k+ miles with regular maintenance. Replacing the Burgman with a new one? That'd be up to personal preference. I'm more likely to replace mine with a new model that has more features (ie ABS brakes) than to get to the point to replace it based on age or mileage.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I agree with both Bill and Reg. I have never worn out a Japanese motorcycle. Do the regular maintenance and it will last until you can't stand it anymore.

The ideal situation would be for me to ride this one until a significantly improved model comes out. Then wait another couple of years until I can pick up a used one of those. Prior to the Suzukis I now have, my last two motorcycle purchases were two year old used models. I picked them up at a good price - and gained about $1000 worth of accessories for free in each case. Both bikes were in fine shape and gave me no trouble whatsoever. I owned the last one for 6 years and 60,000 miles - it was still running perfect when I sold it. I talked to a guy several weeks ago who has 160,000 miles on his Goldwing, and he was debating whether to buy a new one or not. :shock:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I guess that there are a few of us that will want to move up to a model with more features in the next year or two. I am thinking that we may see some significant changes in the 2006 model year as the competition heats up between the super scooter manufactures. That raises the question of the trade-in or private sale value of our scooters in the future. Does anyone have any information as to how many Burgers have been sold in the USA and Canada thus far?

Cheers Al

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
A figure I recently read was 85,000 scooters sold in the USA in the past year. I don't know what percentage of that was Burgmans, but the strong upswing in overall scooter sales has got to be good for resale.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Mi SeaRider wrote
Is anyone aware of what the life expectancy is in total miles for the Burgman? Assuming by-the-book maintenance and care.
All good answers now lets change the question just a little

Is anyone aware of what the life expectancy is in total years for a human Assuming by-the-book maintenance and care

Point is both questions have to many variables to get anything but a guess. :(

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Randy said:
Is anyone aware of what the life expectancy is in total years for a human Assuming by-the-book maintenance and care
According to CDC data from 2001 ... 77.2 years. :lol:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
You mean I ain't got but 7 more years to enjoy my scoot?? :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
ted clement said:
You mean I ain't got but 7 more years to enjoy my scoot?? :shock: :shock:
Sounds about right ... since you'll probably have the Burgman worn out by then. :p

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Bill, somewhere along the line I want to try the SYM and Kymco 500's. Maybe even a T-Max. Would like to see someone make a twin cylinder in the 4-500 cc range...just for sound, if nothing else.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Ted,

I know what you mean. If I didn't already have the Burgman 400, I'd be taking a hard look at the Xciting 500 when it hits the streets.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
billmeek said:
I know what you mean. If I didn't already have the Burgman 400, I'd be taking a hard look at the Xciting 500 when it hits the streets.
On the other hand it don't cost nothing to look, I hope. :roll:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The problem with looking is I might want .... bad enough to trade. :D

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Bill, thats my problem too. Don't think I ever keep one much over 3 years, mainly because something newer comes along that I just have to try. Frankly, I'm sort of interested in the SW because its 2 cyl, and not much heavier than the 400. At my tender age I'm more the open road type and not into flinging around curves anymore. Will hold off till I can get a good long ride on one....or maybe the Kymco.

FWIW, the Jabiru dealer that I bought my motor from is moving from WI to Shelbyville, Tn....not too far from your area. Sells motors, airplane kits, etc.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Ted,

I mainly use my Burgman for plain old transportation. But whoever said getting from point A to point B shouldn't be a ton of fun? I've found I have to allow more time for travel these days. Getting geared up for riding is part of it. The other part is I often get 'side tracked' and end up on a road that's not in a direct line from point A to B but much closer to point C (someplace having no connection to A or B other than NOT being somewhere you want to be if trying to get between A and B quickly). Since the 400 is the first bike I've had in a long time ... not sure how long I'll hold on to it. I tend to keep cages well over the 100,000 mile mark.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I hate to be the harbinger of bad taste - but do any motorbikes actually 'wear -out'?

I guess most (the machines) meet their end sliding along the road or wrapping themselves around a stationary object.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Norman,

I considered my last bike "worn out" when it got to the point where it was cheaper to replace it with another used bike than it was to fix all the problems that were appearing. I ended up not replacing it for a long time. For the local riding I was doing then, a breakdown (although not fun) wasn't that big of a deal. Now, I'd rather spend a bit more since reliability has become even more important.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Life of a Burgman

I know of a guy with a Silverwing with 80,000 miles on it. He says all he does is routine maintance to it, so the Burgman should be as good or better.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Life of a Burgman

davidlw said:
I know of a guy with a Silverwing with 80,000 miles on it. He says all he does is routine maintance to it, so the Burgman should be as good or better.
Welcome to BurgmanUSA. That's a ton of miles on a machine that has only been on the market a couple of years. How did he manage to accumulate that much mileage?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts