Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you have? What do you like?

I recently tried 2 versions of the 3Brothers backrest and the returned them both. I just didn't feel like I had enough legroom. I have been riding without a backrest and think that is the way to go. I can't stand the holes though. I am thinking about just wrapping the stock bracket with seat vinyl.

What about the Isuzu Headrest versions? Do they give you as much legroom as you would have without a backrest?

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
NO BACKREST NEEDED except OEM for me --- I use a BackALine Belt.

Gives back support during a ride and when you lean back against the OEM back Rest (comfortable I am).

http://www.backaline.com/

Helps maybe that I work out which gives some torso muscle strength for sitting vs slouching.

·
Administrator
18,726 Posts
The factory butt stop unbolts from the steel bracket and you could try covering it with thin gel foam and vinyl. Others have found small ABS plugs from like Lowes that fit in the holes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I used the factory mounts, welded up some round steel tube at the correct angle, bolted on a square piece of wood with a nice, shaped piece of foam, and then covered it in Black Vinyl. 3 years on it's 100%, still adjustable, and super comfortable.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
cbolling-
I've got the one you have shown and find it is okay. The pad they supply to replace the repurposed buttrest is not very dense and, you'll notice the 650 buttrest has a horizontal bread in it that I will take out, either by shaving it down or adding more padding to the lower half. The proof will be in the pudding, as I will be leaving next week on a 4000 mile journey, beginning with a SS1000.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I found this in EBay. Anybody have one?
I bought that one and found it to be poor build. The bracket had sharp edges, sharp enough to draw blood. You take the butt bumper and use it for the backrest. The mounting holes did not line up. I could not install it on my bike with 4 bolts, but did try it with the three bolts that I could get lined up. It (to me) was not comfortable.

I returned it. I lost $25 (shipping) for that poorly built bracket.

So, no, I don't recommend it. However, others have used it and are fine with it.

I did build my own. I bought a sissy bar back pad, put in a couple hours in my garage and for a LOT less money, built a backrest that is a lot more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I found this in EBay. Anybody have one?

I have had this backrest bracket on my '05-400
since August of '05....a single slight 'forming'
adjustment was made after the initial installation..
been working well for me ever since. I bought a
belly-bag/waist-pouch at Walmart that fit the
back of the backrest area, cut off the belt, & used
large fender washers to mount it on the back
of the backrest bracket....didn't use the vinyl cover
that came with the bracket. Makes a handy place to
stash glasses, pocket camera or other items that size.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Oops, my bad. Apparently they make for both the 400 and 650. When I saw your pic, I thought it was the 650 one and didn't even look at what forum it was in. So obviously, disregard my comments on the 650 backrest. I too, made my own for my 400. Used some plate aluminum. It came out nice. Not where I can do a pic at the moment though.

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Had a Bearcat on my 400 & bought one for my 650 also. That's the best backrest for me. ;)

·
Registered
364 Posts
What do you have? What do you like?

I recently tried 2 versions of the 3Brothers backrest and the returned them both. I just didn't feel like I had enough legroom. I have been riding without a backrest and think that is the way to go. I can't stand the holes though. I am thinking about just wrapping the stock bracket with seat vinyl.

What about the Isuzu Headrest versions? Do they give you as much legroom as you would have without a backrest?
I looked on Burgmanusa and found this recent Link, it is not my link, but it may help out.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/12-general-discussion/42748-butt-stop-holes-how-i-fixed.html

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I was highly interested in this one, but my worries with all these rests are that they flex. I don't like that bouncy feeling. I want to lean into it with no give. Is this "bouncy"?
I don't sense 'bouncy'...if there is any flex,
it disappears when I 'settle-in' & lean against it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I don't sense 'bouncy'...if there is any flex,
it disappears when I 'settle-in' & lean against it.
Same here. It has some "give" if pushing back against it but, in normal use I don't get the sense of any movement.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts