Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! 8) I am Av8rgal aka lexx. I am originally from New York, but currently live in Atlanta Ga. I have been visiting this site for a while and finally committed to joining lastnight. I have enjoyed the gallery(Pauljo, if you are reading this , I like your avatar. very cute! :lol: ) I have also enjoyed the info and tips given here. I see that many of you say that it's best to take the MSF course(very sane and wise advice). However, I have taken the MSF course in the past,but it seemed too rushed and too fast paced like it was geared more toward those who have some riding experience( and I have always had trouble with shifting :oops: ). I've gotten lucky though! I have found a course that teaches you how to ride motorcycles or scooters . If you're learning to ride motorcycles ,then you use their bikes . If you are learning to ride scooters then you use your own. When I called the school up the lady that answered thought that I would be sputtering around town with one of those 125 cc or less deals. I told her no. I told her that I was interested in learning the larger displacement scooters because I am thinking about buying a Burgman. When I told her that, right away she complimented the Burgman calling it a good bike.
BTW , I went and sat on one Tuesday at a dealership. Niiiiiiiiiiccce!!!!!!! :D What can I say , I'm sold. Well anywho I'm outta here. Til next time a :newb: signing out.......... Peace!

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Hiya Lexx. Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums. Happy to have ya with us. What is the name of the training center that offers the scooter riding couse? We might have some other riders interested in taking scoot specific training. I do think taking the MSF course to get some experience with gears and clutch is a good idea ... which you have already done. Glad you exited 'lurk mode' and said, "hi". :D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome Lexx! :)

Which Burgie are you interested in? We have the 400 and are considering a second (650 or 400, haven't decided).

Cheers,
Bryna

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Lexx, welcome to the group. I see you fly and will soon be a scooterist. If you are ever up in N.C, drop by and you can fly my Xair and see what early flight was all about....and ride my 400 as well.

Had the pleasure of introducing a new guy to the 400 the other day and now he's a new owner of one. Downright infectious!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Lexx

WELCOME :hello2:

I am glad you wanted to join in with this active forum, I hope you find the information you need, to choose the bike of your choice - if you need any help just ask - someone will have an answer.

:)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Welcome Lexx!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for all the shout outs

Hey all! 8) Thanx for the warm welcome. Very friendly atmosphere here. :) I love 650 Burgmans and when the funds are right ,plan to own one. In the mean time I'll just have to be content with some lessons. Which brings me to the subject of the school. The name of the course nearest to me in the Georgia area is: Sunshines learn to ride. I don't want to connect this page to a URL because I'm not sure if the following web address is the correct one, but you can give it a try or give it a search on the web : sunshineslearntoride.com :?: :?: :?: (something like that I think ) But anyway, the school is located off of hwy 78 in stone mountain . You take Stone mtn. hwy (78 East) towards stone mountain. Go past the exit for the entance to stone mtn. park. Get off at exit 9 ( which at that point ,eventhough it's still marked as a hwy it starts taking on the appearance of a local street because of the traffic lights and all .) You are looking for West park Blvd. I think its a right on West Park ( I had to work my way over to the school,I got lost the first time Because I live 20 miles away on the other side of town) The school is on the same lot as a mini golf course you can see it from the road as you are coming off of 78 if you look to your right . you'll see a miniature mountain with some animals on top (giraffes and others, that'll be the golf course). Above all , the best advice I can give you, is if you're not sure, look up the site and give them a call . Their number is 770 413 1774 :) . They are only there during the times that they teach. Call first.
Also I want to say thanks for the invite to take a flight . That's my other love. I've been interested in it since I was young and have logged 50 hrs. total in Cessnas : 150 ,152, 172, and one lesson in a Beechcraft Sundowner. Sad to say :cry: that I haven't done it since moving to Georgia, because of 2 things lack of funds and time. Prayerfully, God's willing, I'll get back into it one day. Sometimes my job has me posted out near Peachtree-Dekalb airport and I drool watching the planes fly off into the wild blue yonder. Who knows may be one day I'll pull up to the airport on my brand new 650 Burgy !!!!!! :D That would be sooo cool if I could get them to let me take a pix with the Burgy parked next to the plane. :wink: Oh well, maybe one day. Later Y'all !

·
Registered
30,278 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hey those 50 hours of yours are near the bare minimum for
a VFR checkride.
Without a lot of money, you can still pick up a current FAR/AIM and
a written test study guide.
If you haven't already gotten a plotter and E6-B, you can also do that
now and make many mock cross-countrys at home with a sectional
and a mechanical pencil.

To make the most of your flight time, be sure to do cross-country flights
every time you fly so the time will count better as PIC.
Flight instructors that only take you up on round-robin practice area flights
aren't signing you off as they should after your supervised solo.
When you change flight schools and rental FBO's, they'll look at the
PIC time in type to judge if you might need more re-current flight training.
Don't forget night flight time required to fly a 'real' aircraft versus
recreational.

The AN650 will cost as much as an instrument rating plus the money to
fly the rating with.
Think hard about the $7000 bucks and 3+ years of payments for a Burgy
which could ground you for years afterward too.
If you're comparing Burgman ownership versus flight time consider the
$7000+ to buy a Burgy then the $7000 to get back into the air with.
The sooner you get rated with rates as low as todays before $6.00/Gal 100LL
in a few years, it won't hurt that much later.
Once you start training Do Not Stop until you earn a temporary certificate.
Getting back in can cost 100's of dollars to get you checked out again.

One more thing > Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Fellow Burgman owners and soon 2 b!

I just bought a 2003 0r is it an 04... which is my first ? i need help in resolving on a plate by the gas it says MFN 5/03 but my keys chain the dealership gave me says o4 and from the burgman websites pics it looks like the 04 model anyways i financed 6000.00 out the door which is another ? Did I get ripped? Please is it better to put premium gas or regular gas and what can i expect on my gas miliege. I bought it with just 1 mile on it so if u will share any of your breakin points that i should abide by i will greatly appriciate them. is there any recalls u know of and last but not least any sound systems we could hook up to them?
joony b a newbie

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Hello Fellow Burgman owners and soon 2 b!

Jonny said:
I just bought a 2003 0r is it an 04... which is my first ? i need help in resolving on a plate by the gas it says MFN 5/03 but my keys chain the dealership gave me says o4 and from the burgman websites pics it looks like the 04 model anyways i financed 6000.00 out the door which is another ? Did I get ripped? Please is it better to put premium gas or regular gas and what can i expect on my gas miliege. I bought it with just 1 mile on it so if u will share any of your breakin points that i should abide by i will greatly appriciate them. is there any recalls u know of and last but not least any sound systems we could hook up to them?
joony b a newbie
Welcome to BurgmanUSA.

From the price, I am assuming it is a 650? The '03 650 came in Blue, the '04 in Black. Both years had Silver. So if it is a 650, and either Blue or Black, you have your answer. Also look down by the kickstand. The '04 has a rainguard (a block of back plastic near where the foot of the kickstand is when it is folded back. The '03 did not have that.

Use regular gas. It does not need premium, and there is no benefit from running it. At some elevations mine runs slightly stronger on mid-grade gas, but where I live it makes no difference.

Don't worry too much about the rev limit they have in the manual (I think it is 4000 rpm.) Just don't give it full throttle for awhile. It is very important to vary your engine rpm frequently - steady cruising at a fixed rpm is to be avoided during break-in. Switch to power mode or manual mode occasionally if you have to in order to vary the rpm. There are some folks who adhere to the rev limit, but I've broken many bikes in this way and they've all turned out well.

There some '03s that needed clutch replacements. You can read about it here.
Recall Thread

There is a diesel noise at idle that you can request a fix for from your Suzuki dealer. It won't totally get rid of the sound, but in some cases makes it less loud. There is no danger of damage if you do not have this done according to Suzuki.

There were no official recalls issued for anything.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Johnny and WELCOME :wave:

Enjoy your time with the BurgerKing and here at the forum. Look forward to your experiences.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings both Lexx and Johnny :wave: and welcome to the forums.

Lexx I hope you get your machine soon and Johnny I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
greetings!

Hey all! Thanks for the flite info Ajwood. I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things. I've been talking to the instructors at peachtree dekalb and as soon as my job can decide on a set schedule, I'm at least going to try the groundschool to get my head back in the game if nothing else (that's about all I can do for right now). Now, as for my Burgy It's still a hunger of mine and a future goal , especially when I keep seeing these prices at the pump :shock: . I darn near walked away crying :cry: the other day. I mean even for the little Toyota tercel I own and the distance I have to travel to work , I wish sometimes that I had a more economical vehicle. What's more economical, fun and pretty than a Burgman. I've been keeping an eye on the site here and have been following what some have said regarding the gas mileage that Burgmans get .....Pretty impressive! I am eventually going to get one.However, it just might take a little while before that can happen. In the mean time, I'm going to continue visiting this site. I'm going to get as much info as I can, so that when that day finally arrives, I can make a well informed choice about the scooter I will buy. Later y'all ! 8)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Hello Fellow Burgman owners and soon 2 b!

Jonny said:
I just bought a 2003 0r is it an 04...on a plate by the gas it says MFN 5/03 but my keys chain the dealership gave me says o4 and from the burgman websites pics it looks like the 04 model....
Don't go by what the dealer wrote on the key chain. And in pictures there isn't much difference between them, either.

Look at the manufacturer's plate and the registration.

There is nothing wrong with buying a "new" '03 in 2004; that's what I did (also with 1 mile on the odometer), but if the dealer told you it was an '04 and it's not then you have grounds for a charge of fraud. Since you agreed to a certain price based on what was represented to you, then if that representation was false you should expect a "renegotiation" of the price; tell the dealer that you are prepared to call your state's Attorney General's office if you don't receive satisfaction.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts