Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) The windscreen is too short. The buffeting on the helmet is maddening. An adjustable screen would be ideal. It would be great if the '04 model would retro fit onto the '03

2) Have you tried to put air in the tires at a gas station??? I have. I almost blew a fit. I had to bend the rear valve stem to get the air in. Do that a couble of times and the stem will tear. Not a good thing to happen several hundred miles from home. The valve stem should be at a 45 degree angle and a little longer.

3) I wish you could toggle the clock so it would show the outside air temperature. I am a weather fanatic. I love knowing the temperature. I think it would also be helpful for layering.

4) The diesel sound.

5) Needs a 5 gallon tank instead of 4.

6) I wish it had more power. (Some people with GSXR 1000's and Hayabusa's say the same thing about their bikes)

Minor gripes. The Burg is a great ride. :D

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yipes Gripes

That 4 gallon gas tank... It'll make you look at the map a second time!

If you really want short range, get an Intruder 1400 (128mi. Total).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Number one on my list would be the windshield. It's far to short. I put Stelth edging on mine it helped a bit.

At idle the bike is far to loud. Sounds like a Mack truck.

But the gas tank is fine ..don't really want to go more than 200 mi between stops.

I also would like a radio for the burgy!!

But thats just me :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Suzuki AN650K3 Literature Errors

My first visit to the Suzuki dealer was January 2003 when I picked up a big piece of literature "Suzuki - Burgman 650." On the back it reveals -"Printed in Japan Burgman 650 Leafelet 99999-A0114-231 Date of Issue May, 02."
Suzuki Motor Corporation
300 Takatsuka, Hamamatsu, Japan

Three glaring errors - (1) shows a color of YV4: Metalic Surf Green, (2) Dry Weight: 238kg (394 lbs.), (3) Optional Parts - Chrome-plated Front Cover; Large Screen; Co-rider's backrest; and Rear Carrier.
----------------------
After delivery of my 650 I found another bit of literature when I had the 4,000 mile service. The front says - "Suzuki. New Generation Scooters 2003. Burgman." The back of the literature revealed - American Suzuki MOtor Corporation, 3251 East Imperial Highway, P. O. Box 1100, Brea, California, 92822-1100. Printed in U. S. A. 2-03 Part Number 99922-03312.

This has much less information and fewer errors.
-----------------------
The lessons learned here are ...
(1) Japanese printed Suzuki literature cannot be taken to accurately describe the product.
(2) American literature is reviewed by American engineers and attorneys (to preclude litigation). As expected and appropriate ... it is most suitable to this market.
(3) Just because you read something on a Suzuki web page or literature ... does not make it correct. You have to see for yourself.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Does anyone know what causes that diesel-like knocking sound that comes from under the 650 at idle? I've wondered about that myself....

Kenny

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kenny,
Check the General Discussion forum. There is a thread on this topic (I started it) :D

·
Registered
742 Posts
Short falls 650

If Suzuki corrected all the " short comings " with the Burgman's be it 250,400,650 it would be out priced and no one would purchase it.

But yes it would be good if the individual preferences of each rider be addressed as optional, this would be the better way to go, you purchase the options you like and not add to the starting $$ …

Just my thoughts

Rgds Greg …

·
Registered
14 Posts
Many have mentioned that the bike is loud at idle and that it 'diesels' when warming.
I have NO IDEA what y'all are talking about. My bike purrs like a kitten at idle, low speed and high speed. It is probably the most quiet bike I know.
I have no problem firing it up in the driveway at 5:00AM when I go to work in the summer time and all the neighbours' windows are open.

I'm missing something here....

·
Registered
728 Posts
gripes

first of all, I own an intruder 1400. I'm getting over 150 mpg right now.
I'm contiplating getting a bergie 650 next summer, mainly because of my hips and legs. I have arthritis and the cold on my legs and arms is bothering me alot lately. Don't get me wrong, I do love my truder. If I could afford it, I'd keep it AND get a bergie.
Now, in reading posts on here, I'd like to say, If you all want more power, bigger wheels...etc...etc...go get a bigger bike, for crying out load. People, be reasonable. This is a scooter, not a goldwing. If you want all the fluff and trinkets that are on a goldwing, then go buy a goldwing. If the scooters had on them what a goldwing does, then you'd be paying $20,000 for a bergman.Personally, IMHO, the burgie has a heck of alot more goodies then the silverwing does. This is partly why I'm looking at the bergie.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Re: gripes

wilder days said:
first of all, I own an intruder 1400. I'm getting over 150 mpg right now.
I'm contiplating getting a bergie 650 next summer, mainly because of my hips and legs. I have arthritis and the cold on my legs and arms is bothering me alot lately. Don't get me wrong, I do love my truder. If I could afford it, I'd keep it AND get a bergie.
Now, in reading posts on here, I'd like to say, If you all want more power, bigger wheels...etc...etc...go get a bigger bike, for crying out load. People, be reasonable. This is a scooter, not a goldwing. If you want all the fluff and trinkets that are on a goldwing, then go buy a goldwing. If the scooters had on them what a goldwing does, then you'd be paying $20,000 for a bergman.Personally, IMHO, the burgie has a heck of alot more goodies then the silverwing does. This is partly why I'm looking at the bergie.
Just sold my 1500LC. 4 gallons on that bike went a lot LESS than on this bike. Plus, it's an entirely DIFFERENT riding "experience". It all boils down to "WHAT DO YA WANT"? I got what I wanted for a "CHANGE" with my Burgman 650.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Two 650 Complaints

I have one major gripe about the position of the parking brake. It's on the wrong side. You mount and dismount a motorcycle from the left side. I don't put the parking brake on until I'[ve dismounted because it makes putting it on the centre stand harder. From the left side the parking brake handle is almost unreachable and worst it is out of sight so it is often forgotten. :roll:

My second complaint is the bike needs more suspension travel. I find that some expansion joints on the highway bottom out the suspension and make for a rather uncomfortable ride at normal highway speeds of 100 to 120 KPH.

·
Registered
14 Posts
burgman 400 50vs 650

As you all know, I had 3 major failures under warranty with my 650 and I fought and fought with Suzuki to take it back, without avail. Suzuki is not a cool manufacturer at all. The bike was in the shop for 3.5 months over the first year. A "Friday afternoon" bike.
At any rate, the dealer was cool and I traded in my 650 for a 400 for my wife. I enjoy riding the 400 much more than the 650. It has a lot less pep and speed, for sure, but the suspension is by far superior.
And here is where I reply to the previous post regarding travel of the suspension on the 650: I used to think the same thing, but now I think that the shock absorbers and springs of the 650 are improperly tuned to the weight of the bike.
I have gone over the same bumps on the highway, and at the same speed, with the 400 burgie and the ride has been dramatically superior.
Unfortunately, I think the 650 has several bugs that need fixing, but Suzuki has demonstrated a really "ignorant" attitude at, first, admitting the possibility that their bike needs work, and secondly, taking proper responsibility to make their customer happy.
I was but am no longer impressed with Suzuki and the 650 Burgman, but I am enthusiastic of the 400 for smaller people. Larger people such as myself may find it too small to ride, but excellent as a cute little city commuter.
Another thing is the gas tank: definitely too small on the 650, but just right on the 400: with the 13 litres you can go 300Km before refueling. And the fuel gauge is not digital like the 650 (which I found very annoying as it did not give a good idea of how much gas was left in the tank)
Anyways, I wish you all better luck with your Burgies. These have been my observations.
Take care.

Alberto from Canada

·
Registered
394 Posts
My two-cents...

The stock windscreen was too short for me, so I replaced it with a Givi. I would have had the same issue on the windscreen on every other maxiscooter out there, so I don't fault Suzuki for not catering for my specific taste here.

Put air in the tires is annoying, so I added 90 degree extensions and have no issues at all. When I have new tires put on, I will have them put in 90 degree valves, then balance the tires. Problem solved.

An air temperature gauge would be cool, but hardly a necessity for the scooter. My wife wears a $1 zipper pull with themometer in it. Works just fine.

The diesel sound. Yep, this is a design flaw that should be fixed permenantly. It doesn't bother me too much, but it also shouldn't be there.

A 5 gallon tank instead of the 4 would be nice, however, I get 50+ US miles per gallon and don't go more than 100 miles before taking a break. The 4 gallon is adequate for my needs.

More power is not something I need at all. The 650 has more power than I ever use, even two-up touring with top box and saddle bags.

All in all, I think it is a great machine as is.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Just saw this thread, so my reponses are a little out of date. Still...

jas340 said:
1) The windscreen is too short....It would be great if the '04 model would retro fit onto the '03
It will. Direct replacement. So will all the aftermarket windshields you can buy. No windshield is perfect for every rider, so the stock screen fits the typical Japanese rider well.

jas340 said:
2) Have you tried to put air in the tires at a gas station??? I have. I almost blew a fit. I had to bend the rear valve stem to get the air in. Do that a couble of times and the stem will tear. Not a good thing to happen several hundred miles from home. The valve stem should be at a 45 degree angle and a little longer.
Gee, I didn't have any trouble at several gas stations. Just come in nearly parallel to the wheel on the left side. If you come in at 90 degrees, yeah, some pump heads won't work well, but just have a little patience and be flexible in your methods.

jas340 said:
3) I wish you could toggle the clock so it would show the outside air temperature.
Yeah, that would be cool.

jas340 said:
4) The diesel sound.
Not a big deal.

jas340 said:
I can go 150 miles or more on 4 gallons. That's enough for me. My butt needs a break now and then.

jas340 said:
6) I wish it had more power. (Some people with GSXR 1000's and Hayabusa's say the same thing about their bikes.)
Any more power and I'd be spending all my time in traffic court instead of riding.

jas340 said:
It sure is! 8)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: Suzuki AN650K3 Literature Errors

Art Wood (SATYR) said:
My first visit to the Suzuki dealer was January 2003 when I picked up a big piece of literature "Suzuki - Burgman 650." On the back it reveals -"Printed in Japan Burgman 650 Leafelet 99999-A0114-231 Date of Issue May, 02."
Suzuki Motor Corporation
300 Takatsuka, Hamamatsu, Japan

Three glaring errors - (1) shows a color of YV4: Metalic Surf Green,
I think the 2002 model was available in green.

Art Wood (SATYR) said:
(2) Dry Weight: 238kg (394 lbs.),
238kg is not 394 pounds. 2.2 pounds per kilogram = 523.6 pounds.

Art Wood (SATYR) said:
(3) Optional Parts - Chrome-plated Front Cover; Large Screen; Co-rider's backrest; and Rear Carrier.
Those parts are available options in Japan, and some now in Canada and USA.

Art Wood (SATYR) said:
The lessons learned here are ...
(1) Japanese printed Suzuki literature cannot be taken to accurately describe the product.
(2) American literature is reviewed by American engineers and attorneys (to preclude litigation). As expected and appropriate ... it is most suitable to this market.
(3) Just because you read something on a Suzuki web page or literature ... does not make it correct. You have to see for yourself.
And lessons learned should also be: Check the date on literature, and make sure it is current for model year you are looking for, and the country you live in.

Some literature is "preview" material, and not a reflection of what you can get at your dealer. Dealer should tell you; Suzuki is not responsible for doing so, since they don't always know final use of the literature they provide to dealers.

But true, especially about the Web pages; in fact the current American Suzuki Web page says the 2004 models have shaft drive. 't ain't so.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The '05 Burg 650's clock DOES toggle over toair temp but until you've ridden for 10-15 minutes it reads grossly (10-15 degrees F) high. Even then it is still always 1-3 degrees higher than any other thermometer you see.

Bob
Mason, Oh

jas340 said:
1) The windscreen is too short. The buffeting on the helmet is maddening. An adjustable screen would be ideal. It would be great if the '04 model would retro fit onto the '03

3) I wish you could toggle the clock so it would show the outside air temperature. I am a weather fanatic. I love knowing the temperature. I think it would also be helpful for layering.

4) The diesel sound.

6) I wish it had more power. (Some people with GSXR 1000's and Hayabusa's say the same thing about their bikes)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
ulwbob said:
The '05 Burg 650's clock DOES toggle over to air temp but until you've ridden for 10-15 minutes it reads grossly (10-15 degrees F) high. Even then it is still always 1-3 degrees higher than any other thermometer you see.
I wonder where the temperature sensor is located.

BTW, if you'd waited until tomorrow to post it would have been one year to the day since the previous post. (I take it you were using the SEARCH function.) That happened last week or the week before.

Old posts never die; they just get stored away. (With apologies to Douglas McArthur.)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, I was using search. I find this forum very valuable insofar as supplying a wide assortment of information but VERY VERY cumbersome to use because of the many topics, inability to get just the recent postings (since I last read them), and I even find it difficult to know what to click on to reply here to your answer.

The ambient air temp (AAT) sensor is located on the right side under the wheel housing. It is slightly above and to the right of the upper right corner of the radiator. There is a picture on page 24 in the 2005 supplement to the service 2004.

Bob
Mason, Oh

Brian said:
ulwbob said:
The '05 Burg 650's clock DOES toggle over to air temp but until you've ridden for 10-15 minutes it reads grossly (10-15 degrees F) high. Even then it is still always 1-3 degrees higher than any other thermometer you see.

I wonder where the temperature sensor is located.

BTW, if you'd waited until tomorrow to post it would have been one year to the day since the previous post. (I take it you were using the SEARCH function.) That happened last week or the week before.

Old posts never die; they just get stored away. (With apologies to Douglas McArthur.)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts