Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my windscreen to see what cooling effect and gas mileage change I would get. Well the helmet IS a lot cooler, and gas mileage went up 3 mpg on a 52 mile one way trip today. So, that was good! When the bug impacted directly on my nipple af approx. 350 mph,,, it was not so good, It was a small one, no bigger than a full grown PELICAN, it was made of titanium and filled with molten lead. The shield will go back on when I can stop sobbing and see thru my tears.

BTW Daris, I went to the v.a. hospital , my appointment was for 10 am. I got there early (for an unassociated reason) they got me in at 8 am, did a 4 hour test in 3 hours and I was out by 11:15 and they paid me a little over $9.00 for travel expenses. It took about 2/3 of a tank at $6.00 a tank (roughly) for the round trip. (they only pay 1 way, so if they paid round trip it would have been between 19 &20 dollars,)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
When i did deliveries a while back i was at high speed on a garbage 125cc scooter and got stung by a bee. It hit and stung me on my neck in a millisecond . Like being stuck by a needle and at high speed. No windshield on it.
Im now riding a pos scoot with no screen. I hope i dont get hit by any bug. A windshield is a must winter or summer. Imho. I also dont like the whistling in my helmet or the wind in my face at full speed

·
Super Moderator
8,069 Posts
I was about 17 yrs old and had a Honda 305 scrambler. My idea of 'safety" was dingo boots, helmet and a t-shirt. Doing about 60 mph I hit a bee , (stinger 1st) on my arm inside the elbow. It felt like 16 penny syringe. I always wore a denim jacket after that.

·
Administrator
18,686 Posts
I was about 17 yrs old and had a Honda 305 scrambler. My idea of 'safety" was dingo boots, helmet and a t-shirt. Doing about 60 mph I hit a bee (stinger 1st) hit me on my arm inside the elbow. It felt like 16 penny syringe. I always wore a denim jacket after that.
1976, I was flying low on a 1967 Honda 305 SuperHawk at about 80 MPH in Death Valley CA. I too was wearing Acmy Dingo boots, Navy 'P' jacket, Levi 505's, a 3/4 helmet and goggles when a Japanese Beetle hit me in the forehead.
I had to stop, go back and pick my head up off the ground before someone ran over it.

Mein Gott, so ein kleiner Käfer? Ein sehr schmerzhafter Aufprall auch! Scheisse! That sucker hurt...

I miss Dingo Boots!!!!

Dingo's.jpg

·
Registered
451 Posts
I've been hit by a bird in the chest, it didn't hurt as he was busy changing directions at that time and his momentum wasn't in my direction. He just glanced off my chest (jacket) and went on with his day. I've been stung a bunch of times. The worst is being hit directly on the Adam's Apple by anything. All these were on sport bikes, generally while on the interstate so 70 - 80 mph. Nothing worse than getting hit by something dense in the Adam's Apple.

But one time, while wearing a jacket, I felt some mild stinging pain on my shoulder while on the interstate. Ignored it. Then after a little while I start getting a burning stinging pain in my butt-crack, right on the tip of my coccyx bone. It was intense and wouldn't stop and just kept getting worse. There I was riding a sport bike, hand on ass down my pants and writhing around in pain. Other drivers were looking at me like I was crazy.

Luckily there was a sort of rest area overlook coming up so I pulled in. I quickly shut the bike off and reached down the back of my pants (still in pain) but felt nothing. I got all my stuff put back on and ready to go, then I thought, I'm not chancing it. I took it all back off, reached down the back of my pants again, but this time I reached to the bottom and felt around in my underwear and felt a BB type of ball. I pulled it out and looked at it, and it was 2 sweat bees balled up together. I guess they were getting it on. For a couple days, I had a big swelling right at the end of my coccyx.

Had I rode on down the interstate without that last check, them suckers would have started stinging me in even more vulnerable regions, as when I loosened my pants to shove my hand down there, they went further down. Hurts to even think about it.

For those that don't know what a sweat bee is (that's what we call 'em in the dirty south) and may not have them where you live, they look kind of like a housefly, but about 1/2 or 1/3 the size of a full grown housefly. They seem to hang around swimming pools and long grassy areas. And they're tough built. You could smack and skwarsh a housefly and barely feel it. If you slap a sweat bee, you feel them (like slapping a little BB) and most of the time they just fly off. But as a kid I learned to flick them with my fingernail and that does them in. I don't think they sting, I think they bite. And they're not as painful as a bee sting. It starts off as just somewhat annoying, but the feeling increases until it is painful, unless you whomp them first. They're kind of easy to whomp, they don't see it coming like a housefly.

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got hit, stung by a bee, bug, bird, something; and it huurrrt. Ohhhhh, pobrecitos.
So, it hasn't happened to you yet?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Back in 1973, I was riding a Suzuki GS550 Triple. No windshield. Wearing a loose fitting Kmart 29 dollar helmet with no face shield. I was accustomed to hitting June Bugs. They are big and hurt when you hit them. Usually, I could see them a fraction of a second before impact, which didn't leave time to dodge. But one night, I saw a June Bug and ducked. It missed me and hit my wife right in the forehead! I heard a loud "Smack", and knew I was in trouble. She is still mad at me over that.
Another time, on same bike with same gear, I hit a wasp. It wedged between my temple and my helmet and must have stung me five times before I could get the bike to the side of the road and get that helmet off. I was banging the side of my helmet, trying to kill that thing, but it was a tough critter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts