Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a Leo Vince exhaust system on a 2004 Burger 400 (part # 125-4012). I was viewing the Suzuki dealer’s parts catalog for an exhaust system and noted the Leo Vince exhaust; the caption stated, “increased torque and a clear improvement in throttle response”. My only complaint about the 400 is the sound coming out of that pipe hanging off the side of my bike. At times my bike sounds like a Toro Lawnmower or worse. The Leo Vince exhaust would most likely get rid of that dreadful sound and add to the performance of the Burger?
Thanks for any information you can provide.

Cheers Al

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Al, I liked the sound of the 400 with the Leo Vince. It was a deeper tone. I did not find it too loud. Performance increase??? I may have helped a little. It "seemed to help" when the engine was running at peak output, 60 to 75 mph. But I would not get one if a performance increase is what you are looking for, you may be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Al, on the other side of the coin, I didn't like the louder sound and just sold my LV to Bleeder in Ca. I did't notice a appreciable increase in performance either. Hold tight, and Bleeder can give us a report shortly on how he likes it.

Also, he just bought a Malossi Variator kit so we can be looking forward to a report on that as well. How do I know? He outbid me on Ebay!! Didn't know who I was bidding against at the time or I might have run it up some. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
428 Posts
ted clement said:
Also, he just bought a Malossi Variator kit so we can be looking forward to a report on that as well. How do I know? He outbid me on Ebay!! Didn't know who I was bidding against at the time or I might have run it up some. :lol: :lol:
:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL!!!
**** right. I'd be insulted if you didn't, although 12 more bucks and you'd be the proud owner. :wink:

But Al, yes, I will be installing a LV and Malossi on my '04 400 SOMETIME in the future, but I'm also building a new home, running my businesses, etc. etc., so it may be a couple of months out.

My impression from what I've heard is like roy and Ted said: No real noticable performance increase, and the sound of it is something you either like (roy) or dislike (Ted). Just a matter of personal preference.

Peace.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Bleeder

When you get around to it do one or the other alone, preferably the LV.

When you fit the Malossi - you will most certainly notice a significant performance improvement in the 20-60mph window.

If you do them together you may think that Malossi and LV are equal partners in the performance boost! (That would not be fair). :)

So what does the Malossi retail at?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey Norman,
Yes I was thinking as you that the sequence of installation should be the LV first otherwise any performance enhancement would be undetectable.

The full retail of the Malossi here in the US, as close as Ted and I could determine, is around 250usd + shipping.

I thought it odd that the LV on ebay that you posted was bid up to within 10 or 15usd of full retail - for a used unit!! Made me appreciate all the more the deal Ted gave me for his.

Peace.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Bleeder said:
Hey Norman,
[snipped]
I thought it odd that the LV on ebay that you posted was bid up to within 10 or 15usd of full retail - for a used unit!! Made me appreciate all the more the deal Ted gave me for his.

Peace.
Yeah - thats what ruins ebay too many people willing to bid retail for an item (and then they have to pay shipping too on top)!

Really mucks it all up for the long serving 'tight-wads' - like me! :lol:

I have been tracking Givi E52s on ebayUK for months - and the place is awash with buyers who want to win that auction at any cost it seems - saddos! :wink:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yer preaching to the choir there pardner. I posted here somewhere last night about Vespa prices on ebay. Sheer lunacy.

Peace.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Bleeder wrote:

I thought it odd that the LV on ebay that you posted was bid up to within 10 or 15usd of full retail - for a used unit!! Made me appreciate all the more the deal Ted gave me for his

\You can allways slip a few more bucks in the mail if you want!

·
Registered
428 Posts
:D :D :D
You already cost me on that Malossi auction so you'll just have wait and get yer reward in heaven, like the rest of us.

Peace.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Ok Bleeder, be a tightwad, see if I care. Just wait till you try getting the OEM off, and LV on :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Leo Vince Exhaust + Malossi Variator

Hi U All, I am new but I bought Gib McKain 2003 AN400 with 1155 miles on it. He lived in the Colorado and I live in Georgia. I actually picked the scooter up in Kansas after a friend hauled it there. I then rode it back to Atlanta, GA 1000 miles in two days back in July 2004. I now have 4100 miles on it. I ride to work 3-4 days a week to work, 19 miles one way when it is not raining or is above 50 degrees when leave the house. I am too old for cold weather riding. For reference, I am a Vietnam Vet so that gives you an idea of my age. I served aboard nuclear powered vessels and nuclear qualifed. Some will know what that means but most will not.

Gib already installed the LV pipe and the Malossi variator so I do not have any experience with a stock scooter. Before I left Kansas, I replaced the engine and gear oil with Amsoil 5W-40 synthetic oil. On my trip back from Kansas I averaged between 56-63 mpg, all highway driving but not on the interstate highway. My speed was between 60-65 mph. Driving in Atlanta traffic on the side roads, no interstate, I average between 56-59 mpg driving 45-55 mph. Mileage seem to drop off 2 mpg if I remove the exhaust baffle but there is more noticeable power available, but it is noiser (sounds like a Harley under the helmet, realistically it is not that loud). Estimated top speed with the baffle removed is 95 mph. I have reached 89 mph with the baffle installed. You all know that indicated speed reads high on most motorcycles and scooters, about 10%, so you are actually going slower than indicated.

I have also installed a head light modulating unit and it freaks some people out, but what the hey, it is my life I worry about not their inconvenice. I have the standard windshield and I don't mind it, I like being able to look over it vs looking through it as with a larger shield. I am 5' 8" tall.

I have three negative comments. First, the brakes seem mushy, not very positive. I have to squeeze darn hard to get the scooter to stop. My 50cc Aprilia has very good response and moderate force is only required. My son is taken over the Aprilia and I had installed an Arrow exhaust since day 1 and changed the rollers to Malossi. Top speed is about 58 mph indicated. That scooter has about 5600 miles and it has been 15 months since I bought it.

Second, the seat strut would not hold up the seat. After one year, it should still be workable but it is not. The Suzuki dealer wanted $67 plus tax for the strut. I believe the wrong strut was used, it is underdesigned. I found a company that sells the same manufacturer that caters to other industries for a cheaper price, $38 plus $9 shipping. The strut is 1 inch longer and is bigger in diameter. Stabilus part number is 1718EQ and has a force of 98 newtons vs the stock 1147RU force of 90 newtons. The holes for the strut are 10 mm vs 8 mm for the stock strut. Solution, I made my own bushings by cutting the top of a Sanford Uni-Ball 2 mm ball point pen. The company is JWF Technologies in Ohio. Just type the company name in Google and you will find it.

The third is my FI red has come on steadily twice. The scooter seems to ride just fine. Both time it has been in the morning, temperature less than 60 degrees and high humidity. If I turn off the engine and restart, it will come back on about three minutes later. I will see it if comes on this afternoon as I drive home going by the dealer. :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Jim,

I served in the USAF as a flight crew member during the Vietnam conflict. We had an active thread running for a while on the age of our members, and the average age was in the fifties. I know we have had a member or two in their mid seventies - so you aren't likely to be the "old man" of the group. I do still ride in very cold weather, but with help from electrically heated jacket liner and gloves - great stuff. It's the snow and ice that ruins my fun for about 3 months out of the year.

Hope you get the FI light thing sorted out soon. I don't really have any advice to give on that. A lot of folks install braided steel brake lines on motorcycles and report a great improvement in brake performance and feel. I don't think anyone has done it on a Burgman yet, but it might be worth looking into.

Glad to have you with us. Keep us posted on your efforts to sort out the issues with the scooter.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: Leo Vince Exhaust + Malossi Variator

Hi Jim
Welcome to the forum :hello2:
Wow!-What an impressive and informative first post. :blob:
Nuclear qualified - I understand - were you, what we in the UK call, a 'Back Afty'? :thumbup:
Not noticed the mushy brakes myself (I think they are great) maybe the braided hose option will harden them up for you
Good info on the seat strut, have you got an aftermarket seat or has it been accessorised to increase the weight ? - mine is stock and works fine, by the way -JWF Technologies - do they make the beefier strut or the ball point.pens? :wink: :lol:
As yours is under warranty - the FI warning has really got to be a dealer visit. (Do you have one nearby?).
TTFN

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Welcome aboard Jim. Like to see all you young fellers join up. I was in the little conflict before Vietnam........now, thats really getting old! :lol:

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Jim. Glad to have you join us. I also suggest taking the 400 by the dealer for the FI issue. it may be an indication of an upcoming fault.

·
Registered
18 Posts
FI indicator

I made a hypothesis yesterday about the FI light coming on and my theory was proven on the way home. Don't know what it means yet. I was willing to bet the FI light would NOT come on while on the way home because the outside temperature would be higher and the humidity lower. My theory is the high humidity in the early morning is affecting a sensor or wiring. The light has never come while riding in the rain, just while it was parked overnight under my gazebo. In the morning you can see the fog over the ground. I may drop by the dealer, but if the light is not on, they can't diagnosis it.

Questions about the seat strut, JWF Technologies distributes the struts. The Uni-ball pen you can buy at Walmart. My seat does have a back rest which I did not think about and will add to the weight. The new strut is barely strong but will hold up the seat when lifted by hand. When this strut no longer can hold up the seat, I will move up to the next size of 150 newtons. Critical dimensions, extended length max is about 20 inches, the stock is 19 inches. Compressed length should be less than 12 inches, from the center line of the strut holes.

Overall the scooter does not have any flat spots in the power curve with the Malossi variator and Leo pipe. This is shown in the Malossi literature showing the HP vs miles per hour. Gib also install a K&N air filter, which should help in performance. Gib indicator the biggest bang for the bucks was the variator. The pipe had a smaller affect.. Nice chatting with you call, until the next problem.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: FI indicator

Scooter Man said:
.. Nice chatting with you call, until the next problem.
Well there wouldn't be much chat if we just talked about 'problems' :roll: because in general the Burgers are relatively problem free. So come back and chat about ..................well whatever you like! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts