Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For many years I rode gold wings in upstate new york where there are tons of flying bugs. After a 100 mile ride the windshield would be covered so bad it was a problem if you wanted to look through it. Everyone I knew in the gold wing road riders club carried a can of lemon pledge and a soft cloth, an old tee shirt is perfect. Here in Florida we are just coming to the end of the love bug season and I tried the lemon pledge and it worked great, The pledge seems to just melt the bugs away and leaves a nice clear shiel that also shed water like duck's back. Has anyone heard of a reason why I should not use this product on the Burgman? I used to do my whole bike with it when it was just bugs and not gritty dirt and it never scratched or hurt the finish or the windshield. Ken

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I've used Lemon Pledge on all my vehicles with great results. I've not heard of anything detrimental.
Mike

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have been using lemon Pledge for many years and it works as described above. I also use it on helmet face shields and on the bike when travelling. Lately, I cannot find the pump bottle, which I prever to the pressurized spray.
I imagine that just about any handy wax will do just as well, but I tend to stay in ruts.......a creature of old habit.
Here at the Retirement Home, some people are using a Honda product that does very well.
Time for meds, a few prune juice shooters (eye openers) and breakfast.

·
Premium Member
14,480 Posts
Another vote for Pledge. I've been using it on bikes since the 70's when it was a thick white liquid that came in a bottle. The spray cans are much more convenient.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Well, I'm glad you guys found a use for Pledge. As a piano technician, I always steer customers away from pledge because of it's "build-up" characteristics. After a few years of using pledge on the wood cabinet of pianos, it builds up and starts smearing instead of rubbing into the wood finish. Months later the Pledge finish would still be oily and would smear when touching the piano.

I have a can of pledge that has been in my closet for years. Now I finally have a use for it :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Pledge works well for me too - but -----------

Use the unscented Pledge (not the lemon one) as the fruity one seems to attract wasps and bees among other less friendly flying critters to the windshield !!

Victor

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pledge

BC,
I never tried anything but the lemon, since everyone else was using that I guess I just assumed the lemon made it work better on the bugs, thanks. Ken

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Scootermikie said:
Well, I'm glad you guys found a use for Pledge. As a piano technician, I always steer customers away from pledge because of it's "build-up" characteristics. After a few years of using pledge on the wood cabinet of pianos, it builds up and starts smearing instead of rubbing into the wood finish. Months later the Pledge finish would still be oily and would smear when touching the piano.

I have a can of pledge that has been in my closet for years. Now I finally have a use for it :)
Interesting you mention this, Scootermikie... if you do a search on here, you'll see that the 'original' BUSA guys who swore by Lemon Pledge eventually stopped using it for the same reason... oily buildup that would give oily rainbow swirls in the sun, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
GammelDansk said: Interesting you mention this, Scootermikie... if you do a search on here, you'll see that the 'original' BUSA guys who swore by Lemon Pledge eventually stopped using it for the same reason... oily buildup that would give oily rainbow swirls in the sun, etc.[/quote]

On second thought, I just tossed the Pledge in the trash. I'll stick with Plexis for the windscreen and Honda Cleaner/Polish for the tupperware.

·
Premium Member
14,480 Posts
Like I've said I've used pledge for years and have not seen the build up problem. Maybe it's the way I use it. I put it on and let it set a few seconds then wipe it off. I then let it dry for a few minutes and go back and buff it again with a soft cloth (now a days a microfiber cloth). I also wash the bike with a car wash soap product from time to time.

Does that damage the wax that you put on it? I'm pretty sure the paint on the Burgy or Maggy is fantastic, but if you wax it, does the Pledge remove that wax? I highly doubt it, but it is a valid question!
I wax my bike about once a year with a car wax (the last time I used ICE) then use the Pledge like a detailer during the year between waxings. It does not seem to strip the wax.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a motorhome and a tip came through one of my publications. Use dryer sheets to remove bugs. You do need to rinse with water afterwards. One big advantage, several dryer sheets don't take up as much room in the storgage compartment as the spray can.

Remember, if you use this tip but sure to rinse afterward.

·
Registered
352 Posts
+1 for the dryer sheets! I get the really cheap ones!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.