Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Florida statute, FS 316.003 (22), also defines motorcycle as "Any motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.", which of course makes Tow-Pac equipped "quikes" not motorcycles. What they are does not seem to be defined in the law, not that I can find anyway, however as one is not a motorcycle it does technically indicate that seat belts are required.

That said I have seen several of them, including a 650 Burgman here in Saint Augustine, all of which were carrying motorcycle tags. I don't think our bureaucrats and law enforcement have discovered they have four wheels on the ground--or perhaps (this being quite unlikely) have sufficient common sense to realise it doesn't matter...

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Scooter_Maniac said:
Look at the specific language of the statute that Cliff quoted. Note, that it says "designed to travel on". I recently spoke with the rider of a triked Burgman 650, that had the Tow-Pak kit installed. He said that since the Tow-Pak is removable and leaves the bike unmodified after doing so, it is considered a two wheeler and requires a motorcycle license. I don't know if Colorado statutes have similar language but, I could see how it could be interpreted to allow a motorcycle license with such a kit.
You are applying a myopic and unsupported proposition that "designed to" refers exclusively to the vehicle's "original" design; when in fact the statute makes no such distinction. In law, and without any statutory or specific statement of legislative intent "designed to" would be interpreted to mean as currently designed and implemented--I.e. "as built"' not limited to as per the original design.

The fact is that Tow-Pac and the other training wheel "trike" packages are designed to have four wheels in contact with the road--as such they are not motorcycles under Florida law.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.