Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I live in Saskatchewan Canada and had my wife's bike, a 2006 burgman 400 with tow pac trike kit licensed for a couple of years as a two wheeled bike which I found out was illegal. Now I find out that it is illegal here to have a trike kit attached to this bike and it cannot be licensed at all in this province. I was floored. Is there any province or state that trike kits such as the tow pac are 'illegal' other than Saskatchewan Canada? Thanks for any help with this. My wife passed away in January and I will be selling her bike, I guess separately. Bike to someone local and trike kit to another province or state that allows trike kits.

Andy

·
Administrator
18,342 Posts
Andy, check the wording of the law. Here in Washington state they are classified as a 4 wheel vehicle, not a bike. The wording of our law is a bike has 2 or 3 tires in contact with the road. A 2 wheel requires a motorcycle endorsement but the rules change with three wheels. You may need to register it as a street legal 4 wheel recreational vehicle. :roll:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hi Andy..............sorry about your wife......!!!! I posted your question on a motorcycle forum and asked a Canadian dealer who deals in bikes and trikes.

Waiting for an answer now........

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Florida statute, FS 316.003 (22), also defines motorcycle as "Any motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.", which of course makes Tow-Pac equipped "quikes" not motorcycles. What they are does not seem to be defined in the law, not that I can find anyway, however as one is not a motorcycle it does technically indicate that seat belts are required.

That said I have seen several of them, including a 650 Burgman here in Saint Augustine, all of which were carrying motorcycle tags. I don't think our bureaucrats and law enforcement have discovered they have four wheels on the ground--or perhaps (this being quite unlikely) have sufficient common sense to realise it doesn't matter...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Look at the specific language of the statute that Cliff quoted. Note, that it says "designed to travel on". I recently spoke with the rider of a triked Burgman 650, that had the Tow-Pak kit installed. He said that since the Tow-Pak is removable and leaves the bike unmodified after doing so, it is considered a two wheeler and requires a motorcycle license. I don't know if Colorado statutes have similar language but, I could see how it could be interpreted to allow a motorcycle license with such a kit.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Scooter_Maniac said:
Look at the specific language of the statute that Cliff quoted. Note, that it says "designed to travel on". I recently spoke with the rider of a triked Burgman 650, that had the Tow-Pak kit installed. He said that since the Tow-Pak is removable and leaves the bike unmodified after doing so, it is considered a two wheeler and requires a motorcycle license. I don't know if Colorado statutes have similar language but, I could see how it could be interpreted to allow a motorcycle license with such a kit.
You are applying a myopic and unsupported proposition that "designed to" refers exclusively to the vehicle's "original" design; when in fact the statute makes no such distinction. In law, and without any statutory or specific statement of legislative intent "designed to" would be interpreted to mean as currently designed and implemented--I.e. "as built"' not limited to as per the original design.

The fact is that Tow-Pac and the other training wheel "trike" packages are designed to have four wheels in contact with the road--as such they are not motorcycles under Florida law.

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave_J said:
Andy, check the wording of the law. Here in Washington state they are classified as a 4 wheel vehicle, not a bike. The wording of our law is a bike has 2 or 3 tires in contact with the road. A 2 wheel requires a motorcycle endorsement but the rules change with three wheels. You may need to register it as a street legal 4 wheel recreational vehicle. :roll:
Thanks, I could try this, but I kinda think they won't go for it in my province. They are pretty tight-asses here. :(

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
v8eyedoc said:
Hi Andy..............sorry about your wife......!!!! I posted your question on a motorcycle forum and asked a Canadian dealer who deals in bikes and trikes.

Waiting for an answer now........
Thanks V8eyedoc!

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cliffyk said:
Florida statute, FS 316.003 (22), also defines motorcycle as "Any motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.", which of course makes Tow-Pac equipped "quikes" not motorcycles. What they are does not seem to be defined in the law, not that I can find anyway, however as one is not a motorcycle it does technically indicate that seat belts are required.

That said I have seen several of them, including a 650 Burgman here in Saint Augustine, all of which were carrying motorcycle tags. I don't think our bureaucrats and law enforcement have discovered they have four wheels on the ground--or perhaps (this being quite unlikely) have sufficient common sense to realise it doesn't matter...
I really wonder what would happen to insurance, especially the injury part if one were to get into an accident. We had it licensed as a bike for a couple of years and I am so glad my wife was not injured or had an accident no matter who might have been at fault. We probably couldn't have had a claim processed because it was illegal?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
adentre said:
Hi I live in Saskatchewan Canada and had my wife's bike, a 2006 burgman 400 with tow pac trike kit licensed for a couple of years as a two wheeled bike which I found out was illegal. Now I find out that it is illegal here to have a trike kit attached to this bike and it cannot be licensed at all in this province. I was floored. Is there any province or state that trike kits such as the tow pac are 'illegal' other than Saskatchewan Canada? Thanks for any help with this. My wife passed away in January and I will be selling her bike, I guess separately. Bike to someone local and trike kit to another province or state that allows trike kits.

Andy

Andy - I posted your question on a motorcycle forum of which I am a member also and finally got a reply from another member from Canada.........!!!

Trigg trike kits and EasyOn trike kits are allowed for sure in Alberta...our province...there is a dealer who sells the EasyOn and we sell the Trigg
I beleive if you hit the Border as a Canadian coming North with a bike with the kit on they might not allow it..installed in Canada is a different story.

I would have to check with Alberta Registry on the one that is talked about in your post..the TowPAc..

FYI..you cannot import a motorcycle into Canada that has been converted to a true trike IE: Lehman / Champion etc on a Harley or Goldwing. ..but the conversions are legal to install on a motorcycle already in Canada..

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks like I may be selling my wife's quike to someone in Alberta. Look soon for a posting in classifieds, as soon as the snow is gone in Regina, which seems to be a long way away. It is going down to minus 16 celcius tonight!!!!!!! Good grief, I'd actually like to type some different words I am actually thinking :evil: , but I don't think it would cut it on this site. :lol:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
adentre said:
looks like I may be selling my wife's quike to someone in Alberta. Look soon for a posting in classifieds, as soon as the snow is gone in Regina, which seems to be a long way away. It is going down to minus 16 celcius tonight!!!!!!! Good grief, I'd actually like to type some different words I am actually thinking :evil: , but I don't think it would cut it on this site. :lol:
Good luck........!!! Both with selling the scoot in Alberta and with those god-awful low temps.......!! For those member who don't "speak" Canadian - -16 C is just 3 stinkin' degrees F.......... Holy moly...!!! Batman!! :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts