Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added light strips, brake lights and turn signals. Dang bright at night! Led strips work as turn signals and brake lights.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Welcome.
Do you have an issue with flashing speed because of the led blinkers?
Personally I would have put mine horizontal along the top/bottom plate to be more aesthetic

The old burgman rear looks more interesting on the old one then 07+ model

I would paint that mudgaurd to color match the silver. Make it more like goldwings that have everything painted. Thats just me

Looks in great condition. How many miles?

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Looks nice.

Link to lights?

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
For those of you who like this idea, make da$% sure you fuse the lights, led's are great, better than incandescents, but they can IGNITE if they malfunction and are not sufficiently current limited. Granted this increases visibility, but only short term and generally only once. Don't ask, still got burn scars on my hands.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bike is a 03 with 24500 on it. Great condition. Lights are fused and wired properly. I have a led relay installed so there is no hyper flashing. I own a Burgman, don’t want it to look like a Goodwing.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Mikey. I'm certified by the Federal Government to maintain and repair aircraft, im certified by the National Marine Manufacturers Association, I worked for Oshkosh Truck Defense, the USCG, and 90% of that was electrical? Power distribution panels as big as a refrigerator, wire harnesses for 40' boats, etc, etc, and with all due respect, that is laughable about fusing an LED. It certainly can't hurt, but LEDs are are in miliamps , tell me what kind of harm that can do and where you're getting a fuse small enough to protect that harness.

And don't be googling it and come back with all this scientific data that is irrelevant please

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
my experience with led's that led to trouble was the wiring overheated and caught fire, it started at the base of a bulb, now, the amperage of a functioning bulb is small, but the amperage of ANYTHING malfunctioning, can be a little higher, my LIMITED knowledge of designing and installing electronics included the idea, fuses are not there to prevent malfunctions, they are there to have the damage occur at a specific point (the fuse), you fuse as small as necessary to run components and if a malfunction occurs, the fuse blows before damage occurs, P.s. I don't need to google it, swmbo told me it's true.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m a commercial electrician, been wiring for 20+ years. A fuse is a good idea, it’s to protect the wire from over heating, melting and causing a fire. It doesn’t matter if the led suck very little, the fuse is not there to protect it. If a wire gets pinched, crushed etc, it could heat up and cause a fire if there is no fuse to burn out first.
please don’t be stupid and not put in a fuse.

·
Administrator
18,069 Posts
I’m a commercial electrician, been wiring for 20+ years. A fuse is a good idea, it’s to protect the wire from over heating, melting and causing a fire. It doesn’t matter if the led suck very little, the fuse is not there to protect it. If a wire gets pinched, crushed etc, it could heat up and cause a fire if there is no fuse to burn out first.
please don’t be stupid and not put in a fuse.
Agree with that but to expand on that thought, if the LED's draw 1 amp, put a 2 or 3 amp fuse inline, do NOT let a 30 Amp fuse protect that circuit.

And REMEMBER, the Burgmans do NOT use the bike frame for any grounds. There is a Black with White stripe wire for all circuits and if you add anything you must wire the ground to one of these wires.

(Retired IBEW and low volt electrician for 45+ years too)

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
I’m standing here in awe with some juice in my shorts .....this site and it’s members are the best.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Show me an LED that draws 1 amp. I have a 6" LED lightbar that draws 1.5 amps.
Also, an LED is not a bulb it's a diode!
Yes, putting a fuse in is never a bad idea, but it would have to be a cut, chaffed, grounded out positive wire to blow a fuse, so yes, you're right that way, but in no way shape or form will you blow ANY fuse with a bad LED. Miiliamps! My smallest fuses are 1 amp.
I have two-4" cube LED LIGHTS, a 6" LED LIGHT bar and two H11s on my truck, with a 10 amp fuse and never blown it, because even lights only draw 1 to 2 amps. A diode led like the strips you buy from Walmart, I have them on my girlfriends scooter wired off an old 9volt battery that went bad on my smoke alarm and it still lights up both her led strips 2 years later. Fuse that.....

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
How's the old saying go,, diodes short, capacitors open, beer is good, S&* is better, something likr that, I only remember the beer is good part.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts