Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my trip down to San Francisco from Oregon was fairly epic..

Bike report - my mpg is going up. My average between 0-1900 miles was about 43-50mpg (I am a chunky guy).

After fitting the Givi AF266 it dropped a couple of mpg.

My trip in to work is 27 miles pretty much and NOW I am getting around 53-54mpg per tank. That is also without anything much in the under seat storage, or the Givi Maxia 55 attached. The mpg appears to be improving with each tankful, steadily. It also gets better, the faster I am going now which is weird - when running it in, it was getting less the faster I went.. muoy weirdness

Some vibration through the handlebars, nothing some decent padded gloves wouldnt solve, but the vibrations are not so wonderful - I know its a thumper single but still.. counterbalances and elastomer fixings are wonderful things..

LIGHTS QUESTIONS (mods, why not consider having a sticky thread for ALL light queries..)

The headlights - can these be replaced with modern high intensity LEDs? NOT HIDs.. I am willing to fit a set if they are good quality (any recommendations other than cheapy chinese clones?) but prefer LED for the obvious reasons.

Besides the headlights in the 2012 400 is two small bulbs - presumably the parking lights? Can these be replaced with LED bulbs - any recommendations? Are these on when you are driving? Wouldnt it be good to have these with super high output LED bulbs? They look like 5w car bulbs. 5w LEDs in there would rock - anyone done that?

Now to the rear bulbs - recommendations? I am looking for plug and play - using the reflector lens. Not looking for Satan's Arse breath out of my rear lights, just long lived bulbs, with brighter output and less current draw. Nothing cutting edge either, just good quality, proven stuff. Also maybe the license plate holder although I like not having that so visible.. (ahem). The bike is already a pearlescent white blob of overweight lardy white household goods..

Thanks all...
:)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Well..it seems that either you are breaking in your new Burgy - OR that your new Burgy is breaking you up.????? So!! Which is it.????

lights.!!!! I was just on a motorcycle forum and they are discussing the same thing in one thread........ Here is a link for just about every kind of LED lamp made for automotive usage: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... _prods.htm Enjoy........!!!!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I would say ride 5-10,000 miles before you start monkeying with light bulbs----much more important now is get the original oil out of engine and change filter----take notes on Givi Box----the big ones do have neg effect on handling----hope you are not looking thru windshield=dangerous.

My mileage on 4-500 mile days, with no trying to get good mileage or controlling speed is 60-61 mpg---load doesn't seem to matter, all week around town can drop to 55 or so-----always cheapest fuel. I think mileage figures rise after 5,000 miles or so. 6,000-7000rpm seems to be economical---wind can make difference,too.

I think stock lighting is fine----bulbs after they go after 3-5 yrs can be found easily. Try that with LEDS on trip.With headlites, there are two problems as I see it---current draw and heat and third pattern. Suzuki put some thought into this

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
john grinsel said:
I would say ride 5-10,000 miles before you start monkeying with light bulbs----much more important now is get the original oil out of engine and change filter----take notes on Givi Box----the big ones do have neg effect on handling----hope you are not looking thru windshield=dangerous.

My mileage on 4-500 mile days, with no trying to get good mileage or controlling speed is 60-61 mpg---load doesn't seem to matter, all week around town can drop to 55 or so-----always cheapest fuel. I think mileage figures rise after 5,000 miles or so. 6,000-7000rpm seems to be economical---wind can make difference,too.

I think stock lighting is fine----bulbs after they go after 3-5 yrs can be found easily. Try that with LEDS on trip.With headlites, there are two problems as I see it---current draw and heat and third pattern. Suzuki put some thought into this
I hope that you are not implying that LED's draw more current than a halogen headlight bulb.??? Am I wrong..or what??

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
john grinsel said:
LED's do not draw more current.
As a former lighting designer - I knew that! Just wanted to make certain that you ALSO were aware of that......

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've always wondered why people on scooter sites always say that looking through a windshield is dangerous. I live in the land of Harley, every big cruiser I see with a windshield, the rider is looking through it. Every goldwing I see, the rider is looking through it. Seems to me the windshield is your first line of defense against quite a few things, why would you want your face up above it so you can catch a rock on your nose?

Apologies for hijacking, but I'm curious.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Looking thru windshield=dangerous----if you ride into sunset/rise, snow/sleet/mud or dirt/nite/fog, etc

Many of todays riders (trailerbikers) onlyride in perfect conditions----but look thru still not good idea, -----my take based on over 1.5 million 2 wheel miles in Asia/Europe/North and Central America-----all types of conditons, look over if you want to stay alive. When you see HD/Cruiser/GoldWing riders in their white tennis shoes---they simply do not have much experience------had one fall down in front of me last Sunday, loud pipes and all, Wheels thru Time Museum---wet grass/mud---Mr Cool with pony tail, too, applied front brake in the real slippery stuff and had no idea why bike went down----lack of skill/probably lack of daily riding/little experience put him face down in mud----I don't think looking thru shield put him there, but who knows. But windshield too high to look over.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
You can get high intensity LED lights, Daboo has a nice post showing some he added. If you want to REPLACE the regular headlights though things get more interesting. You need to make sure you can get the heat out to keep from frying them and if you live in Washington or Oregon such a replacement would be illegal as none of the aftermarket ones, so far, are DOT approved. If you want more light there are a variety of aftermarket lamps that put out quite a bit more light. I bought these http://store.candlepower.com/h4hb29003bulbs.html awhile back and am very pleased with them. So far I'm not convinced that the LED replacement bulbs put out enough light. If you use the kits that have their own reflectors that's another story. I added the "ad-more" lighting bar and it's great. Definitely keeps people off my tail on those dark wet days.

Ray

1 - 9 of 9 Posts