Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new to me 2011 Burgman 400 that I bought last July. All winter long I let it sit 3-4 weeks then start it up and let it run 15 minutes then 3-4 weeks do it all over again till I start riding it in April... I do this with my B650 and Honda Helix as well. All winter all was good.

Now this spring I installed LED driving lights on the 400 and the Helix. The 400 has two tiny position light up front. I disconnected them and from one bulb socket I took power to drive the driving lights. It goes through a switch then to the lights. 2 times now this season the 400 failed to start. The first time it sat for about 14 days without use. Battery way low and I had to put the charger on it. The second time it sat about 8 days and wouldn't start without me twisting the throttle. Never did that before. It has always started just bumping the starter button. Now the only thing I've done is add the LED's.

Same for the Helix. Always started without issue. It basically had 2 problems starting sitting the same length of time as the 400, unless I added throttle. Never did that before the LED's. I took power for them from the Helix front position lights also.

To me the only thing it makes sense is that they are drawing minute amounts of voltage somehow. I've just thought this out yesterday, so today I turned off the switch to the lights to see it the problem persists in a few days.

Any and all ideas about this problem would be most welcome.
Thanks, Bill....

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
How old are the batteries? My guess is the batteries are going bad. They need to have a load test done.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The purpose of your light switch is to disconnect your lights from your battery. So unless your light switch is malfunctioning (unlikely), there is no way the lights can draw power when off.

I agree with model28a, your battery is most likely going bad.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
The purpose of your light switch is to disconnect your lights from your battery. So unless your light switch is malfunctioning (unlikely), there is no way the lights can draw power when off.

I agree with model28a, your battery is most likely going bad.
. +1

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I agree, your batteries are on their way to battery heaven. Oh, and about your Helix... When mine got to be about 10 years old it got fussy. If I let it set more than a week then it complained about stating. I cleaned the jets on it but it was still fussy. Was going to put new jets into it when I traded it on the Burgman. Gave the new jets to the owner of the dealership and they replaced them. It started like it did back when it was new after the new jets. Still regret giving them the Helix, I just didn't have room for four bikes. Three is actually more than I really want to keep.

Just thought I would come back and add something. I keep two of my bikes on a Battery Tender Jr when I put them up. That way I never come out to a dead battery unless it is just that time and they have quit. The third bike of mine has a six volt system so I just take my chances with it. It is a kick start so it will usually start even if the battery is dodgy.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I agree, your batteries are on their way to battery heaven. Oh, and about your Helix... When mine got to be about 10 years old it got fussy. If I let it set more than a week then it complained about stating. I cleaned the jets on it but it was still fussy. Was going to put new jets into it when I traded it on the Burgman. Gave the new jets to the owner of the dealership and they replaced them. It started like it did back when it was new after the new jets. Still regret giving them the Helix, I just didn't have room for four bikes. Three is actually more than I really want to keep.

Just thought I would come back and add something. I keep two of my bikes on a Battery Tender Jr when I put them up. That way I never come out to a dead battery unless it is just that time and they have quit. The third bike of mine has a six volt system so I just take my chances with it. It is a kick start so it will usually start even if the battery is dodgy.

Doug from Kentucky
Those pilot jets in the Honda scooters were notorious for getting plugged up after sitting , especially now with this crappy gas .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
463 Posts
In any carb'd bike i have i Always put about a Half quart of ATF (Automatic Transmission fluid) in the Gas tank, then ride bike for about 50 miles to get the mix in the carb, then park for the winter.

I have Not had any problems with carb'd bikes.

I also use it on injected bikes, cars, trucks.

ATF is one of the Most refined Oils there is, and it also cleans as it lubricates, all fuel lines, carbs, injectors, fuel pumps, valves, piston tops, top Rings, intake manifolds.

I will also use it during the summer too as it just makes the bike run really good, and very smooth.

I do that maybe every other tank.

I also use ATF as a engine flush, Before an Oil change,

I drain 1/2 quart of oil out then top off with ATF ride for 500 miles, then do the oil change, it really cleans well and does not hurt clutches, as it is designed for trans clutches

1 - 7 of 7 Posts