Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually have some info from other people's rides that I want to share. I was out in my truck today, and I saw something that explains to me one of the reasons people think of motocycles as being more dangerous than cars. In front of me was a small flock of about 4 GoldWings out riding around on the freeway, so I dropped in line behind them. Although I was not on my Burgman (thankfully in this situation) I usually try to run interference for riders when I can so I get behind them. I know I'm not going to run up on them or knock them over, so I stick my truck between them and other cars. Well, this group was some of the most idiotic riders I have ever seen. The wind was only blowing about 15 mph, but none of them could hold a strait line and were swerving all over the lane. They were riding in the center lane of a 3 lane highway during 5 pm rush hour traffic. All of a sudden the woman on the rear bike swerved over into the left hand lane, cutting off a large truck for no reason. I know it was for no reason, because a few moments later, she swerved back into her original postion in the center. Then, a couple of minutes later, she did it again. After that, the whole pack of them runs up into the middle of a cluster of cars, with vehicles 4 or 5 deep on either side, leaving themselves no escape route. Then, of course, the inevitable happens, and one of the cars tried to change into their lane, since they were in the blind spots of about 6 cars at once being crammed up in traffic like that. The biker who almost got sideswiped swerved out into the lefthand lane, cutting off ANOTHER truck, and forcing the truck to jump on it's brakes to keep from rear-ending him. Sadly, I am sure that when those people got to wherever they were going, they all sat around griping about how inconsiderate drivers are to bikers and how no one ever looks, when the whole situation was their fault. Idiots. It's people like that who give bikers a bad name, and who create the perception that motorcycles are more dangerous than cars. I'm sure they are when you ride as if you own the road and everyone else needs to get out of your way. A little common sense would have gone a long way toward keeping the whole situation from ever occuring. I just wanted to share this observation as a reminder to everyone that no one is going to look after our safety for us, and to please be careful and aware.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Horrible story but yet hauntingly true.

i stay away from "packs" till i see, literally, that they are being responsible.

i learned early on that just seeing a pack and rushing up to it because it is what it is could have diminishing value.

·
Registered
969 Posts
'Diminishing value?' Have I told you today how weird you are, Pete? :D

Steve

Gear up!

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
only a few times steve...
thats ok - ill consider the source
steve!
dagum teaser. :D :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Awareness

Awareness is the main key to not getting run over on a bike. The Goldwing riders should take some kind of safety course, but of course, like you said, they thought THEY owned the road. I have only ridden with other bikes three times... and I stay away from anyone who doesn't look like they know what they are doing; I imagine a bike pileup must be a horrible thing. My main offensive techniques are to watch blind spots, make sure left turners see me, and stay away from swerving cars AND bikes. If at all possible I will usually pass these people or pull over for a pit stop.
I noticed that my Bluefirebullet suprises a lot of people in autos, even for it's size. Just another reason I love it. :D

I would like to ride in a group, eventually, but it is very hard to find people that want to ride with me here. There are a lot of Harley riders here and I think that they are just afraid of being seen with a scooter as big as their bikes. The crotch rockets all want to test me... I have kept up with a few, keeping my distance, but I just can't afford to be burning my tires away like that. I guess, for now, I will just have to deal with watching the other groups and hopping into the good ones, sometimes.

Then again, from the amount of accidents I have seen around here, maybe it's a good idea to stay away from most of these bikes...
****, I am starting to sound like a drag. Come on tire... AZMOTO said
1 to 2 weeks, but I need it NOW! It is so bad for me to go this long w/out riding :evil: That's my psychiatrist!!! :shock: And I keep seeing all the other riders in this area look at my bike just sitting on the porch. Soon enough guys. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts