Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pin hole right in the center of a fairly new tire, in the tred grove itself , Is it safe to plug a Motorcycle tire , Or patch from the inside ? Or do I need to replace the tire.
Y- Block

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
Lots of folks will tell you that plugging a motorcycle tire is not safe and it should only be used as an emergency method to get you home. At the same time lots of folks have plugged motorcycle tires and ridden them for thousands of miles with no problems. I have plugged tires that only have a couple of thousand miles of life in them and ridden them until they were worn out.

If they are newer then I will go to the expense of having it repaired from the inside with a combination plug patch. I consider that to be a much stronger repair and more likely to survive several thousand miles of riding without any issues. I had an almost new rear tire repaired that way and rode it over 6,000 miles. The downside of doing the inside patch is that the tire needs to be demounted and you really should have it rebalanced when it is remounted. The cost of doing that is high enough that it is only practical if the tire is fairly new.

My caveat to pluging or patching a motorcycle tire is that the hole should be within 1 inch of the center line before I will do it for other than a get home repair. If it is outside that range and I'm doing it just to get home I will limit the speed I ride and check it frequently on the trip home.

·
Read Only
1,204 Posts
I have a Pin hole right in the center of a fairly new tire, in the tred grove itself , Is it safe to plug a Motorcycle tire , Or patch from the inside ? Or do I need to replace the tire.
Y- Block
I have plugged several like you describe and have worn them out with no problem. If plugs are unsafe, I don't think they would be allowed to be sold as the liability expense would be prohibitively expensive. The answer you get might be determined by the potential profit the shop can make on you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tire repaired

Thanks Guys, I have decided to plug the tire, I have the tools to do it and used the smallest hole reamer i have ,so far all seems well , I figure i had been driving it around for a time almost flat before i discovered it and the Michelin tire is so rigid you could hardly tell it was out of air, so I figured if the plug should leak i should experience the same thing as when it first lost the air. I will re post later this summer as to how it all worked out , Thanks again for the feed back.
Y- Block

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rear Tire replaced today

This is just an up date on my older plugged tire ,Today i replaced the worn rear tire with a new Perelli tire, The one i plugged back in July held just fine never had to add air to it . It was a Michelin Tire , and It didn't wear any place close to the original tire. The Original Hood Tire went 6,550 Miles The Michelin only got 3,670 miles , So I'll let you all know how the Perelli Fairs out Millage wise.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Glad it worked out. Over this side of the pond a professionally repaired tyre, that is one that has been vulcanised with a mushroom patch plug from the inside has a speed restriction put on it of 85mph. I would have thought this was a constant world wide. This is to prevent heat build up de-vulcanising the mushroom from the inside and leaking. This can and does happen on cars and bike if the speed limit is not respected. So it's not a good option on machines that can go faster than 85mph. On the other hand...Ultraseal punture preventative is much better and guaranteed not to leak from the same place ever. And it's permanent! It has no speed restriction, allowing the tyre to retain it's absolute maximum speed rating because it's so safe. It's now been tested to 175mph without any leakage. If you had used Ultraseal in the first instance (ie: putting it in from new) you would not have had a puncture. It seals really well and tells you where it's sealed the tyre. I've used it for years in bikes and we used it in the military too. You can still use it after the event if it's a small leak. It'll work just the same. That would be my way forward because it's safer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have plugged several like you describe and have worn them out with no problem. If plugs are unsafe, I don't think they would be allowed to be sold as the liability expense would be prohibitively expensive. The answer you get might be determined by the potential profit the shop can make on you.
Our local mc shop will not plug a tire....liability is the reason

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
remida The plug i put in was as good as when i first installed it ,other than being worn down. The hole was very small , and the truth be known i actually was riding on a flat tire at first with out realizing it was almost out of air. I felt a little difference when i made a turn , that is when i decided to check the air, and found out it was flat, so My thoughts were if once plugged and it did leak , it wouldn't be a major problem it would be just as it was before i fixed it, I did check it numerous times to make sure it held all it's air. And Now I have installed a New tire Which really changed the handling again , Like new. PS: I was riding Sunday in your neighborhood , and up around Chautauqua Lake and back home. Have a Great Fall and Be safe. Y---Block

·
Registered
67 Posts
remida The plug i put in was as good as when i first installed it ,other than being worn down. The hole was very small , and the truth be known i actually was riding on a flat tire at first with out realizing it was almost out of air. I felt a little difference when i made a turn , that is when i decided to check the air, and found out it was flat, so My thoughts were if once plugged and it did leak , it wouldn't be a major problem it would be just as it was before i fixed it, I did check it numerous times to make sure it held all it's air. And Now I have installed a New tire Which really changed the handling again , Like new. PS: I was riding Sunday in your neighborhood , and up around Chautauqua Lake and back home. Have a Great Fall and Be safe. Y---Block
next time you're around here,,,the coffee pot is on or Tim Hortons and Starbucks is only a few blocks away........

·
Read Only
1,204 Posts
Our local mc shop will not plug a tire....liability is the reason
It's not because of liability but they use liability as an excuse. They don't plug tires because they sell tires. If plugs imposed a danger, do you think the government would allow them to be sold and do you think stores would sell them?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've had great luck on two occasions using "Slime", sealed both tires without actually plugging them. Both tires had picked up nails, pulled nails, installed Slime, rode a few miles to see if it sealed. Worked great, no more problems until routine replacement of the tires.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's not because of liability but they use liability as an excuse. They don't plug tires because they sell tires. If plugs imposed a danger, do you think the government would allow them to be sold and do you think stores would sell them?
you have a point there......

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Actually, in the Uk you can sell them and buy them (plug kits), but it's not actually legal to use them! Explain that one... We can debate the safety aspect of tire plugs all day but many agencies in urop have tested them, as has the British Standards Institute and they are not safe for long term use. That's always been the case and if used they are only a short term get you home device. As the tire wears there is an increased risk of sudden deflation. Many folks I know have used them and had this happen, just as many folks have used them and found them to have lasted. But the point is, they are not reliable for long term use in spite of what some folks say. I certainly would not run them in any tire of mine. My life and that of others is too valuable. Ultraseal...that's the way forward.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've had great luck on two occasions using "Slime", sealed both tires without actually plugging them. Both tires had picked up nails, pulled nails, installed Slime, rode a few miles to see if it sealed. Worked great, no more problems until routine replacement of the tires.

Same here. Risked another season on a nearly new rear tire (B400). No highway speeds though. I will replace it in the spring.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
If it's a pinhole in the tire, I don't know why a good patch on the inside wouldn't hold for the remaining life of the tire.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts