Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After locking my keys inside my trunk and having to have my wife come rescue me with the second key (Talk about embarrassing :oops: ), I decided to add an emergency release like others have done. But being an engineer, and above all lazy I thought about an easier way. The next day I went down to Walmart on my lunch hour and bought a variety pack of Eagle brand steel Heavy Duty fishing leaders and a pair of small key rings, total cost a little over $3. After buying the stuff I headed out to my 650 to head back to work, only to find that I had locked my keys in the trunk AGAIN, but this time I had no one to rescue me, *bad word* *bad word* *bad word* :evil:. Luckily I had read the posts about getting into the trunk in an emergency, so I headed back into Walmart, and purchased a cheap screw driver and a pair of pliers, total cost again a little over $3. Back at the bike I pulled off the engine cover and gave a yank on the trunk release cable sheath where it ran over the engine and the trunk popped open easily. Got funny looks from the security guy :lol:

To install the emergency release I first drilled a hole in the side of the latch housing, and fed a small piece of stiff wire with a J bend on the end thru the hole and into the latch housing, hooked the swivel eye of one of the 6" leaders onto it and fished it back out thru the hole. You then run one of the split keyrings onto the swivel eyelet. Look down inside the latch and you'll see the post that has the trunk release cable attached with a small clevise pin. With the "hook" end bent slightly out (like in the picture of the leaders), you snap it over the post by pulling lightly on the ring/leader. I didn't bother to engage the "hook" into it's retainer but I suppose you could with a pair of needle nose or hemostats. a couple of small pieces of tape hold the ring down and keep the leader out of the way of the seat support post hole. Total time to install about ten minutes.

To use it just pull up on the side of the seat and probe underneath with your finger, snag the ring and give a gentle pull and voila the trunk pops open. As you can see it's very inobtrusive and I tested it a half dozen times with no problems. :cheers: [attachment=2:vwh9srag]leader package.JPG[/attachment:vwh9srag][attachment=0:vwh9srag]emergency release.JPG[/attachment:vwh9srag][attachment=1:vwh9srag]latch closeup.JPG[/attachment:vwh9srag]

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Dilbert would be proud! Great solution to a common problem...yes I too have locked the keys in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Good post!
I just wanted to point out that drilling a hole isn't necessary. If you remove the rear frame covers, you'll have full and easy access to the latch assembly. I used some scrap 24 gauge wire to do my trunk release. The wire runs down to the reflector, so I just reach up under the bike and yank.

Attachments

Reactions: OKLAHOMAMOSES

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
My routine is to take the key out and put in the pocket of my riding pants. Only on infrequent occasions do I need to take off my riding pants and put them in the trunk. If I follow my routine, then my key winds up in the trunk. Trust me, locking the key in the trunk would only be done accidentally!

Reactions: ducati14

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In my case I wear a leather jacket and helmet when I ride, both of which go in the trunk when I'm not riding. I got in a bad habit of pulling the keys out of the ignition and slipping them into my jacket pocket, as I was removing and storing my helmet (comes off first as it is stifling when not moving), then I sloughed off my jacket fold it up and tossed it in the trunk, with the keys in the pocket.

I am trying to develop a technique to parking the bike. I'm sure every one else has their own method too.

1. Drop the side stand and kill the engine.
2. Retract the mirrors.
3. Turn the key to the straight up (2nd position), push the mirror button again (so the mirrors deploy when I turn on the ignition).
4. Climb off, Push key in and rotate to right to pop trunk, swing handlebars to left and push and rotate key to left to lock steering, pull out key and slip it into my pants pocket.
5. Remove helmet and put in trunk, remove jacket and put in trunk, close trunk and latch it.

Since I installed the emergency release and started practicing this procedure I haven’t screwed up again, but then again I went for over a month since buying the bike and not locking the keys in the trunk, before I did twice in two days.:oops:
I'm sure I'll do it again some day and thats what the emergency release is for. :D

As for drilling or not drilling the hole, you're right, you don't have to drill the hole you can fish the leader out thru the preexisting "hole" in the corner of the latch if you want as it is small enough, but I remember reading someone else debating this and opting for the drill. As for removing the rear frame covers and routing the wire down, thats probably a good option, but remember I'M LAZY!, that would have been more work. :lol:

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I took long trips on my motorcycle I always feared loosing my key somewhere far from help. To protect myself I hid a spare key under a side panel or other "hard to find" location. I usually just layed it flat against a hidden surface and covered it with piece of duck tape. You could do that with your Burgman too. Maybe the upper surface of the small golf box, under and access panel, or where ever. My wife always carries a spare car key in her bilfold because she locks her keys in the car about once a month. ..just another option.

·
Registered
471 Posts
ronnielyons said:
Why are people removing their ignition key and putting it in the trunk, once they open it?
That's like asking why you hit your thumb with a hammer. You don't want to do it. You know there is a chance it could happen, and it's an accident when it does happen. :roll:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You wanna talk lazy? I'll see that bet and double dog dare ya.

I disconnected the seat latch completely, just lift and I'm in. :D

Come to think of it, a guy could even get lazier than that. You could cut off the back half of the seat and just reach in, wouldn't have to lift anything. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
501 Posts
Excellent! Kudos to you, SteveE.

I've been looking at this (I'm an engineer-type, myself), and this is a better solution than what I came up with. I will be following your example shortly.

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Sooner or later, even the most dillegent rider is going to end up locking their keys in the trunk, I have done it once thus far and luckily I had my spare key on me which I carry all the time (one for each one of my rides).

The emergency release is very nicely done here and is definitely worth contemplating if you are not going to carry a spare key or hide one on your scoot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What a simple and elegant solution. I intend to utilize this same technique as soon as I can get into my trunk and retrieve my keys. Yep, both keys are in garments that were locked together in the trunk. Fortunately I've got a spare key that I had made that allows me to ride the Burgman and fill it with gas but my spare isn't long enough to trigger the trunk release integrated with the ignition switch.

Would someone please help me here by pointing me to the thread(s) that discuss how to get at the trunk release cable via the engine cover.

I'd be ever so appreciative. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice, simple solution. I have managed to avoid this so far by leaving the key in the ignition until I have completed mucking about in the trunk and then grabbing the key as I am leaving the bike. If the key was less bulky I would probably carry one in a pocket of my wallet. I do carry the spare in my jacket pocket, but can see how both could end up inside :?

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
riskybiz, since you are talking about doing something elaborate to get the trunk open already (and no I don't have that link on hand), simply cut or grind the shoulders of the key down until it is long enough to reach. A lot of people do this already with spare keys.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Would someone please help me here by pointing me to the thread(s) that discuss how to get at the trunk release cable via the engine cover.

I've got the factory manual and can't find which panel is called "engine panel". I've been pulling plastic and breaking fasteners all morning. My cable is frozen and I can not open trunk on a 2004 400.

Any help?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Assuming you have a 650 the "engine panel" is the grey plastic engine cover that makes up the "hump" that you step over to get on the bike. (If you have a 400 I can't help you there.)There is one screw on the top near the back. Remove that, then reach down and find the two "notches" at the bottom rear of the cover (one on either side). Pull outward on them to pop the internally attached retaining clips loose. Now lift up on the rear of the cover and slide it back until the front portion of the cover slips out. Now it's just a matter of jockeying it back and forth to get it up and off. Reinstalling, is basically the reverse. Slide the tabs on the front into their respective notches. snap the retaining clips back in and reinstall the screw. As for the cable you will see it running along the top of the engine compartment on the right side. (Looks like a bicycle brake cable). Grab the cable sheathing with a pair of pliers and pull forward toward the front of the bike and the trunk should pop open.

Reactions: azz3879

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for your answer.

I have the 400. I finally got to it by ripping the backrest off and bending it down on the thin metal strip it is mounted on. I then loosened the piece of plastic the backrest mounts against. I could not take it off with the seat closed but I was able to trip the cable with a long screwdriver and open it. Coming in through the back through the black plastic panel was problematic as I have the large luggage rack mounted by four bolts two of which go right throught the black plastic .

Anyway after I got the seat open things got easier and I was able to rig a wire out under the seat as others have described here. Now I have to find a cheap source for those push pin fasteners.. .

Thanks again !

·
Registered
369 Posts
I used some picture hanging wire. It lasted 3 years. It broke on my last expedition. Fishing leaders is a much better idea, stainless steel and all that.
The method though works really well. Almost forgot about turning the key. Just reach for the loop.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts