Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if there is any age limit for a passenger on a motorcyle, or in our case, a big scooter. My seven-year-old son loves to ride of course, and though I would never take him out on the highway, I don't see too much danger in having him along on country roads. So before I get pulled over for breaking the law, I'm just wondering if I am breaking some law? If anyone knows please enlighten me.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Depends on your state. I'd check with the DMV to see what it is for your area. In TN, the requirement is that both feet of the passenger must be able to reach the pegs/floorboards.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if that's the case here in MS, then he isn't yet touching the footboards so we may just be illegal. Maybe I should check with the local police, but if I ask one of them and they say we can no longer ride, then we can no longer ride. You know. Of course they may not let me go the first time if I am in the wrong and that would be a big ticket most probably.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
I'd follow up with the DMV to be sure. Here's what I found on the web for MS :

Periodic Safety Inspection
Required by law.

65 MPH Speed Limit
In effect on designated rural interstate highways.

Motorcycle Safety Helmet
Required by law

State Funded Rider Ed
Not available

Eye Protection
No restriction

Daytime Use of Headlight
No restriction

Passenger Seat
No restriction

Passenger Footrests
No restriction

Passenger Age Restrictions
None

Helmet Speakers
No restrictions

Mirror Left(L) Right(R)
No restrictions

Radar Detector
No restriction

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
From what I've seen and heard over the years, most states (probably all) first require that passengers can only be carried on motorcycles that are designed and equipped to carry a passenger - seat, foot-pegs or floorboards, handles or strap to hold on to, etc. Secondly, the passenger must be large enough to be able to place their feet on the pegs.
Also, while not necessarily passenger-specific, the laws uisually prohibit carrying anything in a manner that may interfere with the rider's ability to safely operate the vehicle. This includes carrying a passenger on the gas tank or seat in front of the operator.
Carrying a passenger that can't reach the pegs means that the passenger will be unable to maintain a firm seat should the bike make any sudden or quick moves (swerves, hard braking, etc). Even with a good grip on the rider, there is a good chance the passenger could slide off. It ain't worth the chance.
Don

·
Registered
857 Posts
Bill - where did you find that info?

jkrerol15 - I believe someone on this site has installed some pads on the passenger floorboards to extend them up so their spouse (I think) could reach them more easily. You might consider that if it its the "only" issue that is preventing your son from riding.

flint

·
Registered
30,277 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Bill,

Thanks for the link. It's great to have for touring.

Janine :)

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Janine,

Just be careful when using online 3rd party resources for legal infomation. Some of those pages aren't kept up to date. That's why I always suggest checking with the DMV to verify the information.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I already found one flaw on that site. It states that unless you are under 18, no eye protection is required. That is false. In the state of Indiana you must wear some type of eye protection at all times. Trust me, I have been pulled over for that very reason, and all I was doing was riding around town. You should check with the DMV for sure.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Let me alo point out that as laws change, the states often do little to make people aware of it. Even the officers that enforce the laws are not always informed. In Tennessee, they ammended the law about HOV (High Occupancy Vehicles) lanes allowing motorcycles with a single rider to use them. There were several cases of riders being pulled over for violating the law after it was changed. When I too the MSF course, they provided us a little yellow card with the exact wording in case we ever got pulled over for riding in the HOV lane.

·
Registered
63 Posts
flintbobbi said:
Bill - where did you find that info?

jkrerol15 - I believe someone on this site has installed some pads on the passenger floorboards to extend them up so their spouse (I think) could reach them more easily. You might consider that if it its the "only" issue that is preventing your son from riding.

flint

see my photogallery (link below) they rise about 4 inches

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
JD said:
I already found one flaw on that site. It states that unless you are under 18, no eye protection is required. That is false. In the state of Indiana you must wear some type of eye protection at all times. Trust me, I have been pulled over for that very reason, and all I was doing was riding around town. You should check with the DMV for sure.
It also said, in the California section, "Daytime Use of Headlight. required by law-modulating headlight permitted, required for vehicles manufactured during or after 1978."

Unless I am mistaken, modulating headlights aren't required for post-'78 bikes, but only lights that come on any time the bike is running.

For Washington they don't mention that the skills test is waived for MSF completions, nor that a seperate endorsement is required for trikes and sidecars.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just a couple of weeks ago, they are considering banning ANYONE under the age of 10 from riding as a passenger here in NC....

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Herfnerd said:
Just a couple of weeks ago, they are considering banning ANYONE under the age of 10 from riding as a passenger here in NC....
That's pretty strict, and going overboard in my opinion.

Here in Washington it's anyone under six.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts