Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still PO'd about this... I guess I should count myself as lucky..

I remember seeing a bike at night on the highway with a couple of small blue LED's pointing backwards... and how much those simple two lights make you take notice of this bike.

Well.. I found a really cool set of LEDS for my blue burgman 400. They have a cigarette lighter plug with an on/off switch... a couple of very thin wires that ran to each small light... They have a small rubber mount with an adhesive that I stuck near the yellow reflectors beside the glove box.. Wires were easy to hide... no cutting etc... and they were a beautiful bright blue.. VERY noticable... NOT flashing.. NOT blinding...just NOTICABLE...

Well..... the local sherrif stopped me and said.. " Why do you have those blue lights..?" So I told him how I felt they made me more noticable at night and I want to do anything I can to be more safe on a cycle... He said he also had a bike and understood my point BUT... only red light are permitted visible from the back and Yellow from the front. SO.. right then I was able to shut them off so no ticket.. I do believe he understood the dilemma but had to follow the law....

So.. I came home and put a set on that were RED. Yes the red LED is more visible too but BLUE can be seen a mile away.. Who is going to thing this is a emergency vehicle or Law enforcement vehicle? If they DO think it is.. WHY ARE THEY ON THE @#$%^& road in the first palce?? What IF they DO take notice and think it is emergency or Law enforcemnt? Cycles have MORE RIGHT to be visible than these other cars ( ok I'm stretching it now) but at least AS visible as emergency and law enforcement..

I think cycles should be permitted to have a single bright white strobe that is mounted on a fiberglass type " antenna" high above the SUVs and operated day and night.. I bet this would save lives and not put anyone in four wheeled box in more danger. GET RID OF THE D..... Cell phones if you want to increase safety.. ( Did you notice how I snuck up on this soap box?)

Ok.. thanks for the therapy session... I feel MUCH better.

Could all the cyclists in the USA ban together and change legislation to protect us and make cycling a safer form of transportation? It makes NO sense to me.... accidents often happen becaue the bike was NOT visible..SO.. make it more visible! I know I'm preaching to the choir.. It is just one of those things in life that is ridiculous and deadly...

I'll try to get a pic of the lights I'm talking about.. really cool, simple, cheap, and EFFECTIVE.... ( I better get down off this thing before I hurt myself..)

Tom

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Tom,

Since you've already invested in the blue LED lights, you may be able to use them as effect lights to increase the bikes visability as long as they arenot directly viewable ... like they do on cars having colored neon light under it. Check with your local DMV to see if that is legal.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Tom,
I agree with you, I guess the trouble is if you have 2 little lights, I want three bigger lights, and bob down the street wants multi color lights and so on.
I like Bill's idea, maybe up under the fender?

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Re: Laws forbiding "outstanding" colored lights on

leaderdog said:
Could all the cyclists in the USA ban together and change legislation to protect us and make cycling a safer form of transportation?
Yep, join the American Motorcyclists Association. Take a look at http://www.ama-cycle.org .
As far as your blue light problem, I can see a possible problem with them facing backwards. To some drivers, as they approach you from the rear at night, they could mistake the two blue lights in the distance as an automobile with the blue-tinted headlights heading at them. This could cause a problem.
I think it helps to add additional red lights on the rear. Most safety experts I've read about recommend they be mounted in a triangular pattern so they aren't mistaken for a car.
You might consider adding relective tape on the rear. A number of vendors have the really highly reflective tape (like used on new highway signs) and can be had in patterns to fit saddlebags, etc and even comes in pinstripes

Don

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Re: Laws forbiding "outstanding" colored lights on

leaderdog said:
Well..... the local sherrif stopped me and said.. " Why do you have those blue lights..?"
To which you say, "Well, these two tiny blue lights made YOU take notice of me, didn't they? It goes to show that they work very well as a safety feature, as intended."

Unfortunately, that would be an expensive arguement...

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I have a good friend that belongs to a local car club. He has an 04 Impala that has 20" rims, tv monitors, huge subwoofers, the whole bit. He also has neon underneath the car. Color? Green. Why? Because he was stopped for both red and blue. Local law enforcement told him that those colors were "reserved" for emergency vehicles only. So - I'd say just go with a different color. I am thinking of mounting some neon type lighting under the pie myself (probably green also).
Just my two bits.
Pete

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just have to laugh... it DID cross my mind to say " well it made YOU notice did'nt it??""... But in all honesty.. they guy was young and his partner was an old phart probably showing him the ropes with nothing better to do on a Saturday night. This young guy did everything but agree that they were effective.. so what's the point.. that's like licking a frozen pole to prove its cold.
:director: :glasses5:

These lights were almost like black lights.. I mean.. they were such a deep blue and such a pin point of color your eyes just naturally looked. From behind, you saw only tail lights and a couple of bright points of deep blue.. sort of like those cobalt glass inserts for tail lights they sell to make the bike stand out.. but x 10.
I just saw the Mill Spec vest and was seriously considering it. I'd rather look like the traffic controller in front of the emementry school than have people bending over my coffin telling each other how " good he looks".
I'm going to try to post a pic of these lights.. I have a blue, green and red set. The pic does the depth of blue color NO justice.. but you get an idea what Im talking about..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to plead ignorance.. I have the photo but don't know how to upload it so everyone can see... HELP!!! :banghead:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Here in Indiana, it is legal to put lights on a bike or a car, but illegal to use them unless you are parked. I guess I can understand why, some drivers are distracted by the lights. And we all know that most of the drivers out there today don't need any more distractions!! :wink:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just saw the Mill Spec vest and was seriously considering it. I'd rather look like the traffic controller in front of the emementry school than have people bending over my coffin telling each other how " good he looks".
Don't forget the line, "he died doing what he loved" too.

JD said,
Here in Indiana, it is legal to put lights on a bike or a car, but illegal to use them unless you are parked.
That would be kind of neat idea too. I know they always have the lighted bike shows at big rallys.

·
Registered
496 Posts
O.k. everyone what is wrong with Lime Green? Orange & Yellow to me will simply not do with Silver. I am open to Lime Green, Red. or purple. Has anyone bought any of these colors and what do you think?

Evelyn

P.S. This is reallllly important to me?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Evelyn said:
O.k. everyone what is wrong with Lime Green?
Evelyn, are you talking about vests or lights?

Here in Victoria, bicyclist ride all year round, as the weather is moderated by the ocean. 8) I have notice quite a few of them with lime green cycling jackets on and I have to say that they really stand out in traffic, maybe even more so than the florescent orange vests.

Not very good if you're trying to make a fashion statement, but nobody will be able to say they didn't see you! :shock:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just finished reading "More Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. In it he mentions lights that are most noticable. Believe it or not GREEN is more attentive geting than RED, but as he says "it's too late to get them to change brake lights to Green".

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
In parts of Ohio, the Road Departments have changed their orange vests to Lime Green because they found that the orange blended in too well with our State Flower.....the Orange Construction Barrel!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts