Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I reported my fathers house burnt in a wild fire in Eastern Washington state. I was told the house had burnt to the ground. My father died in 2008 and ever since his house had a Squatter living there.

The Squatter (Robert B) was my fathers new wife's son so we could not evict him. He was a Hordier and the house was filled with junk. I found out the house was still standing but the back had suffered fire damage to the roof and wall. For 1 1/2 years he has lived there with a huge 8 foot by 4 foot hole in the kitchen ceiling. How I found out the house was still there was it went to County Auction for back taxes.

The new owners that won contacted me to see if I could help the squatter. House sold on auction Dec 14th for $53,200 and the new owners had to give 90 days to evict. On Dec 15th the new owners went over to look at the house and was SHOCKED twice. The first shock was Robert B answered the door naked and very sick, could not breath well. The new owned suggested Robert B go to hospital and called for an ambulance. They took him and the next day he died Dec 16 of heart attack due to Fungal Pneumonia .

Shock two was the conditions INSIDE the house. I went over Dec 26 and spent three days with a cleaning team of three guys packing 36 gallion trash bags of JUNK and rotting food. I was sorting out my family's pictures and stuff. They filled over 100 bags of junk to fill eight loads of a 8X12 foot trailer with 5 foot side racks.

Three day in this filth in temperatures of 8F to -2F outside and 38-45 inside running 3 1500 watt heaters. I got home New Years Eve at 8 PM and was asleep before 11:00PM

Wood Gas Composite material Machine Plumbing fixture
Plumbing fixture Tap Shelf Gas House

Wood Picture frame Interior design Floor Flooring
Shipping box Textile Wood Packaging and labeling Packing materials

Brown Plumbing fixture Property Bathroom sink Sink
Table Tableware Textile Tablecloth Luggage and bags

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I have watched the show hoarders and always amazed how bad they let things become. I have an Uncle in Indiana who I consider a hoarder. He can not stop buying things and even goes online to a site where people give away things for free if you pick them up. He has money but will dumpster dive at Krogers. Crazy.

• Wow
Reactions: Dave_J

·
Administrator
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blimey Dave, what a mess - in every sense.
The smell of rotting fish and meat was stuck in my hair and shirt. Wearing a N95 mask WITH a bandana did not help, even Vicks Vapor Rub only helped some.

• Sad
Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
How would you ever get that smell out the house, even stripping it to the studs. Best thing might be for it to burn down. Wonder if the new owners thought it was a deal after seeing it.

·
Administrator
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How would you ever get that smell out the house, even stripping it to the studs. Best thing might be for it to burn down. Wonder if the new owners thought it was a deal after seeing it.
The new owners are both retired Boeing, He was a master electrician and she was HR. Can you say $$$$ without upsetting some?

The wife was over there on Day 3 and she was saying that they did over pay as they could only look from the outside. The property is worth $80-$120K and they were the winning bid at $53K.

This 740 Square foot house was built in 1948 for the D.O.E. and US Army Corp of Engineers workers working on the two Dam's on the Columbia River. While built with good 2x4 and such, Electric was free back then so just turn the thermostats up.

Winters are between 25F TO -25F and Summers are between 100F and 118F.
  • Needs new roof including plywood sheeting.
  • Needs all new sheetrock inside. May be Asbestos old sheetrock and mud
  • Needs 2/3 of all Ceder siding outside replaced.
  • Needs all cracked aluminum single pane windows replaced.
  • Needs two exterior doors.
  • Needs 6 inside doors replaced or repaired.
  • Needs new bathroom everything.
  • Needs new Kitchen everything.
  • Needs kitchen wall rebuilt.
  • Needs all flooring replaced on the concrete slab. Asbestos tiling on floor now.
  • Old ceiling had R11 blown in Rockwool with Asbestos. No insulation in walls or concrete floor.
  • No AC, just baseboard heating in all rooms but only 2 of the 8 are working. So all new heating/cooling.
Fixed up nicely, the house will fetch about $210K to $250K max. The town is about 75% Migrant workers, some houses have 2 familys living there. There are no jobs in town so commuting 15 to 65 miles for work each way. Only local non-skilled jobs are in the fruit orchards

·
Premium Member
4,291 Posts
740 sq ft …. they’d be better off starting from scratch with a new foundation.

·
Administrator
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Purell hand sanitizer on the basin is rather classic!!
I found 10 NEW bottles of that. I also found 100 N95 masks still sealed up and 100's of the blue Hospital type face masks. There ware 5 new bottles of 'Mr. Clean' sanitizing cleaner too.
While the three workers were bagging trash I found a hand held UV light for sanitizing stuff.....

Reactions: Kobus

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Can you say The Money Pit.
Plant Window Sky Wood Fixture

·
Premium Member
2,268 Posts
Wow hard to believe. ☹

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a similar experience a few years ago after my father died. Luckily he lived in an apartment and not a house so there was less total tonnage to remove, but he was also a heavy smoker. The smoke smell was overwhelming. He had piles and piles of junk mail and apparently never threw anything away. Whats worse is that important paperwork was mixed in with the junk Mail so we had to actually look through it all. That took just shy of a week, all while planning his funeral.

·
Premium Member
18,061 Posts
I did it for my mother and father. If you love your children, do a pre planned funeral, and get your important paperwork in a fireproof waterproof lockable box and let them know where the keys are, the boxes are not expensive, not large and very rugged, DO IT NOW before you think it's necessary! A will and a medical power of attorney are cheap enough, and all you need in us of a . It can/ will save hundreds or thousands of dollars and very possibly shorten the length of time to settle affairs from 2 years or more to only 6 months for a simple thing like a car title.
I will gladly answer questions by pm if anyone has them.

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
I did it for my mother and father. If you love your children, do a pre planned funeral, and get your important paperwork in a fireproof waterproof lockable box and let them know where the keys are, the boxes are not expensive, not large and very rugged, DO IT NOW before you think it's necessary! A will and a medical power of attorney are cheap enough, and all you need in us of a . It can/ will save hundreds or thousands of dollars and very possibly shorten the length of time to settle affairs from 2 years or more to only 6 months for a simple thing like a car title.
I will gladly answer questions by pm if anyone has them.
Absolutely.

I have a fireproof/waterproof box in the basement, with our passports, birth certs, marriage cert, the healthcare proxies, and a few other papers in there. I have the box locked, but just leave the key in the keyhole; if someone is going to burgle us, they could swipe the box anyway, and pry it open elsewhere (I know, not a perfect solution).

But I also have a list of all our assets, debts, a PDF copy of our trust (better than a will), a text list of all financial accounts (account numbers, corporate addresses, and so forth), etc., etc., in two password managers (with knowledge of the master passwords by our local daughter and by my brother).

Finally -- and this is also something that can save your heirs some hassle and time -- I have my obit written (with some fill-in-the-blanks, obviously), also stuffed as a text file in the pw managers. And a photo I'd like used for that, cropped to the aspect ratio used by our local newspaper.

My mother died six years ago (and my father long before that), and these are the things that would've come in handy.

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,132 Posts
Yeah, squatters tend to not be very good tenants. I have a small cabin in the middle of nowhere and the sheriff called to tell me the lock on my entry barrier had been shot off. They found a squatter who had only been in my cabin for a week or so but they arrested him for trespassing and damaging private property. I asked the sheriff what I could do with his crap he had left, bonfire... I had his vehicle towed and have no idea where it ended up, not my problem. I have little tolerance of people who do this regardless of their circumstance.

·
Administrator
22,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WSPOLLACK, in the stuff I salvaged were 3 new in the box SentrySafe fire boxes. EMPTY. $50 at Amazon.
Also recovered 15 new fishing pole combo units, 20 used fishing poles and 50 reels, 22 new in boxes.

2nd week in May our Homeowners Assio has a group yard sale. $2 per used pole, $3 for a used reel, $5 for a new Stereo unit. "Dave says SELL IT"

I also recovered a 2.1 ounce gold nugget that has a little quartz imbedded in it. Maybe 1.8 Oz gold ($3,000) but it is worth more as a whole for jewelry to hang off a gold chain. This 1 item may pay for my time and expenses. I was with my dad when we found it on a river in Idaho. We found a few smaller gold nuggets but dad cashed them out long ago.

·
Premium Member
18,061 Posts
That nugget has a little quartz and a lotta memories init, invaluable and irreplaceable!!!

·
Premium Member
9,868 Posts
WSPOLLACK, in the stuff I salvaged were 3 new in the box SentrySafe fire boxes. EMPTY. $50 at Amazon.
Also recovered 15 new fishing pole combo units, 20 used fishing poles and 50 reels, 22 new in boxes.

2nd week in May our Homeowners Assio has a group yard sale. $2 per used pole, $3 for a used reel, $5 for a new Stereo unit. "Dave says SELL IT"

I also recovered a 2.1 ounce gold nugget that has a little quartz imbedded in it. Maybe 1.8 Oz gold ($3,000) but it is worth more as a whole for jewelry to hang off a gold chain. This 1 item may pay for my time and expenses. I was with my dad when we found it on a river in Idaho. We found a few smaller gold nuggets but dad cashed them out long ago.
Excellent recompense for your cleaning work.

Funny about the safes. Took some pics today, because @mikeyMarine chastised me in a PM, regarding my leaving the key in the keyhole (see other thread, about obits and such), lest it get bent off inside the lock. You can see that one key is already bent -- probably bumped something heavy against it, sometime -- but thankfully it isn't broken off anywhere:

Table Electronic instrument Cookware and bakeware Wood Home appliance

Office equipment Rectangle Wood Gas Audio equipment

1 - 20 of 23 Posts