Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased new 10 maxiscooters since 1990 and now have near 300,000 miles with them----my prime interest has been motorcycles with over 1.2 million miles on them and some Vespa miles thrown in. PRIME PROBLEM with the Maxiscooters is the poor windshield design and the result---BUFFETING!!. makes long rides MISERABLE!!. Design problem is your nose is too far from tip of shield----feels good to the guy in showroom who knows nothing---buys bike and nearly has his head blown off at 75-80mph. So....Burgman 400 has this design fault, it and the TMAX are in my experience the worst in stock form, period.

So latest test/experiement: my 2011 left over 400, 7Jurock windshield at stock height, good look over...I do not look thru, period. ADD: Laminar Lip...my 5th or 6th I bought for various bikes, trying to get still air around my head. My Base Line in comfort or what I seek----Heinrich equipped (upper & lower) BMW, which provided all day comfort in half or 3/4 open face helmet with safety/sun glasses- OR my NT700V Honda, left alone and at 60-70mph.

FINDINGS: still air, no side wind probably 10-30% reduction in noise over bare 7Jurock, 80% or more over junk stock shield. Note: I have tried stock shield with Lip....and was waste of money.
But in Cross winds, not so great----face too far from windshield-----try placing your face/head close to windshield tip to feel what properly designed sytem feels like So ride in no crosswinds and this combo works fair to pretty good. I bolt Lip to shield. To retain look over Lip rises no higher than top of windshield----I do not use lip as windshield extension, just as a changer of air movement.

MY TEST: Local pretty much useless in forming opinion of how this combo really works-----2100 mile round trip to KEY WEST from Chattanooga--5 days, horrible weather, temps 25-80F, 4 days of pretty strong cross winds---gave better idea of what really goes on-----59.4 mpg off meter, so no extra drag. Note my Burgman gets better mileage run hard than being babied. WalMart 10-40 oil, reg gas. So real conclusion works ok in still air, not so good in 25 degree F.

Next new bike/scooter I buy I hope can be turnkey----for info for the 2 Burgman 400's I have had=3 GIVI adjustable windshields, one GIVI high windshield later cut down to see over, the 7Jurock, hand guards, etc, etc=lots of money wasted when the scooter out of the box should have been rideable and comfortable.

LAST: still morning air, Fulmer 755 3/4 helmet, their short face shield (still long), up tp 70 mph,EARPLUGS=pretty nice!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Have you tried an xscreen I have had no problems with this fitted to my scooter, solved my buffeting and noise problem just requires adjusting to individual preferences and your size.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
John,

I had to read your post several times to get what you were actually trying to say.

john grinsel said:
I have purchased new 10 maxiscooters since 1990 and now have near 300,000 miles with them----my prime interest has been motorcycles with over 1.2 million miles on them.....................clipped..................
My first thought was " wow, it that's a really specialized and unusual interest. They must be difficult to find. There can't be many bikes with over 1.2 million miles on them available!"

john grinsel said:
.................................... PRIME PROBLEM with the Maxiscooters is the poor windshield design and the result---BUFFETING!!. makes long rides MISERABLE!!. Design problem is your nose is too far from tip of shield
First thought here....."Hmmm, who designed your nose to have it so far away?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have purchased over 75 new bikes and scooters since 1955 to acquire the miles----however Wis State Senator did over a million on his HD Big Twin---it sits in museum somewhere now. Dave is missing a leg thanks to a southern. driver and has a 3 wheeler now. I get rid of bikes usually before 50,000 miles. I have no interest riding one a million miles....nor will I live that long

As to scooter design....they are just wrong......nose and eyes need to be 8-12" max from tip of shield for real comfort. A Vespa with proper look over windshield puts nose at 8-12"....and such scooters as Heinkel, NSU with IDEAL shield did this a long time ago. Designers/Industry people/People who sell and work in bike shops don't ride (look in their parking loot...full of pick ups. People who have owned stuff that works right know.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Fatjock said:
John,

I had to read your post several times to get what you were actually trying to say.

john grinsel said:
I have purchased new 10 maxiscooters since 1990 and now have near 300,000 miles with them----my prime interest has been motorcycles with over 1.2 million miles on them.....................clipped..................
My first thought was " wow, it that's a really specialized and unusual interest. They must be difficult to find. There can't be many bikes with over 1.2 million miles on them available!"

[quote="john grinsel":1y2s5zlx].................................... PRIME PROBLEM with the Maxiscooters is the poor windshield design and the result---BUFFETING!!. makes long rides MISERABLE!!. Design problem is your nose is too far from tip of shield
First thought here....."Hmmm, who designed your nose to have it so far away?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote:1y2s5zlx]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA........ +1..no! +10 :lol: :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts