Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I should be the proud owner of a 400 Burger soon. A few questions though.

1) I noticed on my test ride that the backrest is not the most comfortable thing in the world. I had it all the way back. I am a big guy, 5'11" 200 lbs. Does the seat 'break-in'? Can it or should it be removed? What options do I have?

2) The windshield seemed pretty good, but I only got it up to about 50 mph. How advisable is it to get a new windshield, is the Givi the way to go, which one, and how hard is it to install?

3) I had my girlfriend sit on the bike in the showroom. The seat seemed well padded, but we noticed a few things. The seat is sloped and slides her down towards me. This made the backrest seem useless. Can the backrest be padded more, or somehow made larger?

4) Because of the stepped seat, we are afraid that my g/f will be knocked about by wind. What has your experience been? Does the rider have a good ride, or do they have to hold on tight and wait until the ride is done?

I would appreciate any feedback. This is a great site and forum. I am sure I will be using it frequently! ZD

·
Super Moderator
8,064 Posts
seat mods

I agree, the seat on the 400 does have a sloping foward problem. When I owned the 400, I did modify the backrest and sculpted the seat for the passinger. Other people as well as me, have taken the backrest off, or modifying it to accomodate a 6' 2" rider. I cut the bottom portion off the backrest and raised it, it gained me about 2" of legroom. There are many other options to address this, Check out the forum to see other solutions.
Welcom on board.

Jim

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Zendan:

Like you, I'm about to pick up my new Burg 400 ... so I'm not speaking from personal experience yet. However, a BUNCH of people at this site have recommended a bigger windscreen to help the taller driver as well as the passenger be comfortable at speed. I plan to invest in one myself, since all these experienced riders can't be wrong.

Jim is right -- browse the site & you'll see plenty of helpful info about modifying the seat & backrests. Just drill down thru all the subtopics; there's plenty of good stuff.

What color'd you pick?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think that a new windscreen may be in order as well. I am just nervous about 'modifying' my bike. Plus the little one that is on now is sharp looking. But function before form.

I will have to look more to find the advise about the seat. Thanks.

And I am getting the blue one. It was a left over, but I really like the color. Plus it is almost the same shade as my car, so they match. LOL!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The drivers backrest can be removed easily with just a couple of screws. This will give you more leg room.
If considering a windscreen replacement it is easily done and the 2 leaders in replacement seem to be Givi and Clearview.
I'm sorry I can't offer any advice in regards to the passenger backrest dilema.However you won't need to worry about your passenger requiring a death grip. My lady passenger told me that the ride back there is so comfy and relaxed that I should worry more about her falling asleep. I have installed the OEM backrest over the winter, but have yet to test its abilities.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Zendan, take a look at the category "Aftermarket and Accessories." There are just loads of helpful hints there.

Also, see the thread "Burgman 400 --> Driver backrest removal." Here, I'll try to paste the link for your convenience:
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=481

I've read some of your other posts ... I envy you that you got to drive your new Burg at all before buying. Until just a few days ago, we had so much ice on the roads in my part of the world that the dealer I dealt with wasn't letting anyone take ANYTHING out for a test. So I bought mine "blind." Driving it 30 miles home next month should be fun ... especially since my entire scooter experience has been on a Honda Elite 80! <gulp> :shock:

Any guesses how the Burg 400 will compare to your Helix?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the heads up. That was very helpful! I didn't think that I was the only one to have that concern.

I was VERY lucky to test ride the Burger! We got snow here today, so I have not been able to take it out again. I am itching too!! :D

I thought going from a 250cc to a 400cc would be a nice step, but from an 80 to a 400cc :shock: ! You won't know what hit you! LOL! I got on my Helix right after riding the Burger, and boy there is indeed a difference. The Burger is heavier but peppier. It is taller and more sturdy. I got real use to the amazing balance the Helix has and I am curiuos to see how the Burger compares.

Well all I need now is for my title to come back (recently divorced...title change) and I should be all set. This weekend is supposed to be half decent so I am going to try and take my baby for a test spin again! :lol:

Tahnks again all for the advise...keep it coming!!!! Happy riding!

·
Registered
857 Posts
windshield

Hey Zendan - I am a loud proponent of a larger windshield. I'm 6"2" - long torso. The XL Clearview windshield has made the riding experience 100% better. Tonight it is 78 degrees (8 pm) here in Phoenix, and I rode the Burger with a half helmet - the first time i've done so. Now usually the wind is terrible on my face, I tear up in the eyes and my sight gets blurry, at any speed above 35. The noise is loud and the "push" on my head is uncomfortable.

With the larger shield (the Givi is great as well from what i've heard), I have almost now wind on my face. Just a little bit now and then when I pass a semi. No push on my face, and it's quiet as a mouse. I can actually hear a lot more of the sounds around me. I absolutely love that.

I'm not encouraging half helmets, but to be able to use one without worry is a wonderful experience for once. Check out, if interested, the post at:
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic. ... =clearview

It is a photo of the original shield with the XL clearview next to it.

Take care, and safe riding.

Flint

·
Registered
308 Posts
flintbobbi - thanks for sharing your comments and pics. Do you have a side-view or diagonal angle picture by any chance? If you do, e-mail them to me and I can host/post them up for you here.

·
Registered
857 Posts
extra shots

I don't have any other photos other than those you see on the link...but I can take some more shots of the Clearview as it is on the bike - not sitting on the floor next to the original shield. Is that what you'd like? The original shield is packed away in storage or i'd be able to do a side view and diagonal shot with it as a comparison next to the clearview.

Let me know. I can take plenty of more photos. Just let me know. I think I tried to take a side shot with them to show the angle difference but the shot didn't turn out well. My camera does not have a manual focus, so I think it has trouble focusing on such a small item (the shield from a side shot).

Flint

·
Registered
308 Posts
flintbobbi -- just the sideview and/or any diagonal angle pics would be great! You can PM me and I will post them up for you so that others can see too ... thanks! :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks flintbobbi. It sounds like the new windshield is a good investment. I went to Clearview's website. I didn't see a shield for the 400. DO you have to order it custom, or I am just missing it. Anapproximantly, what did you pay for it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am picking up my Burgman 400 this Saturday. I notice that you "tall" guys are always talking about installing a larger windshield. Well, I am 5'7" and my wife is 5'5". At these heights, are the factory installed windshields suficient? Please advise.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm 5'5" and inseam challenged and I found that the stock windshield was, in fact, not sufficient even for my size. There was tremendous noise and wind buffetting even at 80 Km/hr. I've ordered the Clearview XL and I suspect I will probably be looking through it rather than over it but if it quiets things down it will be a usefull tradeoff. A little RainX will solve that problem anyway. I will keep you posted.
H.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought it from one of the people here on the group. He went to an even larger one!! It cost me $75.00 US plus shipping. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I will post an opinion in about a week once it comes and I've had some time to try it.
H.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am confused. :?: I contacted Clearview, and they said that they do not yet have a shield for the 400. I even posted the reply here in another thread (I think). How do you find one Harold? :dontknow:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts