Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went on a 190 mile ride today up through the Indian reservations in northern Nebraska. Outside temp never got out of the 30's. Weather forecast this morning said mid 40's, but they were wrong. Got colder as I went north too.

Had my electric gear cranked up fairly high, but not maxed out. I was OK except for my toes, which were starting to hurt by the time I was leaving the reservation area. Crossed over into Iowa at Onowa, and stopped at a greasy spoon restaurant. Had a hot bowl of obviously homemade ham and bean soup and a hamburger - good stuff. Toes thawed out while I was eating. Got on I-29 south and held the throttle at 80 mph (except for a couple of 90+ mph truck passes - I don't hang alongside those big boys). Made it back home in record time.

It snowed in western Nebraska today. Won't be much longer before we get some here. I love stealing a long ride from under old man Winter's nose, but I'm thinking today may have been the last one. Hopefully I'll get a few more shorter rides in. The rear Pirelli is starting to show some serious wear now. Doesn't owe me anything though - it has already gone 3000 miles over what I got out of the OEM Bridgestone. I'll take a closer look tomorrow and decide whether to put the new one on. Otherwise, the scooter ran great today - and not even one single bug splat to clean off when I got home!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you Pauljo. It's suppose to clear up this afternoon and then rain all next week with snow forecast for the end of the week. Theres less than 2 litres of fuel in the tank so I think I will take a couple of spins around the neighbour hood and then let the Burg run dry before I bring it inside for the winter. It's going to be a sad afternoon. I can't complain as I got 19000 kms on the machine this season , 20,000kms in total on the scooter , all on the OEM tires. They're definetely used up. I will take photos of the tires and post them once I get it inside.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vfdcaptain said:
Hi Paul,

What route did you take up to Onawa. On my map I can I29 coming down. Need input. :)
I rode Nebraska 75 north. It is a rural 2 lane, posted 60 mph, there are several small towns where speed limit drops for just a short distance. It runs up to Sioux City, South Dakota - I'm not sure if it goes further north. It goes south at least into Kansas. Passing through Omaha, it becomes a limited access freeway.

There is a toll bridge over the Missouri river between Decatur, NE and Onawa, IA. That is how I crossed over to take I-29 south for the return trip. Steel grate bridge, 75 cents toll. I-29 is the faster route of course (but boring). I was going an indicated 80 mph and still occassionally getting passed by cars. :shock: Posted speed limit is 65 mph. I turned off onto I-680 to take the Mormon Bridge over the river into north Omaha.

I live about 5 minutes from the Iowa border (via the Mormon Bridge), so I'll often ride north in one State and south in the other. There are more scenic recreational roads on the Iowa side, but they wind around a lot, consuming a lot more time than taking I-29. I only take I-29 when I've already had my fun and just want to get home fast.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
allwalk said:
Theres less than 2 litres of fuel in the tank so I think I will take a couple of spins around the neighbour hood and then let the Burg run dry before I bring it inside for the winter.
Perhaps you have to store it in an area where you don't want gasoline? I always store my bikes just the opposite - with a full tank of gas. I add Sta-Bil so that the gas won't go bad. If we catch a couple of mild weeks mid-Winter, they are ready to go for a ride. The longest they'd have to sit is 3 months - but I usually do get a ride or two in during that period. Last year was bad for snow here. They sat for 2 months. Had a thaw at the end of January and got 2 rides. Then they sat for another month.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I've always used the same method as Paul. The reasoning is to keep the tank as full as possible during storage to keep any moisture from entering the fuel tank (prevent rust) or fuel system. Adding the fuel stabillizer prevents the gas from gumming up the fuel system and keeps the gas fresh over a long storage period. Just run the engine for a short period after you add the Sta-Bil to get the treated gas in the fuel system.
I've used this method for years with my mowers and snowblower and never had a problem starting the engines at the beginning of the next season.
Don

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
If i was storing the bike in the garage I would definetely do as you both. Full tank with stabil. However my bike enjoys a nice heated environment during the winter months inside the house :D Thats why I like the tank dry. If you see the first picture in my gallery of the flames on my burger you will notice it's in the living room.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is December 4th - currently 37 degrees in Omaha and clear. It should hit 50 degrees here today. Most of the snow has melted - the roads are dry. I adjusted the air pressure in my tires yesterday. I am going for a ride! Probably not a really long ride - but enough to get my grin back... :wink:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Good for you Paul. I hope you have a fun and safe ride.

Just leaning into a few curves should clear the mind, and fill it with a moto-smile.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had a great 72 mile ride! Some sand at a few of the sharp curves and intersections on the back country roads, but just went slow through those spots. The 650 ran beautifully - it seemed happy to get out of the garage!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well I met up with Roger yesterday down here in Port St. Lucie FL, we met each others families and went for a 50 mile ride along the beaches. As late afternoon was approaching the temp was dropping to the mid 60's, Roger and I were both riding in short sleeves when at a traffic light 4 Harley riders in various stages of dress asked "aren't you guys cold?" We smiled and said no are you? They were shivering, poor guys.

We all rode together for another 5 miles and I can see they were impressed with our Burgman 650's. I wonder if we got them thinking "scooters can be cool". :lol:

We plan on another ride today (Roger & I). Temps will not get much higher than 80* F sure is cold here in December. :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
Well, it's hovering around the 45 degree mark on the intersting roads in the mountains here in the daytime here now, and going down to about 30 or so at night. I've got full GoreTex lined boots, overtrousers, jacket, full face mask, inner jacket, as wel as other heat generating clothing, etc.
I'm looking forward to January when I can camp at 15 degrees at night, ride about at 20 degrees in the mornings, and feel positively hot but the afternoon when it will reach the peak of 30 degrees.

It's oddly warm at 60 degrees here in Tokyo now, and doesn't fall below 45 degrees at night.

Winter has come about a month later than normal this year. Bring it on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
lycheed said:
Well, it's hovering around the 45 degree mark on the intersting roads in the mountains here in the daytime here now, and going down to about 30 or so at night. I've got full GoreTex lined boots, overtrousers, jacket, full face mask, inner jacket, as wel as other heat generating clothing, etc.
I'm looking forward to January when I can camp at 15 degrees at night, ride about at 20 degrees in the mornings, and feel positively hot but the afternoon when it will reach the peak of 30 degrees.

It's oddly warm at 60 degrees here in Tokyo now, and doesn't fall below 45 degrees at night.

Winter has come about a month later than normal this year. Bring it on.
Yeah bring it on! Just got out of the pool, dripping all over the place after my nightly swim. Water temp 75*F air temp now 74*F bbbrrr. :shock:

Btw, Roger is on his way back to NJ, tough drive pulling a trailer in rough weather along the way. I hope he listened this time not to cover his scooter while trailering. :?

·
Registered
719 Posts
lycheed said:
I'm looking forward to January when I can camp at 15 degrees at night, ride about at 20 degrees in the mornings, ...Bring it on.
I can't imagine going camping in that temperature. Are you by yourself, or is there another hearty soul along? It must feel like being at the end of the earth.

As for riding in weather that cold, I can't imagine that either. I'll take my scooter out when it's just above freezing (34-35), but not below. I have concerns about being on ice on two wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
allwalk said:
However my bike enjoys a nice heated environment during the winter months inside the house :D Thats why I like the tank dry. If you see the first picture in my gallery of the flames on my burger you will notice it's in the living room.
Allan, you gotta be single!

I can just hear my wife's reaction to that idea!
She'd have me fitted for a lacy sleeved garment just for sugggesting it. :wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts