Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - it is braking and not breaking I assure you. :)

When I gave my first impression report one of the features or differences to the Svelte that I commented on was the engine braking - which was much more pronounced on the Lardy. Well I adjusted my riding style and really liked the effect of rarely having to use my brakes - particularly if I was being particularly good at planning and reading the traffic really well.

The Lardy had the 600 mile service at the Suzy dealer a couple of weeks back and they are lucky enough to have a Lardy 'expert' there - on handing the bike over to me on completion of the service he commented that it was idling at the lower end of tolerance when warm and he had 'adjusted it up a wee bit'.

On the ride back home (20 miles) the engine breaking was no way as pronounced and I rather felt as though I had lost an old friend. In the drive at homw, I noted the idle at around 1200rpm. But for the life of me I couldn't vouch what the idle speed actually was before the service.

Anyways - thought I would mention this and share experiences and develop a chit chat about this.

So is the conclusion:

a. If you no likey engine braking = wind up idle speed setting.

b. You muchy likey engine braking = wind down idle speed setting.

OR

c. This is all irrelevant.

:)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I vote for "C" :D
But that's because you did not have a "D" none of the above.

There are a lot of riders out there that are so "tuned out" to there bike they could almost go down the road with a flat and not know it..
Apparently you Norman, ( I am happy to say) are not one of them. :)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
After my 600 miler - i did notice that they lowered my idle a touch. but now, i like it. the engine braking is a vgood thing and lets me do some "visual mathematics" while decellerating toward a bumper/stop line in my passage. I have to cue up behind about 20 (or 40) cars every morning while getting on base, and have found that i can come to allllllmost a complete stand still without having to "dob." Poor clutch grabbers! :D I KNOW that the ppl behind me are like saying..."is that prsn gonna put their foot down!?" :)

it's rev counter usually (when warm) stays around a grand but sometimes it registers the first "tick" past that (1100?) - it depends on the moon, stars, barometric pressure etc :wink: .

however, when cold, it does idle fast, and it will, with the slightest "push-off," roll forward under it's own belt clamped cold rpm. when cold and running, forget trying to back her up with my feet. i just spool her out to the driveway via me big arse zappatos, get her pointed in the right direction, set the parking brake, start her, wait for about 15 seconds, adjust my specticles testicles wallet and watch - and then roll away with minimal enginge braking for the first 1/2 mile...

no se' amigo...no se'.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The dealer always lowers my idle speed to 1000 rpm during service. I always set it back up to 1100 rpm. The manual states that it should be 1000 rpm to 1200 rpm. I am not sure why they do that, but they consistently did the same thing with my V-Strom too. I suppose you'd get a bit better mileage with the lower setting if you spend a lot of time idling, but I prefer the "feel" of 1100 rpm setting.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I hated the engine braking at first... that's not what any motorcycle I've been on ever did. But then, its not a motorcycle, really. After putting on 8,000 miles since originally purchasing the bike, I really don't even think about it anymore. I've compensated and now everything is smooth.

However, the main thing to watch out for are vehicles behind you! I've learned to always use the rear brake, even if only lightly, just to alert others that I'm slowing down... even if its only the engine braking that's slowing me down.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yeah, the few times that I have been out on ol' Blue, the people behind me get right up on my ARSE.... and that is with me using my breaks to slow down for curves too. Was getting me nervous so I put my hand out and down and waved one to get back more. He did thankfully.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
captainfish said:
Yeah, the few times that I have been out on ol' Blue, the people behind me get right up on my ARSE.... and that is with me using my breaks to slow down for curves too. Was getting me nervous so I put my hand out and down and waved one to get back more. He did thankfully.
I have done that a few times - it is suprisingly effective! :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
On start-up about 1200 - 1300 rpm
When warm about 1000 - 1100 rpm

I like it that way.......I always wait until the bike (notice I said bike)
is warm before moving off....

I will never ever ever ever have to worry about the brakes...

My BIKE requires the brakes ONLY during the last few feet before coming
to a stop if I HAVE PLANNED MY STOP will enough in advance...

During the last 20 feet (7 meters) the bike free wheels (this cuts in
at about 13 or 14 KPH

AND I rarely have to put my feet down. I travel a lot of side streets
and roads (very little traffic) so the stops and very slow (1 - 5 KPH
rolling stops --- Just like the other traffic - nobody really stops unless at
a red light - and many drivers making right turns don't even stop then)..

I like to put both feet down at the same time to ensure a good balanced
stop....

When my bike goes into the shop (probably next week for the BIG 1000 Km checkup)
I will suggest to them that they do not adjust the idle - BUT it is easily corrected later on anyway.

I just worry that the 1000 Km check-up is farce. I spoke to the service
manager the other day, enquiring about the cost of the inspection and he said
OH that's a big job - the engine has to be torn down to FIDDDLE with the valves.
I said, According the to manual that doesn't have to be done
for many 1000's more kms - I just forget what the manual said (12000,
16000 or 24000 ????)

I wonder if they will even change the oil?????

I will know because I have put my secret mark on the filter - so if
the mark is gone and the filter is clean I know they will have changed the oil.
BUT how do I know if the tranny and rear end have been done???
I guess you gotta trust them :twisted:

Gone
BUMP

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
To make sure they do the other oils just put a dab of paint on the bolt edge where it meets the mating surface. If they undo the bolt the paint seal will be broken and you will know. If the paint seal is not broken I would be having words with the dealer.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Bump said:
...I spoke to the service manager the other day, enquiring about the cost of the inspection and he said OH that's a big job - the engine has to be torn down to FIDDDLE with the valves. I said, According the to manual that doesn't have to be done
for many 1000's more kms - I just forget what the manual said (12000,
16000 or 24000 ????)...
A lot of dealers were given bad software by Suzuki, that included 400 intervals on the 650 pages.

Make sure your dealer goes by his paper copy of the Service Manual recommended service items. You are correct that on the 650s the valves don't have to be touched until 14,500 miles / 24,000 kilometres.

My dealer charged me for a valve job, but cut me a refund check when I discovered the error.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Want more engine braking? Stab that POWER button! I love(d) it!

Steve

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Power mode. Yes - more engine braking and more... everything.

I was "playing" with a rider on a Triumph Tiger motorcycle today. Just dicing back and forth without getting too crazy (city streets). Gave him the view of my tail lights several times accelerating from stop lights. Then at one light we both flipped our helmet visors up. Two old dudes (um... mature gentlemen) grinning at each other. I asked him how he liked the Tiger. He said "fine, I've ridden it to Alaska twice and I'll be riding it to South America next". :shock: I gave him a thumbs up, and we went our separate ways at the next intersection.

But for the 5 miles or so that we were playing, I never took the Burgman out of Power Mode. It felt so cool - and the Remus pipe was singing nicely. Big grins. Hmmm... I wonder if I should even bother calculating my mileage at the next fill up. :?

·
Registered
822 Posts
pauljo said:
But for the 5 miles or so that we were playing, I never took the Burgman out of Power Mode. It felt so cool - and the Remus pipe was singing nicely. :?
How do you like the Remus pipe? Is it loud or comfortable? Do you know how it compares to the Leo Vince pipe?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
chuck807 said:
How do you like the Remus pipe? Is it loud or comfortable? Do you know how it compares to the Leo Vince pipe?
I love the Remus pipe. The sound level can be tailored. With full baffle it isn't much louder than stock. With baffle removed, it is very loud - too loud for me. I modified my baffle and have a sound level that is quite nice, sporty, but not obtrusive. I would love to hear a Burgman running the Leo Vince pipe, but have not as yet.

·
Registered
822 Posts
pauljo said:
chuck807 said:
I love the Remus pipe. The sound level can be tailored. With full baffle it isn't much louder than stock. With baffle removed, it is very loud - too loud for me. I modified my baffle and have a sound level that is quite nice, sporty, but not obtrusive. I would love to hear a Burgman running the Leo Vince pipe, but have not as yet.
I'll have to let you know. I'm designing & building a website for my motorcycle mechanic friend. In return he's getting me a Leo Vince pipe (installed!).

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
This raises a question in my mind, do these aftermarket exhaust parts do anything for power or economy, or is all about the sound tailoring for the owner's ear? Or a little from column 'a' and a little from column 'b'?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Wyldman said:
This raises a question in my mind, do these aftermarket exhaust parts do anything for power or economy, or is all about the sound tailoring for the owner's ear? Or a little from column 'a' and a little from column 'b'?
From my understanding, it gives you wee bit more power (I'm not sure if it'll be a noticeable difference), a little bit more efficiency (economy), and a little bit more noise (albeit it won't sound like a Harley).

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The Remus cannisters gave my V-Strom 1000 about ten percent more power (I had it dyno'd). When I put the Remus can on the AN650, I did not bother to have it dyno'd. Seat of the pants, Chuck is about right, a wee bit more power. In either case, I did not notice any change in fuel efficiency. I did not modify the FI mapping on either bike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts