Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added a Laminar Lip to their stock screen ??

I ask because so many have commented on the stock screen being kind of flimsy .
I notice mine bounces around a bit at times and wonder if a Laminar Lip might help fix that.

Thanks, Doug

·
Registered
368 Posts
The Laminar Lip (LL) does help some with the stock screen's fluttering and lowish height. So I bought a LL but still wasn't satisfied.

I ended up replacing the stock screen with a Cee Bailey screen which works great.

My LL is sitting in a box in the garage and unfortunately, it doesn't fit at all on my Kymco People S250 which has a pathetically short screen.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping to get away without an expensive windscreen replacement. I had a LL on my Wee Strom and it helped there a lot.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I have a Laminar Lip on a standard screen and it improves the situation a helluva lot for me (6 feet 1 inch).
Mind you on my old Lardy I had an LL mounted on a GIvi and that was even better - I am just too tight to spring for another Givi. :lol:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have one on mine it's one for the V-strom 650 works better on the Burgman than it did on the Strom,
the standard screen does flap about a bit but as been ok over 10,000 miles with it on.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ralph M said:
I have one on mine it's one for the V-strom 650 works better on the Burgman than it did on the Strom,
the standard screen does flap about a bit but as been ok over 10,000 miles with it on.
Any chance you have a picture of your bike with the LL mounted ??

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have also had a LL on my 650 (not the Exec model) for the last three years with no problems. For me it didn't make a lot of difference. I tried several positions for mounting it before settling on about level with the top of the standard screen. In hindsight I would have probably been better with a Givi (Clearview not available here in Aus) but I most likely would have had to cut it down a little to see over it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Don't show it to well it sits about 1 1/2 inch above the standard screen makes a definite difference can
take better pics if it stops raining if needed.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a laminar lip mounted to my 400 K7 stock screen.
Not much improvement in wind problems.
Think the best way to eliminate wind problem will be to install givi af266 wind screen.
This will be a spring project.
Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I have a laminar lip on my 650 Exec, and I'm happy with it.

Screen still moves about, but before I wasn't able to find a "sweet spot" to get the airflow to my liking, screen was always too low. That's no longer an issue. Saved me having to replace the original.

I have a GIvi screen on my 400s, and I find that too tall, I'm looking through the top edge of the screen. Fine when all is clear and dry, not so much fun with moisture on it. When I can be bothered, I'll cut it down by about 1.5", but I've ridden that way for two years now, so who knows when I'll get it done!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fatjock said:
I have a laminar lip on my 650 Exec, and I'm happy with it.

Screen still moves about, but before I wasn't able to find a "sweet spot" to get the airflow to my liking, screen was always too low. That's no longer an issue. Saved me having to replace the original.

I have a GIvi screen on my 400s, and I find that too tall, I'm looking through the top edge of the screen. Fine when all is clear and dry, not so much fun with moisture on it. When I can be bothered, I'll cut it down by about 1.5", but I've ridden that way for two years now, so who knows when I'll get it done!
On your 650 , did you mount the LL at the same height as the stock screen ?
Is your LL one of the type that used industrial strength hook & loop , or did you have to drill holes in the stock screen to mount it ?

I read over in the Scooter section of the BMWMOA site that LL has made a product for their scooters, but one guy said his flew off within a couple of miles.
The LL I had on my Wee Strom was mounted with the industrial strength hook & loop stuff , it never came loose.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
DandyDoug said:
Is your LL one of the type that used industrial strength hook & loop , or did you have to drill holes in the stock screen to mount it ?

I read over in the Scooter section of the BMWMOA site that LL has made a product for their scooters, but one guy said his flew off within a couple of miles.
The LL I had on my Wee Strom was mounted with the industrial strength hook & loop stuff , it never came loose.
I"ve mounted mine to have the upper edge to be about 2" above the height of the stock screen. Unfortunately I brought hte 400 into work today, or I could have got you a pic, but I can do that when I get home this evening if your interested. In all honesty, I could have mounted it lower, but hindsight is always 20-20.

Mine is mounted with the industrial hook & loop. While I've never have (and probably never will) had it up into three figure speeds, I have speeds where the first figure is higher than seven, with no ill effects whatsoever. Admittedly, I've only done about 500miles with it on so far, but I don't anticipate any issues. I've had it off for cleaning, and re-mounted, with no problems.

I can imagine that if you do not mount it correctly (i.e. don't adequately clean the mounting surface prior, and don't provide sufficient pressure for long enough when mounting), that it could come loose, but do it right, and it's secure.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fatjock said:
DandyDoug said:

I"ve mounted mine to have the upper edge to be about 2" above the height of the stock screen. Unfortunately I brought hte 400 into work today, or I could have got you a pic, but I can do that when I get home this evening if your interested. In all honesty, I could have mounted it lower, but hindsight is always 20-20.

Mine is mounted with the industrial hook & loop. While I've never have (and probably never will) had it up into three figure speeds, I have speeds where the first figure is higher than seven, with no ill effects whatsoever. Admittedly, I've only done about 500miles with it on so far, but I don't anticipate any issues. I've had it off for cleaning, and re-mounted, with no problems.

A picture of how you have yours set would be helpful :thumbup:
Thanks, Doug
I can imagine that if you do not mount it correctly (i.e. don't adequately clean the mounting surface prior, and don't provide sufficient pressure for long enough when mounting), that it could come loose, but do it right, and it's secure.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I'll get that done this evening. :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I have been using the 3M hook and loop thingamajigs for around 7 years without problem.

As always preparation is everything and an alcohol wipe to ensure no grease prior to sticking the wee boogers on pays dividends.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The LL I had on my Wee Strom was attached with them, man what a pain to get the lip off so I could clean under it.
First time i had ever seen hook & loop that strong.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
As promised, here's a couple of pics of mine.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts