Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Just a quick update -- in my quest to transform my 400 into the perfect touring machine, I've just purchased a Laminar Lip for my 400. Applied the little velcro dots to the windscreen last night, am letting them "cure" to their fullest adhesion before I place the lip on. Am planning a long ride tomorrow morning, will post more afterward of how it works for me.

I'm 5' 9" with a 30" inseam. Get wind noise, turbulence, and buffetting if I sit upright but if I crouch down about 6" it gets much reduced, so hoping the lip will give me the reduction while sitting upright.

Will post more once I have some results. I was torn between the Lip and a replacement Givi windscreen, given that the Clearviews are still not available for the 400, but decided that the Givi was a bit larger than I was looking for.

I've also got a Givi SR115 monokey mounting bracket, the V46 monokey box, and the V46 brake light accessory all on order, should be in next week.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
There seems to be a lot of pro & con over the Laminar Lip, I had one on my BMW it was useless, I have one on my 400 stock windshield and it does help "kick" the air over the top of my head.
I have a Givi shield but wanted to use it only in the winter, so far so good.

Looking forward to your report.
One thing I have to say, I emailed asking for the Velcro "dots" they mailed me two sets in a few days, no charge, now that's customer service :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The velcro that is used is very heavy duty -- not at all fabric hook-and-loop fastener but rather a sort of interlocking plastic mesh that's very strong. I found some strips of it at Radio Shack for a reasonable price, though I have an extra set of dots it's nice to know that larger quantities are only a Radio Shack away!

·
Registered
806 Posts
My Lip worked "ok" as placed on the shield by using the directions. So I used the spare dots and moved it up literally as far as it would go, with the upper dots right on the very lip of the OEM shield. With it set like that, I can run donw the Interstate at 80MPH and receive no effects of the wind. So if the lip doesn't meet your expectations, move it up like I did.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would have been helpful for me to have posted -- I stuck my highest velcro dot just below the top edge of the windscreen, feeling like that would have been the best spot for it to push the wind as much over me as possible. Figured that if I wasn't impressed there would be no further possibilities for placement and I would stop using it and go with a Givi windscreen or the always-soon-to-be-released Clearview.

·
Registered
806 Posts
The benefit of the lip, as listed on their web site, isn't just the amount of wind that it blocks, but the idea that it "funnels" what wind does come over the helmet DIRECTLY over the center so there is no buffeting from the wind going every which way.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
My Lip helped with over the top buffeting, raising the stream to forehead area from square in the face. I'm 6'2" with 32" inseam. It did little/nothing for around the side wind buffeting for me, on shoulders and arms. The Givi was a big step in the right direction. I am still planning on installing the vent in my Givi. Our 3 year old had other plans last weekend though, requiring 5 stitches on his forehead. Tonight is poker night so maybe tomorrow? :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the same experience as Selias. My Laminar Lip is alway to the top and moves the air up a bit, but at 6'2" I also need a couple more inches reduce the beating at highway crusing speeds. The Givi shield shipped from Az Motorsports on Friday. I'll be installing that and the Comagination modulator next weekend.

I'll just hang onto the stock shield and Lip - unless someone wants to purchase.

Travis

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The results are in. A bit disappointing.

In all honesty I would have to say that there indeed was a reduction in the buffeting felt, but there wasn't $75 worth of reduction. For, say, $40, I would say the Lip was a good purchase. But since it was almost twice that price, my experience says that it's really not all that and a bag of chips, too. Your results may differ.

Guess it's time to invest in a Givi...

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Crosswinds and screen or lip

This is sort of a newbie (and maybe a dumb) question since I haven't ridden a scooter on the freeway since the 80's when national speed limit was 55. I've also never experienced a windscreen, but am planning to get a Burgman 400 within the next year or sooner.

I'm wondering about crosswinds. How often do they occur, and how does the B400 handle them. I mean wouldn't a crosswind be more dangerous with a screen? I live in Los Angeles, and am 5'4."

Thanks.
LM

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The crosswinds you will get in L.A. won't be much of an issue (IMHO). Yes, you get some, mostly from trucks (etc.) but mostly it's a riding technique you have to get used to. You are not really blown around like you might imagine. In fact, I found less with my Givi than I had with the stock screen and the side wind hitting my body/shoulders. For me it's not an issue and I've had 40-60 MPH side gusts once or twice as a front blew in. You will have to adjust but it comes naturally after some experience (not that it isn't nerve-wracking at times!). Hope this helps you, LM

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Givi windscreen on order... :)

Also on order is a Givi topcase (V46) and mounting plate (SR115). Seems to be a bit backordered, indicated to ship in 7 days. :?

Also, I can't speak highly enough about Jac Vinson's handy-dandy "o-ring" cruise control for the 400. Works a treat!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Yes, I believe CAT gets the Kudos too! ;)
fat AND UV resistant, who could ask for anything more?
When I use all 5 of my $1.49 cheapo o-rings i intend on ordering a fatty-yellow one too. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
GIVI Windshield

I am 6' 2" and have about 600 km's on my 400. I installed a GIVI windshield a couple of days ago and have certainly noticed a differenc in the helmut buffeting but now get a solid push forward from the wind currents. Fells like someone has a big hand on my back pushing me towards the handle bars. Anybody else expereince this? I am assuming it is related to the vacum created by the much larter GIVI windshield. Is this the type of thing that vents would help with?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts