Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I loved Lambrettas back in the mid-sixties. A lot of my friends had them. But looking at these pics does not ring my chimes. I think the modern super scoots are way better looking, and more functional in design. I hope they make a go of it, but at the same time, I'll be somewhat surprised if they do. There are fans of vintage scooters out there. But would they buy one of these - or stick to the actual restored vintage models? Time will tell.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I bought my first and only scooter in 1970. It was a blue and white 150 cc Lambretta. The scoot was really pretty. I do not recognize those yellow pictures as a Lambretta. Anyway, while I thought I was hot stuff on this scoot, it was the most unreliable (always needing repairs) mechanical thing I ever owned. It was equal to the Fiat in being undependable. As a result, I will never buy anything mechanical again from Italians!

I am hoping to buy the Burgie 400 in March as soon as I sell my Suzuki Savage.

Good-luck with it.

Evelyn

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Geez! That is pretty low - comparing anything to a Fiat! :twisted: I think they possibly had the worst build quality of any car ever sold in the USA...

The Lambrettas that my friends had in the mid-sixties seemed to be reliable. I don't recall them having any problems.

The worst motorcycle I ever had for reliability was a Ducati. :wink:

But (to give our Italian friends a break) the worst car I ever had for reliability was a Buick. GM build quality in the early eighties was not so good...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Well when I was living in Venezuela at the time, practically the only two things you could buy were Fiat's and Lambretta's. My friends did buy the Honda Rebel; a 350 bike don't remember the name; a dirt bike and some other bike. I, wanting to not ride a "boy's" bike opted for the Lambretta. Ugh, big mistake, but she sho nuff were purty! And I did have some fun getting around.

·
Registered
925 Posts
At the Dealer Expo next weekend, there will be an unveiling of the new Lambretta!! Luckily, since we are a dealer of the brand that is bringing this classic back, I get to attend the party :D Should be very interesting.

·
Registered
100 Posts
pauljo said:
Geez! That is pretty low - comparing anything to a Fiat! :twisted: I think they possibly had the worst build quality of any car ever sold in the USA...
Worse than the Yugo?

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
GADawg said:
pauljo said:
Worse than the Yugo?
Quite possibly. A friend of mine opened the driver's door on his Fiat - and it fell off!

Q: Why did Yugos have electrically heated rear windows?

A: To keep your hands warm while pushing. :lol:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
There is something to be said for the "standard" scooter look, but like pauljo I like the super scoots better.
But in my case I could see buying one for nostalgic reasons, but not to replace my Burgman. :)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Well,
I just got back from the Dealer Expo earlier and thought I would report on the new Lambretta. You can't hardly tell a difference between the new and the old, which I guess is good for the die hard fans. Personally, I don't really like the styling. The engine looks really nice though. Sounds pretty good also. My area rep said it hit 75 with plenty of throttle to spare. Not too shabby for a 250cc. It seemed to recieve plenty of good press over the weekend, almost impossible to get close to it after the showing on Friday.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts