Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this? Can you just 'wing' it as far as motel rooms? Or do you have to make reservations? Actual miles? Any tips or suggestions?
This may be our honey moon.
Thank you.
Mike and Lynda.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
There are several riders that have done this.
As far as I know, they just 'wing-it' as far as motel rooms.
Remember...you will need to carry endorsement from your
insurance company...just in case.
You will also need a Passport Card for surface travel to
a 'foreign' country. Applications are available at the Post Office...
You get a wallet-size card...sorta looks like a drivers license.
About half the cost of a regular Passport.
Along the north shore of Lake Superior is the town of
Two Rivers....ya gotta stop at Betty's Pies....right on
Hiway 62, overlooking the shoreline. Need I say more.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
TIme of year is important - mid June is ideal as you have long daylight hours. It's pretty sparse tho - you have to like trees. I'm told it's pretty scenic.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Fun trip with lots of things to stop and see along the way. ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Once you cross into Canada, WATCH your speed. I did that trip some years back, and remember seeing highway signs showing fines for speeding up to $10,000 dollars. They are serious about that over there.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Living in Northern Michigan, I've spent a lot of time up on Highway 17, including a circumnavigation of Lake Superior on my Harley.

I've never had a problem with finding gas or motels. You do have to plan ahead a little as it's sparsely populated. Same thing can be said of the section in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

It's one of the all-time best rides!! (Take plenty of windshield cleaner if in Spring. If you hit a dragonfly hatch you'll need all you have. My Harley had no windshield and my helmet had no visor. [young and foolish] I can't even begin to explain the experience of hitting a thousand dragonflies at 60 MPH.)

Terrace Bay, ON -- Best Chinese food I've ever eaten!!

John

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Once you cross into Canada, WATCH your speed. I did that trip some years back, and remember seeing highway signs showing fines for speeding up to $10,000 dollars. They are serious about that over there.
that's actually for DUI but 50 KPH over ( which is very easy to do say coming into a town from the Trans-Canada Highway will get your bike impounded and your licence lifted for a week if the cop decides he wants to make you an example.
The fines are still very high as well.

If you stay with, or just a bit above traffic speeds you should be fine - Canada is not so anal about staying right at the speed limit and if you stay below 70 MPH indicated on the Burgman in 100KPH zone you will be fine.

It's coming into towns where you might get nailed by radar. Ontario has agreements with some of the US States ( NY for sure ) so not paying will have consequences.

If you have more questions sign up for the

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?11-General-Motorcycle-Discussion

There are knowledgeable riders there and maybe some police officers.

On a side note - having more Burgman riders on that forum would provide me with some help beating off the hordes of unbeleivers :D
and explaining why Burgman riders are grinning all the time.

This is the main thread I use for dispensing info
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...-about-those-big-scoots&highlight=burgman+650

And if you search on Burgman you can pass your comments along to dispel the myths and snarky comments.

•••

Also the - for Burgman riders - it's a good source for touring info not just in Canada but all over the US as well as more tour in the US than Canada.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?55-Cruising-Touring

Use the same nick you use here....hope to see more of you there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts