Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday Evening:
I decided that I would ride to Ludington, MI and cross Lake Michigan on the SS Badger carferry, ride to Green Bay, and then meet my family in Mackinaw City, MI for a few days of vacation.

I did some research on the forum re: tie down points on my scoot, looked for my straps (I have a dozen of these or so but can never find them when I need them), spent an hour getting the bike ready and packed up.

all ready for a mini adventure

Simba

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Monday July 13th:

I had set my alarm to wake up early as I don't like to rush. But after waking up I decided that today was not a good day to do this mini adventure and slept a little longer.

After an extra little snooze I woke up and decided to proceed with the ride as planned. My wife had looked at the weather forecast and was very concerned with what she saw. I reassured her I would postpone it if things got rough. I left home early enough to give me a nice relaxed ride to catch the 08:45AM ferry out of Ludington, MI.

The skies which had looked promising earlier started looking a little dark as I started going North on HWY 31 towards Ludington, Within a few minutes there was lightning and it started drizzling. As I was debating on what to do two things happened which made my decision--a sustained lightning bolt ahead and a sign to a McDonalds. I pulled into the McDs, took my laptop inside, and called my wife and told her not to drive to Mackinaw City as I would be coming back home later today. She was very happy that plans had been modified. We had planned on parasailing at Mackinaw City Tuesday but the forecast called for continuous rain the next two days.

pulled into McDs just in time:

I am sitting in the McDs as I type this ride report. The rain is still very heavy outside but the lightning has subsided a bit. i wonder how many apple pies I can eat without having to worry about loosing my gorgeous figure and how many cups of coffee I can drink without getting acute caffeine toxicity.

I will post my continued SS Badger adventures in the near future.

Simba

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
I have quite a few tie-down ratchet straps,
& a couple of cam-lock tie-down straps.
Having learned the hard way about handfulls
of loose straps, I now wrap my straps around
the ratchet, & keep them in zip-lock sandwich
bags, with a 3 X 5 note-card labeling what it is.
Gray 4 foot....Black 16 foot...Red 12 foot.
I have two of those fabric shopping bags from
the grocery store I keep my straps in...one bag
with the straps I use for my scooter on my trailer,
& the other bag with all the spare ratchet straps.
Works for an old guy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Michigan Adventure

Simbaboy,

We have all had those trips where the weather didn't cooperate. Hope you had fun anyways.

If I can ask, shat year is your Burgman and what is your GPS and how did you mount it? I have a 2011 650 and need to mount a GPS.

Burgman6301

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have quite a few tie-down ratchet straps,
& a couple of cam-lock tie-down straps.
Having learned the hard way about handfulls
of loose straps, I now wrap my straps around
the ratchet, & keep them in zip-lock sandwich
bags, with a 3 X 5 note-card labeling what it is.
Gray 4 foot....Black 16 foot...Red 12 foot.
I have two of those fabric shopping bags from
the grocery store I keep my straps in...one bag
with the straps I use for my scooter on my trailer,
& the other bag with all the spare ratchet straps.
Works for an old guy.
Good idea. I don't keep the straps well and then have to spend time looking for them and also to get them to work right.

Simba

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Simbaboy,

We have all had those trips where the weather didn't cooperate. Hope you had fun anyways.

If I can ask, shat year is your Burgman and what is your GPS and how did you mount it? I have a 2011 650 and need to mount a GPS.

Burgman6301
Thanks. May try again soon! My Burgman is a 2006. My wife also has the same yr and model.
My GPS is a Garmin 2595. Our family uses it for our car trips as well. This GPS allows me to plan my dual sport (mostly dirt) on my computer then load the route to the GPS.

I have placed it on my bike using velcro and also reinforced the case using a couple of zip ties. Not the most elegant solution but cheap and works well for me.

Simba

on my dual sport

and on my Burgman 650

case is a waterproof GPS case from ebay/amazon. For the Burgman use I just take the handlebar 'clamp' off.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Monday July 13th Continued:

While still at McDs a bunch of old timers came in for Sr coffee and breakfast. Two of them saw the helmet on my table and came to talk to me. They wanted to know what kind of bike, asked me about ride comfort, etc! I was happy to talk 'bike' as they were genuinely interested. I have had that experience whenever I have been on the Burgman.

About an hour later the worst of the storm had past and there was no more lightning. Only a light drizzle remained. I said my farewells to the guys at McDs and decided to head towards Ludington. I was only about 20 minutes away and I wanted to see where I would be leaving from in the next few days.

Ludington. Its an interesting looking little town.

The history of the ferries is interesting. Here is The Badger's sister ship--The Spartan.

I decided to ride back home. Who knows, I may get to ride the Badger in the next couple of days.

Simba

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Took the ferry eastbound back in the early
60's with Mom & Dad & 3 younger brothers...
it was the long way to get from the Chicago
area to the Detroit area.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Sounds like a good trip. Me and my wife did that a few years back, 5 days and 1,200 miles.

What time of day did you cross the bridge? We did it about 8:00 in the morning, for the wind.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will reattempt Wed AM on the 08:45 ferry out of Ludington.
Then, ride on to Mac City to be with family.
Simba

·
Registered
352 Posts
Monday July 13th Continued:

The history of the ferries is interesting. Here is The Badger's sister ship--The Spartan.

I decided to ride back home. Who knows, I may get to ride the Badger in the next couple of days.

Simba
This picture is terrific! Calendar-worthy, imho. :)

Good decision to postpone the trip. Not so sure about the apple pies and coffee. ;) :D

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
This is my go to for plotting rain avoidance

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/full_loop.php

Mind you - we were on a cross continent trip and no set time but still very useful .....you can tunnel into an area by clicking on.

I was a soggy boy today for a while as well.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I went to Lawrence University, and have thought that if I ever rode up for a reunion I'd cross Lake Michigan on the Badger to avoid the Chicago-Milwaukee mess. Too bad you didn't get to do it; I would have enjoyed learning more.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to Lawrence University, and have thought that if I ever rode up for a reunion I'd cross Lake Michigan on the Badger to avoid the Chicago-Milwaukee mess. Too bad you didn't get to do it; I would have enjoyed learning more.
got it done Wed July 15th. i really enjoyed it and will have further report here later.

Thanks,
Simba

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
here is the rest of the story on the Badger Trip---I am glad I got it done.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/mid-michigan-easy-living.1072464/page-3

Simba

easy secure tie down. I kept the bike on the side stand, short bungie cords on the brake levers, and two ratchet straps on the seat. The bike felt very secure and I had no problems.

I have ridden the Tunnel of Trees several times on different bikes. I had the most fun on the Burgman 650.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Great pics. I used to live in Milwaukee and loved riding the ferry.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts